PSA: Mac Release Wed 11/26

forty2j

King
Via GameAgent Blog: http://blog.gameagent.com/civilization-beyond-earth-mac-linux-dev-update-5/

Mac release for BE is coming tomorrow, Wednesday November 26. Also, they've expanded the system requirements such that the HD4000 and HD5000 and ATI HD4850 are officially supported, and the HD3000 unofficially works if you don't ask it to do too much.

Linux release has no announced date but is 2-3 weeks behind the Mac version.

Huzzah!

Yay! :D

STOP DON'T BUY!

CivBE is unfinished product! DON"T BUY AT FULL PRICE!

Million dollar question: Let's say PC releases a patch. Will it take WEEKS for the Mac to receive the same patch?

Million dollar question: Let's say PC releases a patch. Will it take WEEKS for the Mac to receive the same patch?

It will officially be "a challenge" to keep the game in sync in the early going. Aspyr doesn't get a copy of the patch code until Firaxis is ready to release it, and 2K's priority is shipping Windows software, not maintaining compatibility. It's a very strange relationship.

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping the Moderators/Staff can create a CivBE Macintosh forum soon after release (as has been done in the past with every other Civ game). Does anyone know the proper channels for such a request? Or perhaps they'll just add it without prompting?

I believe the great AlanH is still an active Mac Civ enthusiast, even if only for the technical support, but I'm not sure what official capacity he has on CivFanatics. Alan: If you read this, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

First thing needed out of the gate will be a "Installing Mods on CivBE for Mac" sticky, IMO. I imagine the process will be very similar to Installing Mods on Civ5 for Mac, but maybe with some caveats.

I've been playing CivBE on Parallels/Win8.1 for the past month with nearly a dozen mods. It's playable up to at least 400+ turns without a crash (Domination only settings). However, the graphics must be set to minimum, even on a 3.5GHz nMP with dual D500s (3GB VRAM x 2). So it will be great to play the game in all of its native OS glory.

But man, I would love to get some of those mods working soon. Thankfully, I have a long weekend to try to figure some of it out.

Cheers!
-P

I'm hoping the Moderators/Staff can create a CivBE Macintosh forum soon after release (as has been done in the past with every other Civ game). Does anyone know the proper channels for such a request? Or perhaps they'll just add it without prompting?
We see it and will believe it when it happens. :)

Getting a MAC CivBE forum up will depend upon the availability of Admins tomorrow, but will post to remind them.

Thanks for the prompt response, Leif!

And yes, given Mac dev history, I can understand being prudent ;) I really should take a 'believe it when I see it approach', but as a lifelong Civ player, it's difficult to curb the excitement :D

-P

STOP DON'T BUY!

CivBE is unfinished product! DON"T BUY AT FULL PRICE!

It is irritating that they're releasing the game for other systems but haven't put out a patch to fix the current version.

What's taking so long?

It is irritating that they're releasing the game for other systems but haven't put out a patch to fix the current version.

The "they" that are releasing the game for other OSes is not the "they" that are working on the patch.

The "they" that are releasing the game for other OSes is not the "they" that are working on the patch.

This. ^

Firaxis is the maker of the original PC game. Aspyr is a company affiliated with Macintosh that is porting it over to the Mac. Two different companies.

Still undecided as whether to advice my one civing Mac friend to get it or not.... am still playing but probablbadly not for long....

I've got it going on my Mac. For those of you with an Intel HD 3000, I do not recommend it unless you like painful gaming. It's verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry slow. Much slower than Civ V. Basically unplayably slow. Some types of graphics don't show up also, including the... hmm... basic resource icons isn't the right word... I mean the icons for energy, health, production, and science. Neither do any in the Civilopedia. Also the graphics are a bit stripey and have the occasional black voids.

edit: I don't know of a way to show framerates in BE, but the background animations (miasma, water, etc.) run at about two frames per second. Unfortunately, I could figure that out in my head. I wish there was a way to turn background animation off. I suspect that would help quite a bit.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-26 at 11.28.16 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-11-26 at 11.28.16 AM.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 241
Top Bottom