PS3 Gotw (7/27 -8/2)

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
Just finished the GOTW with a spaceship win in 2016 AD on Emperor level. :)

This week's Civ is the Americans.

Here are some notes from my game:

Spoiler :

First time I tried this game, my second city got flipped by the Egytians. :p So be careful not to build too close to Thebes in the beginning! It's also important to focus on culture early on so your culture is not too inferior. I settled the great person in Washington and built the Stonehenge there. It's not a useful wonder, but I built it mainly for culture (and it's cheap to build).

It's a good idea to form a warrior army and use it to attack the barb camps. Otherwise you will waste lots of turns healing.

The Knights Templar is easy to get in this week's game. However, the single Knight unit was not very useful, since AI city usually has archer army defending. The best you can do is use it to harass AI units on the field, or maybe attack a non-capital city if the city has a hill next to it.

Focusing on culture paid off and I was able to flip cities early. A great person allowed me to flip the Aztec city of Texoco which was very far away. Shortly after that, my superior culture flipped two more Spanish cities, which were above Texoco. :beer:

I mainly focus on culture and defense in the first half of the game, and didn't begin to attack AI cities until I built Leo's Workshop and upgraded my units to tanks and modern infantry. After that, I first destroyed the Spanish, then the Japanese, then the Egyptians. Flying Fortress (bombers) are really useful because of their mobility. I had like 6 wings of Flying Fortresses and they made capturing cities so much easier. After capturing all Aztec cities except their capital, I surrounded the city and also used 4 battleship fleets for naval blockade. After that, it's just waiting for spaceship to arrive Alpha Centauri...

im not going to give away all my secrets, ill just say that it is relatively easy to take over egypt in about the 1600s with knight armies. i got a domination victory roughly in 1990, although the gotw never counts my scores...

Which level you played?

Last time it took a day for my score to appear on the leaderhead... Let's see how long it takes this time...

I just finished in 1500 BC (domination, of course) at I think it can be done much earlier. Its funny how you can use the great person to speed up things.

I didn't see the game in the leaderboard - it seems that it need a few hours to appear.

I got it in Deity, not touching the Egyptian until the end of the game. My culture was so strong that I flipped 2 cities from the Egyptian without wasting a warrior.

I got it in Deity, not touching the Egyptian until the end of the game.

The way I play, the Egyptians live only 5 turns. Here is how:

Spoiler :
turn 1:
- put your capital where the settler is at the begining
- put the capital to work only the two forests (manually)
- do not settle Karl Marx; move him one SW and one W
turn2:
- move Karl Marx SW to get 10 gold from the landmark and another one SW
turn 3:
- manually set research on Horseback Riding
- only after this take the hut and you will receive HBR
- sell Karl Marx for 15 gold (it is the best he can do in this game)
- rush a horseman in the capital
- take the barbarian village SW of the capital - it will give you 50 gold
turn 4:
- rush another horseman in the capital and go to the other barbarian village
- move the first horseman S towards Egypt
turn 5:
- take the other barbarian village and rush another horseman
- move the first horseman S, meet Cleopatra and make peace (you will see her capital empty but you are out of moves)
turn 6:
- declare on Cleopatra and take her capital (her only warrior is no fortified)

Continuing this way I managed today to have a win in 2100 BC, but I don't know if it will register ( :mad: ).

I think also that by moving the initial settler one place you can get Egypt one turn earlier.

The way I play, the Egyptians live only 5 turns. Here is how:

Spoiler :
turn 1:
- put your capital where the settler is at the begining
- put the capital to work only the two forests (manually)
- do not settle Karl Marx; move him one SW and one W
turn2:
- move Karl Marx SW to get 10 gold from the landmark and another one SW
turn 3:
- manually set research on Horseback Riding
- only after this take the hut and you will receive HBR
- sell Karl Marx for 15 gold (it is the best he can do in this game)
- rush a horseman in the capital
- take the barbarian village SW of the capital - it will give you 50 gold
turn 4:
- rush another horseman in the capital and go to the other barbarian village
- move the first horseman S towards Egypt
turn 5:
- take the other barbarian village and rush another horseman
- move the first horseman S, meet Cleopatra and make peace (you will see her capital empty but you are out of moves)
turn 6:
- declare on Cleopatra and take her capital (her only warrior is no fortified)

Continuing this way I managed today to have a win in 2100 BC, but I don't know if it will register ( :mad: ).

I think also that by moving the initial settler one place you can get Egypt one turn earlier.

How are you going to get HBR if you work two forests the whole beginning of the game?
I don't believe this is possible on King or Higher.

How are you going to get HBR if you work two forests the whole beginning of the game?
I don't believe this is possible on King or Higher.

There's a friendly village to the west of your capital. If you manually set research to Horseback Riding before reaching the village, it will reveal the knowledge of Horseback Riding. You must set your research to Horseback Riding - if you aren't researching anything you just get gold, and if you research another tech you'll get that one.

There's a friendly village to the west of your capital. If you manually set research to Horseback Riding before reaching the village, it will reveal the knowledge of Horseback Riding. You must set your research to Horseback Riding - if you aren't researching anything you just get gold, and if you research another tech you'll get that one.

Yes, it is essential to set it manually. You must set it from the menu because as your research is zero you won't be asked to choose what to research.

Top Bottom