Provoking War

Shep11

Chieftain
sup y'all. i've been playing Civ for years but recently got back into it, never played BTS but am now obsessed.

question: what's the best way to provoke someone into declaring war on you? for example, i'm late in the game, dominating the world, and have a defensive pack with russia. I want Korea to declare war on me (I'm Japan) so that Russia and I will be at war with them.

right now, they're refusing to talk to me. I put frigates outside their borders and used blockade (not sure if that works in peace time though??)

not sure what else I need to do to provoke them into declaring war on me. any tips or ideas would be appreciated!!!

They aren't going to declare on you at all. As your combined power is probably much much higher than Wangs. But generally getting an AI to declare on you isn't a good plan, just declaring on them, and bribing in a buddy to the war will get you much farther.

There's no guarantee. Depends on the civ. Some can be somewhat timid like Korea. If your power is sufficiently higher than their power the likelihood is low unless the civ is a real warmonger. Otherwise, try to get our diplo as negative as possible. Demand gold, techs and resources. Trade with worst enemies. Adopt an opposing religion, if they are still in a religion. Get them to Furious and they may go into Fist mode. However, it still may take some time for them to actually declare..all up to the roll of the dice.

Not sure peaceful blockading even works and, regardless, doesn't get negative modifiers. Look at the foreign advisor and note the positve and negative modifiers you have with Wang and just make sure you eliminate positive modifiers (open borders, resource trades) and increase the negative modifiers any way possible.

Another thing you can do, if there is an open bit of land next to Wang, is settle a BS city right up against his borders. This will add more negative modifiers and greatly increase his chance to attack you.

You might delete some older units and some less experienced units you have around to lower your power some as well. You can still queue up production of units all over your empire, but just don't complete them yet. For instance, in HE city, you can build 1 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Calvary, etc. and keep them held in the queue before finishing. That way, when and if Wang DOWs you, cities can spit out quite a few units in just a few turns. Plus, you can use draft, whipping to get out a huge army quickly.

I am not a pro-player and as such, I am often reluctant to declare a war on Civs which friendly to me, although I know I have to kill/vassalage them:blush:

What Lymond said. But I have tried most of those things and still not had much success so I don't think it's worth the effort. (except for a few demands of course since you can benefit from those)

different AIs have different power thresholds when they are willing to declare war (also different for beeing on the same continent or intercontinental).

as a rule of thumb, once you have more than 130% of their power (1.3 theirs) even warmongers like Monty won't declare).
Peaceful leaders like Ghandi or Mansa will even shy away if you have like 90% of their power.

I think blockading with frigates doesnt work unless you are at war. You need privateers.
Also you can try to make someone stop trading with them. (They love this)
But as stated above i think the fastest way to make them loathe you is making lots of arrogant demands
(You hate AI when they do it to you, right? It also works in the other way)

I don't think there's a limit to how high "your spy was caught causing trouble" demerit can go, but it's a lot of micro management

Top Bottom