provincial growth forumla

disorganizer

Deity
In this informational(!) poll, there was shown support for the idea i would like to lay down here for further discussion:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29879

In the start of the game, we will have the problem that for a long time, only few governors will have a job. This will not only render the senate useless, but also reduces the number of involved citizens.

Reason:
At the moment, the provinces are laid out as constitutionally set by natural borderlines. This normally means 5-10 cities per province.
We will not have 5 cities very quick and also we wont have more than 50 cities rather soon to have the 10 governors we have now.

Possible solution:
We could implement a proposal called "provincial growth formula".
* in the start, every city is trated as a province
* from the start on, we have an ongoing debatte about provincial border redesign.
* every term, we poll the proposed redesign coming out of the discussion.
* the redesign joins provinces, so we will have an average of around 10 provinces and as such 10 governors all the time.

Example:
We start with 1 city. So we will have 1 governor (no change till now). Soon there will be a second city. With the proposal, we would now have 2 governors. The old scheme would only give us 1 here. The 3rd city will give us the 3rd governor and so on.
In the mean time, there will be a discussion about which cities to join to a province.
We should at that moment think of about 2-3 cities per province. If we have 10 cities at the time of poll for the redesign, we will end up back with 3 governors again. The new provinces will also use 2-3 cities (just an example!). So when we reach 30 cities (or earlier if suitable), we will again rediscuss borderlines and merger of provinces to reduce the number of provinces to a number between 3-5 again.

Summary:
With the proposal we will gain 3-10 governors during most time of the game. We will not have to change major rules (only standards maybe) and we wont take power away from anybody, thus we will include more citizens in the decission process of the game. The disadvantage will be that the province borders change, but this was done this game also and will propably be done in the next game anyways due to various reasons.

Now all points here are up for discussion, especially the numbers.

I would like to see a worked out standard in the end, maybe a judge or shaitan could help with that one... And we will then citizen poll it.
After that, we should give it to the judges for review and get someone from the executive to push it as standard.

I think you have some good ideas here.

But given the complexity of this, I don't ever want to hear you complaining about how complex our rules are in other areas ;-)

Well, its not very complex.
Just an ongoing discussion on provincial redesign with a small start and consequent improoving of them. The geograpical society (or a future renamed office coresponding to this) could organize and sponsor discussion and polls, as they have the maps for it.

Yeah, that's what I said about the Creation Day thread. Only 8 people responded. And that thread is about the start of the game...

Top Bottom