PTW : How will you play against human ?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by cycle, Sep 4, 2002.

1. cycle

cycle Chieftain

FaIaChad:

I couldn't agree more. As long as combat occurs in enemy territory, it doesn't hurt you at all. If your opponent is always on the defensive, he can't hurt you, and long term, this will be his downfall. Offense all the way.

I think we will also see more pillage raid. When you can't take that big city of his, just siege it and destroy all improvment. At some point, he'll have to come out. hehe. Artillery will rule that day also in these operations.

2. cgannon64

cgannon64 BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!

There will be HUGE changes. For example, MPPs and alliances will no longer be necessary. I could just agree with my friend to go to war---this eliminates the 20 turn crap. We could be eternal allies, always fighting on the same side. If we are doing 'teams', and say, I'm losing when he is huge, he won't gang up on me like the AIs do.

I think war will be much more often, either that or huge cold wars. I'll have a much larger defensive budget, because like someone said: paranoia will rule. I agree with the people that said nukes will be a much larger factor---I'm dying to get some real cold war action.

I also hope there is in-game chat. That could allow propaganda and 'press releases'. What I mean by this is that I could pull a Khrushchev in the Cold War and say I have 50 nukes when I have 3. Diplomacy will be much different, as will tech buying---enemies could selectively not give you a tech, such as the AI do, but much more common.

I'm really almost afraid of MP, honestly. How does one defend against a human blitz? How does one defend against an authentic counter attack (the AIs aren't THAT great). Or against a colony race with a human? Or winning the land-grab phase? It would be very similar to playing yourself. One thing I really want in MP is a 'God' mode for after you die. In this mode you could watch the action from an all-knowing point of view (meaning see cities but not change anything). Of course you wouldn't be able to chat anymore, so you can't give info to your friends. It would be sort of like after you die in missions in OpFlash.

Another thing that Firaxis should include is, in MP, is possibly a computer-sharing type thing. Meaning, so the game could go faster, if AIs are playing, one computer runs one AI, another computer runs another AI, so the game goes faster.

I pity those with phone modems. Playing a game with regular turns on would kind of suck, but I don't really trust turnless and simul mode. I might play alot of PBEM.

Overall, I would say that if I played a few MP games in a row, it would take a while to get back to AIs. One will become an AI player or a MP player.

Sorry for this hectic and plotless post!

3. EdwardTking

EdwardTking Deity

Same as usual with Civ2.

But I will have to buy another 8 telephone lines (total 15) and 8 computers (total 15) to gang up on my opponent, as before.

4. stalin006

stalin006 Deity

also it will be harder to get most wonders, as every player will be in a major race for the major ones, like the piramids or universal sufrage, and if u play w/out knowing ur oponents, it will take a looooong time to see how they really are, they could be allies in a 100 years, but lets say u leave taht side unprotected he will attack, also the builders would prefer to start on a private island, as it gives early defences, its bad now that i will have to build a spearman evertime so it can scort a settler,, making it twice as long

5. Mad Bomber

Mad Bomber Commander

Everyone is going to be a warmonger if they stick with PTW. A couple of games of getting ethnic cleansed will get rid of the builders who are not willing or able to change their style. As for the game its going to be bloody (well as much as microchips can allow) and treacherous w/ plenty of backstabbing and nukes flying from every continent. in other words, it will be truly a glorious game!:lol:

6. Dio_Time2Go

Dio_Time2Go Chieftain

I'm looking forward to two things:

1) actual human personalities doing actual quirky human things. I can just see Randy opening up a diplo box to say "Give me Computers, I've been building subs for the last hour, or maybe not, want to find out?"

2) FAIR DIPLO TRADES. If Mr. Passive Resistance asks me for another 62 gold per turn for his stinking worthless curry smelling techs...

7. cycle

cycle Chieftain

cgannon64:

Good post. The game chat would be nice, but I seriously doubt there will be one. We would have heard about it by now.

About the human blizt, this is exactly what I hope to experience. I am really looking forward to play against opponents who have a real battle plan and invades you accordingly. Not just an AI that evaluates your weakest city and moves in. Example of a great gameplay experience I hope we can experience in our MP games: carrier group comes near your coast, bombers strike to weaken your defensive units, marine comes in and take your city, then reinforcement comes in (like infantry or mech infantry) to defend the city they just took from you. Awesome. This is what I want to see in my MP game.

Mad Bomber:

I couldn't agree more. Defensive builder players will get crushed by warmonger. Unless the maps favor them a lot (ie lots of small continent/island), defensive player will be hard pushed to stick to that game style. If they don't become more agressive, they will get crushed. Of course, I'd loved to be proven wrong by a great builder player ;)

I hope the turnless mode works well, this will be key to accelerate the games. I take at least 20+ hours on my games now, this will be hard to do in MP unless you play with a regular bunch of opponent at a fixed times. In my experience, that is very hard to do. Everybody is so busy and has different schedule. The only time I can play MP with my friends is with 3D shooter type like Return to Castle Wolfenstein. We can setup a time to play for one hour and that's it.

8. calle-76

calle-76 King of Sweden

If i was to be stranded on a semi large remote island i would definately go "builder style" if my opponents would give me some space to breath. Then when the time is right i would have my mega citys spew out icbs then kill the world.

9. DaDoo

DaDoo Prince

I think you can chat to other players in the game in PTW. I think I saw something to that effect on one of the screenshot at www.civ3.com.

Even if it works only as a message board, it's still good

10. algonacy

algonacy Chieftain

Personally, I think you will find 3 or 4 people who will team up at the beginning of each game and "promise" to be allies and share techs and extra luxuries until they are the only 3 or 4 left. Much like Survivor! Of course it won't always work out that way and there will be backstabbing, but just by sharing techs I think that small alliance will be strong and hard to overcome. So the first 10 or 15 turns will be critical in any game. Make contact and friends at the beginning to share techs and build on that to eventually win the game.

Just my opinion.

11. Richard III

Richard III Duke of Gloucester

Yeah, I'm looking forward to a "rational" style of foreign policy. It will be nice, for example, to be able to clearly say "move to that island and you're taking on me and my friend to your west; that island is hallowed ground; or to be able to actually coordinate an allied offensive.

R.III

12. cgannon64

cgannon64 BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!

Algonacy---that reminds me of a complex game John Nash invented called "**** Your Buddy" (a card game) The only way to win was to team up in threes or fours, play until it was just your team left, and backstab your opponent and the precise moment. I've never played it, but it sounds like fun. I'm sure that will happen. Like if the three of you are in a war and we takes defenders of your border...all those tempting cities...

I can't wait now! When is it released? Late October? Damn. Like R3 said, allied offensives....now I'm so jealous of the play-testers!

13. ViceRoy

ViceRoy of Brave New World

It's very possible that "warmongering" will be the key...

Thing is that even though most of the players first would play "friendly" and "cautious" game...there are always few gamblers around that aren't afraid to lose and will just aggressively try to get victory. And the easiest way to victory is many times warmongering.
    I believe there will be players that ask for gold/tech or something and if you don't give them...they attack.

I think playing "defensively" is possible if you still make military force that can handle certain situations (like attack for resources) and have possible faithfull ally.

I'm not sure will I play MP games but I would say that Civ games will be mostly about war...just ask how people play the game and most will say that they try to conquer the whole world.
    There can be of course scenarios and games where certain things aren't allowed as certain rules are settled between the players before the game starts but I just can see some people rushing for new techs that give some nice new military unit that can be used for attacking purposes.

It will be blitzkrieg mostly as you can see about many 3D first person shooters...People are more willing to win than actually lose as there isn't really nothing embarrassing necessary against some people other side of the globe. Of course playing against friends is another thing and there are also people that have this thing for "internet-fame"...that they become some kind of master players of some game and can brag about it. But in the end you aren't any leader of civilization but just some person sitting front of computer screen and playing wargame. Games will come and go and they won't really matter.

Courage to play against other humans. They are just flesh and blood and there's nothing to be afraid. Just remember to have fun whatever the style you are playing.
    And remember...winning isn't everything.
    Rome fall once and we still remember it.

14. Four Four Seven

Four Four Seven Spearman

This thread reminds me of my first game of the old "Civnet" against my father. He could crush the top level. We played our first game of Civnet (I was nowhere near as good, too distracted with college at the time, I guess), and we both played a peaceful expansion game... or so he thought. I noticed that his capitol had a mountain one square away from his workable squares. The mountain was right next to the ocean. In the original Civ, without culture, he couldn't see what was on this square without putting a unit next to it. But, since the city was completely developed, there was no reason to put a unit near there.

So... Slowly but surely, I brought over ships with TONS of fast military units and settlers, and hid them on that mountain. I built a fortress, and, when I was ready, I had all the settlers build a road in one turn, then did a MASSIVE attack on the capitol. He never knew what was coming! (And learned a valuable lesson - humans don't play or think like the AI.)

By the time we were playing Civ 2 multiplayer, we (and my brother, who we helped addict to Civ) were so paranoid, we would build all our cities on mountains(!), and immediately rush city walls to protect ourselves. Of course, that brought "spy wars", with massive armies of spies brought in first, to take out the walls.

I'm thinking Civ 3, like the other two civs, will be a VERY different game. I'm putting my cities on hills if at all possible...

15. bige2002

bige2002 Finally won on Regent

Yes, there must be a good chat system. And skill games. I suck, and want to play against other players that suck.

16. Exsanguination

Exsanguination No longer here

A big questionis how humans will take reputation stains. The AI takes them very linerally, we all know that. Also, since its against a non-programmed human, getting a deal cut off because some destroyed your trade partner shouldn't cut off relations. But if I RoP-raped my opponent or cut off a lux deal, would the player ever trust me again?

Like you all said... Paranoia Rules :satan: