PS4 Officially announced

Do you plan on getting the PS4?

• Total voters

Mad Man

Your lord and master

Link to video.
So two days ago sony had a big press conference officially announcing the Playstation 4, there was no word yet on a exact MSRP or a exact release date (only that it will be out in time for the holiday season). The PS4 will feature will feature a single-chip processor (APU) custom-designed by AMD. It consists of an integrated CPU and GPU. The Sony PlayStation 4 system-on-chip integrates eight AMD x86 Jaguar cores, a custom AMD Radeon HD core, various special-purpose hardware blocks, as well as a multi-channel GDDR5 memory controller. The technologies found in the PlayStation 4 will be relatively similar to those in personal computers, which will probably make it easier for developers to make games for the PlayStation 4.

The graphics processing unit (GPU) will consist of 18 compute units based on GCN (Graphics Core Next) for a total of 1152 stream processors, resulting in a theoretical peak performance of 1.84 TFLOP/s. This computing power can be used for graphics, simulation, or a combination thereof. The GPU will also include dedicated graphics technology for seamless compression and decompression of video media.

I like the new controller :/ The video is pretty good though, Square Enix might as well have not been there. I love the sarcasm :D

Its not all bad though, the live streaming and video capture stuff is pretty good for the PS4. It will help reviewers and LPers. All the being able to watch people and your friends play games and invite someone to take control of your game remotely to play the hard part for you is removing the challenge and a little weird TBH.

8 GBs of RAM is excellent, consoles make much better use of their RAM than Windows PCs do. Hopefully the CPU (which is also x64bit) will be good too, although I doubt the GPU will be better than current mid-ranged AMD/ATI cards. Still, better CPU and 8 GBs of RAM will really improve things and let developers do a hell of a lot more.

Now hopefully Microsoft doesn't ruin gaming for everyone and have worse hardware for the new Xbox, seeing how most console games are made for the Xbox 360 first and other platforms second.

Unless it comes with a 42+" TV I won't be getting it until they release the slim version and its on sale, and I have money I don't need, IF I ever buy it at all.

When blizzard came out I was half expecting a Starcraft: Ghost announcement, or maybe even something on Titan. Alas, it was only D3.

The being able to play games while they're downloading sounds cool, but unless they have local servers, it probably won't work here in NZ, our internet is too crap, and not just on speed either. Still have a lot of fairly small data caps. :(

The being able to play games while they're downloading sounds cool

And was a touted feature of Windows Vista which nobody ever ended up using except for a few people Microsoft forced to.

I like the proposed specs, as well as that it's an AMD CPU and GPU (from a business/competition standpoint - AMD could stand to benefit from that volume of sales). Will I buy one? Very unlikely; I've yet to buy any console, and the exclusives that make me consider buying one are almost all on XBox.

The being able to play games while they're downloading sounds cool, but unless they have local servers, it probably won't work here in NZ, our internet is too crap, and not just on speed either. Still have a lot of fairly small data caps. :(

I thought Steam had something like this too (as in, some games would let you start playing as soon as some minimal amount was finished), but I can't recall anything ever happening from that, from a practical standpoint, either. And yeah, I've heard Internet in New Zealand isn't the greatest. Though supposedly New Zealand's internet bandwidth to the rest of the world will double if Kim Dotcom gets to build his proposed transpacific cable, which ought to help at least width the bandwidth/data caps. Good luck with that though...

Is there much excitement in the console gaming community for the PS4? I own a PS3 (And a wii, in terms of consoles) and I find the PS3 more than adequate. Am I wrong in assuming that the only people wanting to upgrade would be people who either have a need to have the latest and the greatest or have more disposable money than they know what to do with? It just seems like a large investment for something that's not really necessary. Then again, I don't really use my ps3 very often either, I'm more of a PC gamer - so I suppose I'm a bit biased.

Not too keen on spending $600+ on a product that will leak my personal information, especially when I've already spent more than that on a PC that will leak my personal information through Steam.

The new generation should be a good thing for PC players anyway. Aged console hardware no longer dictates what we can have in games, and as the console(s) now basically have a PC hardware, you can expect PC ports coming and without too long delay (so no more Red Dead Redemption).

Consoles live and die based on the games. I am more of a PC gamer so the console is going to have to have some exclusives that I want in order for me to pony up. A new Suikoden game, for example, HINT HINT KONAMI.

The new generation should be a good thing for PC players anyway. Aged console hardware no longer dictates what we can have in games, and as the console(s) now basically have a PC hardware, you can expect PC ports coming and without too long delay (so no more Red Dead Redemption).

Now this i totally agree. Consoles hold the games industry back IMO, and have certainly been guilty of that the last couple of years. Most of the games i have played initially released on consoles barely make my computer sweat.

RE the playstation specs, i think this indicates that Microsoft have won the hardware war. Sony have gone ATI graphics and AMD chip set, which means (probably) microsoft have gone intel chipset and Nvidia graphics, which is a superior bundle IMHO.

I think the next gen console wars will be decided on software, distribution, and online features and price). Watch out for steam box as their software, distribution and online features are superb. There is a question over their hardware though.

I think Sony have ballsed it up somewhat though by not having backwards compatibility. I think that will understandably annoy many people.

I personally see the Nintendo systems as nothing more than a series of gimmicks at this point, and Microsoft has a slew of problems ranging from poor first-party support to inconsistent manufacturing and everything in between. When I eventually get a next-gen console, it will, almost guaranteed, be a PS4. For that reason, I'm glad it's announced now, as I can't afford a new console full-price.

Are you guys sure about that? The thing with PC gaming is that the hardware is always evolving and people are always upgrading, while a console will forever be stuck with the hardware it initially launches with. So while the PS4 might have impressive hardware today, in a couple years time you'd probably expect the industry to be far ahead of that. I haven't actually done any research, but moore's law and all that.

And wait, it's not backwards compatible with any of the previous consoles? Ha! That's gotta be the worst decision ever.

Are you guys sure about that? The thing with PC gaming is that the hardware is always evolving and people are always upgrading, while a console will forever be stuck with the hardware it initially launches with. So while the PS4 might have impressive hardware today, in a couple years time you'd probably expect the industry to be far ahead of that. I haven't actually done any research, but moore's law and all that.

And wait, it's not backwards compatible with any of the previous consoles? Ha! That's gotta be the worst decision ever.

Indeed, especially if they then ask for more money to make it backwards compatible. That will sting people. Who wants to have 2 consoles propped up under their TV anyway?

They did make some sort of online cloud thing where you can sync your PS3 and 4, and then download all of the PS3 games onto your PS4 for free, but the actual discs aren't the same.

I don't actually care about the backwards compatibility thing much at all, if they follow through on their promise of a "very beefy hard drive" then I am fully cool with downloading everything. I guess Steam has spoiled me, I prefer these days to just download games and have them exist from then on in my library. The only reason I still buy discs for PS3 games is because my PS3 hard drive is almost full and the download speeds from their network are usually ass, if they fix both of those problems then I'll be all aboard with the downloads. Provided they give me some way to download the PS3 games I've already bought without having to pay for them again, of course, because screw that.

I personally see the Nintendo systems as nothing more than a series of gimmicks at this point, ...

In terms of sales, Nintendo quite clearly won this generation of consoles. By quite a large margin last time I saw the figures.

Looks like the backwards compatibility via online won't be available at launch either.

In terms of sales, Nintendo quite clearly won this generation of consoles. By quite a large margin last time I saw the figures.

I'm not arguing that by any means, the Wii dominated. That's because it found success with non-gamers. So far, I don't see that happening with the Wii U. The Wii was a craze and fad that flew out the doors on day one. I remember families going all over town, trying to find one console. I could be wrong about the Wii U of course. What's more, if you are a gamer (which I am going to assume everyone on here is) then the Wii was a definitive downgrade from the Microsoft and Sony equivalents.

I'm under the impression that tablet and smart phone games would have made a decent dent into the Wii U's potential customer base.

Looks like the backwards compatibility via online won't be available at launch either.

The Wii may have sold really well, but it seems like most people who bought one didn't buy more than a handful of games at most and only a small percentage of Wii games are any good with the majority being shovelware. Even fewer games took advantage of the Wiimote as anything more than a gimmick. Most of those Wiis have spent more time gathering dust than anything.

RE the playstation specs, i think this indicates that Microsoft have won the hardware war. Sony have gone ATI graphics and AMD chip set, which means (probably) microsoft have gone intel chipset and Nvidia graphics, which is a superior bundle IMHO.
Not really no, AMD and Nvidia are more or less on par, it goes back and forth. Same with AMD vs Intel.

Indeed, especially if they then ask for more money to make it backwards compatible. That will sting people. Who wants to have 2 consoles propped up under their TV anyway?
Lots of people have multiple devices hooked up to their TV and have for decades. VCR, sound systems, DVD player, BluRay DVD player, followed by consoles. Plenty of console gamers own multiple consoles, and they don't take up that much room (even the big original PS3).

Top Bottom