*Pssst* hey buddy, wanna buy my aqueduct?

dannyevilcat

DESTROYER OF FURNITURE
"Hmmm, maybe I was a little premature in building that aqueduct in that city. It's not goiing to grow at all. No problem, I'll just sell... WTF!? WHY CAN'T I SELL IT?!!!!"

This was me earlier today, upon realizing for the first time ever that aqueducts can't be sold off. I've simply never had to before.

This is really bad. If it requires maintance, I should be able to sell it, don't you think? It seems my civ is being run by the British Columbia NDP.

Here's what you could do. Boost science and luxury spending to the point where you will eventually have zero gold and where your improvements automatically get sold because you can't afford to maintain them, and see what happens to your aqueducts.

S1m0ne, this would be hard to do. I'd have to dispose of over 20,000 gold first, and, well, that kind of defeats the purpose of saving a measly gold per turn ;)

Thanks anyway :)

Originally posted by dannyevilcat
"Hmmm, maybe I was a little premature in building that aqueduct in that city. It's not goiing to grow at all. No problem, I'll just sell... WTF!? WHY CAN'T I SELL IT?!!!!"
Maybe next time you should look to see if the city will grow to size seven BEFORE you build an aquaduct. ;) That's what I always do.

Originally posted by willj
Maybe next time you should look to see if the city will grow to size seven BEFORE you build an aquaduct. ;) That's what I always do.

Or you can just wait until railways improve you irrigations.

Nah, that particular city is finished growing, period. I couldn't sleep, and I was blurry-eyed and bloated with money and in the middle of a golden age (not a pretty combination :lol: ), so I wasn't exactly paying much attention.

But that's not the point. The point is that I have a perfectly good aqueduct and no one wants to take it off my hands. You can have it for free! All the water you'll ever need!

But that's not the point. The point is that I have a perfectly good aqueduct and no one wants to take it off my hands. You can have it for free! All the water you'll ever need!
:lol: Yeh, I get your point. I also don't see why you can't sell or give away aquaducts or hospitals. I could see why you couldn't if the city is over size 7 or 12, but not when it's under that size.

I'll buy it for 3 cents and a handful of pocket lint....deal?

Yeah, it does kinda defeat the purpose...since you already spent the shields on it when you could have built a unit or two or something else.

S1m0ne, this would be hard to do. I'd have to dispose of over 20,000 gold first, and, well, that kind of defeats the purpose of saving a measly gold per turn ;)

Thanks anyway :)
Being a long time ally of the U.S., you could let the American Government take care of it. I'm sure 20,000 gold wouldn't last too long:lol:

Maybe you cant sell it because if you could you would just sell it after your city grows over size 6.....Maybe

Originally posted by Fr8monkey
Being a long time ally of the U.S., you could let the American Government take care of it. I'm sure 20,000 gold wouldn't last too long:lol:

But according to the Free Trade accords we have in place, as soon as he sells one Aqueduct, he'd have to allow the sale of all of them. :D

What I hate the most about this is when I capture an enemy city that has an aqueduct but: the city is in the toundra (so its only way to grow is through the sea squares but that's going to take a million years) and of course, the city is about a million miles away from my capital so it's completely corrupt anyway. Maybe I should just disband it... That pocket lint sounds pretty good now...

By the way, the city is size less than 7 obviously (otherwise we shouldn't be able to sell the aqueduct, that would be ok).

have you tried shrinking the city down to below size 6 and then selling it? not sure if it'll work, but its worth a shot.

Maybe Firaxis realized that nobody in their right mind would buy the aqueduct you wanted to sell.

hmmm... I always thought that you couldn't sell it after you hit size 7 but now I don't know... maybe it can never be sold.

Try this...

Abandon all your cities except one with an aqueduct.
Research 100% to get a deficit.
Give away all your money.
Disband all your units.
Now keep watch and note what improvements do not get destroyed through lack of maintenance.

I'm guessing the aqueduct and the hospital. Can you sell hospitals?

I've never been able to sell an aqueduct or hospital. You've also probably noticed that you don't ever destroy these improvements when you capture a city. I think it is hard-coded that once built it will always remain (and you will always have the maintenence) until the city is destroyed or abandoned.

Yes, even when I poprush/starve the SOB's to size 1, the hospital is still there, and can't be sold...makes modern conquest a bit expensive.

The answer to this is simple: just nuke the city until the undesired buildings are incinerated. It should only take 1 or 2 nukes to get the job done. You might want to remove any military units in the city before doing this.

Top Bottom