Province Stability?

Rewjeo

Chieftain
I'm playing a Bulgaria campaign in RFCE++ currently, and I have seen all of the civilizations east of me collapse. It's 1206 AD currently, and other than France holding a couple cities around Jerusalem, there is everything from Tunis and Turkey east up for grabs. The problem, though, is that all the provinces are unstable. In fact, some of the provinces I control (Morea up through Moldova) are unstable. I have a good stability rating right now since I have a manor house, courthouse, and castle in all of my cities, but wouldn't expanding into that territory tank my stability? What do you do to get provinces to become stable again? Ones that I've held for 400 years are still unstable. I guess I'm assuming that that is what causes a negative expansion stability value, and that's really the biggest problem for my stability rating.

There's nothing you can do to change the stability rating of provinces. Stability is set based on the historical expansion of each civ - Bulgaria never expanded into the Middle East, so those provinces are all set as unstable.

Stability for some provinces can change depending on new civilization spawns. I don't recall any specific examples off the top of my head, but I'm guessing you might have seen some of your Eastern provinces go down in stability when Serbia spawned.

You can also use the Imperialism civic to help your stability if you want to expand into unstable areas.

Yeah, we don't have dynamic province stability in the sense that a given unstable province "improves" to OK then maybe even stable if you hold it long enough
This stabilizing process is rather represented with building those stability boosting buildings in the cities throughout your occupation of the territory

Mluo said it perfectly right: the only change in the preset stability attributes of the provinces is when a new civ spawns
Some examples: France looses many stable provinces to Burgundy and Germany in the 9th century, a couple OK provinces in Austria changes unstable for Hungary in 1282, or the Byzantine lose some of their core provinces on the Ottoman spawn

Okay, thank you. I'm currently running vassalage since both Hungary and Serbia offered themselves up as vassals to me, but once I can get into another Golden Age I'll make that switch. For now I just have to deal with the Ottomans who are bound to start causing me problems soon.

Also, is province stability what causes negative expansion stability? I'm at 15|-24 there right now, so fixing that -24 would be incredibly helpful.

I suggest to check the stability guide in the reference folder of the mod if you want a little deeper look into the stability mechanics

You can check the RFCE reference folder for an up-to-date stability guide. I think RFCE++ hadn't done any significant changes to stability.

Okay, thank you guys for that.

However, I'm having a problem with the Ottomans and I figure I should just keep posting problems here rather than in a new thread. As far as I can tell, it's impossible to not be destroyed by them. After three turns, two thirds of my army is either dead from plague or defected, and besides that I simply cannot win. I will send twice as many units into battle and the game will say odds are on my side, but if I'm lucky I win battles 10% of the time it says I will. So, uh, what can I do other than use the worldbuilder to delete my entire army and their entire army every turn?

It's been a while since I've played Bulgaria but I don't recall having much of a problem with the Ottomans. If you're saying your units are defecting - there's your problem. If you intend to hold onto territories in the Ottoman spawn, you'd better build up a huge army and keep it back home until you need it so it doesn't defect. Odrin is the only city in the normal Bulgarian expansion zone that should flip - just put a ton of units in Constantinople and you shouldn't have much to worry about.

Plague shouldn't be that deadly - and it should hit the Ottomans just as badly. Regarding the luck...not much I can say, you're just getting really unlucky.

In my experience plague kills 50-75% of your troops that are garrisoning cities.

I decided to just let them take my Turkish cities, and it really helped my stability. We're still at war, but they're weak and have the "Things are going badly for us in this war" relation modifier, so I'm hoping I can get them to capitulate.

Edit: Yup, capitulated and converted to Orthodoxy. Thank you, guys. Oh, and Odrin's borders briefly fell back to just the tile with the city itself, but other than that nothing happened. Overall, this has actually gone pretty well despite the frustrations I've had.

Top Bottom