1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

PTW Omens

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Sparrowhawk, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk The Builder

Is anyone else out there getting a little curious about the mixed signals we've been receiving regarding the PTW release?

I mean, on the positive side, Amazon & EBGames are listing Oct 29 as the North American release date, and obviously PTW is nearing completion since we have started getting reviews from sites like GameSpy.

But what about the fact that the Civ3 site hasn't been updated in over a month? There have been no new Civ's of the Week, and yet 8 Civs = 8 weeks. Plus no recent developer's updates. So far Infogrames has been keeping mum, and Firaxis has been forced to do the same. Another bad sign is that PTW has yet to go gold. Last year at this time, Civ III had been gold for several days, and they were shooting for a release date a day later.

So what the heck is happening?

2. Catt

Catt Emperor

Civ3.com is now maintained by Infogrames. Infogrames just laid off a huge chunk of their workforce. I wouldn't be surprised if the "Civ of the Week" promotion never materializes.

3. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk The Builder

I did not know that Firaxis no longer ran the website. That could explain a few things. Thanks Catt.

4. Catt

Catt Emperor

Just to follow-up -- I don't know anything about whether PTW has gone gold, but supposedly Sid Meier was just recently quoted as saying PTW release is Nov 3 (not 10/29).

5. Dan Magaha FIRAXIS

Dan Magaha FIRAXIS Firaxian

I have moved on to other responsibilities at Firaxis, and no longer have the responsibility of updating our websites (including civ3.com). That said, Civ of the Week is still slated for the PTW civs and the first one should be going up soon. Infogrames is now handling all site updates, and we just sent them the content to review for posting.

As for release dates, I don't know much about that, as it's not my project.

Dan

6. Grey Knight

Grey Knight Old hacker

Guys, PTW is coming out, and soon. A five day discrepancy is not a big deal! Folks have been waiting for the 1.10 patch for Diablo II for over a year, and it's still perpetually "two months out".

Cheers,
    Shawn

7. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk The Builder

I'm not worried about 5 days, or even a week. What was worrying me was a potential 6 week discrepancy if they were waiting for the Civ of the Week feature to end before release. Of course, it occurs to me now that release may come before Civ of the Week ends :)

PS - Thanks a lot for the info Dan :goodjob:

8. Catt

Catt Emperor

Thanks for the info Dan! You might also pass along that the Chinese profile has incorrect (but PTW-like ;)) UU stats - both defense and movement stats are given a bump, listing the Chinese Rider as a 4.4.3 unit.

9. WildFire

WildFire amour

well, i personally thought that it was Oct. 22nd in the USA, now sid is sayin Nov. 3. Whats the deal? I wanna play multiplayer

10. cgannon64

cgannon64 BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!

Sid probably doesn't know all the info about when his game is released---he doesn't work in that department, after all.

Even Presidents don't know all the info. Remember when Reagan said that ICBMs could be called back after launch?

:lol:

CG

11. Ribannah

Ribannah Fighter Druid

Well, they can. They just won't listen. :)

If PTW arrives in Europe before Christmas, I'll be positively surprised.