Provincial Palace - Rewarding Domination Victories

Enginseer

Salientia of the Community Patch
Supporter
It is no use putting to death the men you have conquered; for their land will, by the laws of nature, breed another generation which will be similar. The character of these men is determined by the nature of the air of their country and the waters they habitually drink. The best course for you is to accept them as they are, and to seek to accommodate them to your concepts by winning them over through kindness.
--Aristotle's Lesson to Alexander the Great​

Provincial Palace is a Vox Populi-exclusive mod that adds a new building upon capturing an enemy Capital: the Provincial Palace. This mod is designed to boost the bonuses of having an enemy Capital in your possession and was intended to reward those who have captured foreign capitals by making a captured London stand out more from captured English cities and the same goes for a captured Babylon from captured Babylonian cities.

Features
  • A Building exclusive to foreign Capitals that grants a similar bonus to the original palace itself with the exception that it grants +1 Culture and Tourism to the original palace.
Credits

janboruta for artwork​

Last edited:
So it's a buff for warring; Do you think it's under-performing right now? Many would say the opposite.
Captured capitals stands out from regular cities anyway, because they have wonders, buildings and citizens.
Do those provincial palaces also get bonuses from Goddess of Beauty and Goddess of Protection?

So it's a buff for warring; Do you think it's under-performing right now? Many would say the opposite.
Captured capitals stands out from regular cities anyway, because they have wonders, buildings and citizens.
Do those provincial palaces also get bonuses from Goddess of Beauty and Goddess of Protection?
I just think with the ever-increasingly strong warmonger fervor that you should be somewhat rewarded with a similar increasing reward such as the Provincial Palace itself. Each Provincial Palace grants you +15% City Connection Gold, +1 Culture, and Tourism to your Capital. They're not exactly a palace, so they won't get bonuses from religion and policies.

Captured capitals do stand out in the UI and Victory Conditions obviously along with wonders, more infrastructure, and more population. Infrastructure can be destroyed and the population may be relocated. This effect is more significant in the early eras than the later eras. So a provincial palace that provides a sum of diverse yields in the early game is very beneficial to the early striver for warmongering than the late game world dominator. And that was the main intention of the mod.

Overall, AI will build this building equivalent to a flavor of a courthouse (which even if the captured capital is puppeted, they'll heavily prioritize it)

Thought I would never post an update for it, but

• One slight performance improvement. Not that big, but still a marginal improvement.
  • Provincial Palace no longer gets bonus from the Ideological Wonders.
  • Provincial Palace no longer provides +15% Gold from City Connections.
  • Provincial Palace's Production Cost increased from 160 to 200.
  • Provincial Palace's Production Cost increase by +10% per City.
  • Provincial Palace can now be built in conquered City-State Capitals.
Not save-game compatible.

Any complaints and concerns can be directed here.

Last edited:
Hi Enginseer! Thanks for all of your great work! I've got an issue, though. I was playing a game using your wonderful Civics & Reform mod when the update to Provincial Palace came out. Now, Civics & Reform doesn't show up as an icon on the screen and the Provincial Palace is buiild-able in ALL of my cities. Any ideas on how to resolve these issues?

Hi Enginseer! Thanks for all of your great work! I've got an issue, though. I was playing a game using your wonderful Civics & Reform mod when the update to Provincial Palace came out. Now, Civics & Reform doesn't show up as an icon on the screen and the Provincial Palace is buiild-able in ALL of my cities. Any ideas on how to resolve these issues?
I am seeing the Provincial Palace available to build in ALL cities, Puppets, Annexed, former capitals, non-capitals, etc. I am using VP 2-17-3 but not the Civics & Reform mod, in case this helps.

I am seeing the Provincial Palace available to build in ALL cities, Puppets, Annexed, former capitals, non-capitals, etc. I am using VP 2-17-3 but not the Civics & Reform mod, in case this helps.
wtf shouldn't b possible i check

hello i am unable to replicate this. are you using 3uc/4uc by any chance with provincial palace?

hello i am unable to replicate this. are you using 3uc/4uc by any chance with provincial palace?
I am yes, along with Unique City States. This is my first time trying Provincial Palace and Unique City States. Did I miss a compatibility issue warning with 3us/4uc? If so, I am certainly sorry. I was very excited to try your other stuff!

Regarding UCS, I just noticed that the Mound improvement is available to my workers and all AI Civs, but Cahokia is not even in my current game. So, somehow there are improvements available to workers that should not be and the Provincial Palace is even being built by Puppets and available in cities other than a conquered Capital. Two different mods, but similar in that the availability check is failing somewhere. I'll go back and read the three Mod pages better.

Thanks for all the work! I have gotten a ton of fun out it, while quietly lurking.

I am yes, along with Unique City States. This is my first time trying Provincial Palace and Unique City States. Did I miss a compatibility issue warning with 3us/4uc? If so, I am certainly sorry. I was very excited to try your other stuff!

Regarding UCS, I just noticed that the Mound improvement is available to my workers and all AI Civs, but Cahokia is not even in my current game. So, somehow there are improvements available to workers that should not be and the Provincial Palace is even being built by Puppets and available in cities other than a conquered Capital. Two different mods, but similar in that the availability check is failing somewhere. I'll go back and read the three Mod pages better.

Thanks for all the work! I have gotten a ton of fun out it, while quietly lurking.
it is assumed that 3uc/4uc is incompatible with any lua modmods(which this use) since I've noticed a huge pattern.

I do like this Mod and what it does. But The icon is blur ( I hate blur )
Here is an alternative Icon :

provincialPalace.png

This one is extracted from (BNW) 20 French National Wonders by Salamandre
Designed by Janboruta, It's an illustration of the Luxembourg Palace in Paris

To have it, extract, and copy/replace the content of Provincial Palace_New Icon.7z in \MODS\Provincial Palace (v 2)

EDIT : I just notice that the icon I suggest is the one used for the Swedish Skola ! :blush:
So, the blur one is not so bad for now ! :D

Attachments

• Provincial Palace _New Icon.7z
    51.8 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Janboruta's pretty chill, but he would like if you gave credit/asked permission. I'd bet he'd be cool with it if you asked first.

The Luxembourg Palace icon is from vanilla, not mine.

If anything, the person behind French National Wonders mod used two different icons without permission (Chenoncau and a Vegvar icon from JFD's Hungary). I don't really mind my stuff being used freely, as long as the mod authors where the art is used are fine with it as well. I am not active enough recently to really restrict use of any old art I've done, so do feel free if any icon strikes your fancy. Credit is always welcome, though. ;)

He must mean Vaniliy "Vanilla" Svensson, a famous user known in certain parts of the internet. Among the less enlightened he's also known as base Civilization 5. Vanilla typically means unmodified from how it came or was released. For instance I never play vanilla Vox Populi because I always modify tech rate, and I also change it so bonus resources are immediately discovered.

Err, I know it's a bit of necroposting because this is a very old mod, but it worked until 3.6
I really like this mod, it adds a bit of nice flavour to old conquered capital cities, and I used it since my first time I played VP in long ago 1.x version or whatsoever

Anyway, before 3.6 Provincial Palace was working correctly, only being buildable in conquered capital cities.
Now there's a bug or something that make this building buildable in every city we have. But not our capital city. I didn't test if there's a bug with conquered cities or else

Err, I know it's a bit of necroposting because this is a very old mod, but it worked until 3.6
I really like this mod, it adds a bit of nice flavour to old conquered capital cities, and I used it since my first time I played VP in long ago 1.x version or whatsoever

Anyway, before 3.6 Provincial Palace was working correctly, only being buildable in conquered capital cities.
Now there's a bug or something that make this building buildable in every city we have. But not our capital city. I didn't test if there's a bug with conquered cities or else
I'm not sure what to say.

I'm not seeing the issue.

Perhaps I need logs? https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/how-to-enable-logging.487482/

Top Bottom