PUBG sues Epic games over Fortnite

sherbz

Deity
I saw this on the BBC and thought you should see it: Fortnite sued for 'copying' rival game PUBG - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44287860

So the owners of PUBG are suing epic games for copying their formula of battle Royale. Oh how the mighty have fallen. They are obviously smarting from their player base having been vaporised by Fortnite over the past few months. But the potential outcome of this has potentially dire consequences in my view.

PUBG, from what I can tell, is a very generic and bland looking fps with a slightly novel concept. Fortnite uses a similar concept, but has loads more bells and whistles, is set in a vibrant and colourful world, is far more diverse, and is just simply a better game.

I think the owners of PUBG are idiots. This is a bit like EA suing paradox over city skylines, as skylines copies sim city. Or Fifa suing pro evolution soccer, as they are both football games. Or call of duty suing battlefield.

PUBG are a victim of their own success. Rather than waste money on a futile court case they are bound to lose. Maybe instead they should invest the millions they must have made into making a better game that's not plagued by Chinese cheaters and has a bit more originality.

I've actually seen some of their claims of copyright infringement. I believe they have tried to argue that both games use a frying pan as a weapon and therefore it's copyright. Have they never played Left4Dead? I'm sure other games must have frying pans.

I hope to God this just gets thrown out of court. Could you imagine all the problems this could cause. Especially on platforms like unity. Which allow a bewildering number of asset flips, concept flips, and all sorts of other flips. Gaming has always had a degree of copying. I think all creative industries do. That's a simple fact of life. I remember the decade of "doom clones". In my view, if you are copied it's a sign of your success. But rather than turn that into something negative, like a court case. Why not instead build something bigger, better, and bolder.

There's an extra crazy level in that Plunkbat runs on the Unreal 4 engine... developed by one Epic Games, Inc.

It's a pretty depressing and disappointing cash grab from one giant success to another.

Hahahahaha. No way. Making a game in the same genre is not copyright infringement. This should get tossed, preferably with a snide comment from the judge. It's not like we're seeing copied assets/names/etc or even identical gameplay. This kind of junk should have been a known farce since the 1980s, how are the PUBG devs even considering this?

I'm just slightly worried it's being heard in a South Korean court. So we might see a case of revenge after a US court made that ridiculous judgement against Samsung vs apple over the shape of the corner on a smart phone.

An impressively stupid move for several reasons

I saw this on the BBC and thought you should see it: Fortnite sued for 'copying' rival game PUBG - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44287860

So the owners of PUBG are suing epic games for copying their formula of battle Royale. Oh how the mighty have fallen. They are obviously smarting from their player base having been vaporised by Fortnite over the past few months. But the potential outcome of this has potentially dire consequences in my view.

PUBG, from what I can tell, is a very generic and bland looking fps with a slightly novel concept. Fortnite uses a similar concept, but has loads more bells and whistles, is set in a vibrant and colourful world, is far more diverse, and is just simply a better game.

That's a huge issue right there. You can't trademark/copyright game mechanics and PUBG doesn't seem to have anything distinctive in terms of presentation. It uses a licensed engine (made by Epic!) and store bought assets. The game looks like any number of stereotypical steam trash games cobbled together by one or two Russians for a trading card farming scheme. After it took off the devs really should have used their unexpected profits to hire proper artists to make the game more distinctive.

I think the owners of PUBG are idiots. This is a bit like EA suing paradox over city skylines, as skylines copies sim city. Or Fifa suing pro evolution soccer, as they are both football games. Or call of duty suing battlefield.

I think it's even stupider than that. Plunkbat created/popularized a new genre. Imagine id software suing any studio that made First Person Shooters (which, as you pointed out, were called Doom clones for a time) or Blizzard suing people for making loot heavy Action RPGs (which were called Diablo clones for a time). You'd expect to see this kind of nonsense in a documentary about the early video game industry in the 70s/80s but not now.

Also, pardon my ignorance, what is this new genre ? I haven't played any battle royale games, but isn't it just deathmatch with more exploration and some survival elements ?

PUBG are a victim of their own success. Rather than waste money on a futile court case they are bound to lose. Maybe instead they should invest the millions they must have made into making a better game that's not plagued by Chinese cheaters and has a bit more originality.

That lawsuit makes them look like one of those petty asset-flippers who somehow made a good game. Instead of suing a youtuber for saying their game is crap, they're suing other studios for copying and adapting their formula.

Now that I come to think of it, I can't actually think of a time when there has been a successful suing. I'm sure nientendo must have had a success at some point with Mario.

Now that I come to think of it, I can't actually think of a time when there has been a successful suing. I'm sure nientendo must have had a success at some point with Mario.

I've heard of cases but can't think of specific examples off hand. Normally it's something along the lines of specific assets/characters lifted and used in a game w/o permission. There's a selection bias against memorable/actually good game developers doing this for obvious reasons.

I've heard of cases but can't think of specific examples off hand. Normally it's something along the lines of specific assets/characters lifted and used in a game w/o permission. There's a selection bias against memorable/actually good game developers doing this for obvious reasons.

So with no examples there is no precedent? :rolleyes:

That's not why they are suing them actually.

It's because PUBG uses the unreal engine which is owned by epic and they pay them royalties for it. Thus they have some sort of contract. They are not arguing copyright infringement because that would just get thrown out. Instead they are arguing that epic games intentionally hurt their business by releasing battle royal mode for fortnite, and as their customer that's a breach of whatever contract they have.

So basically they are saying epic games ripped us off, which is illegal because of the terms of this lease agreement we have for the unreal engine.

It still seems desparate but we don't know what's in their contract so they may have a case. Really Bluehole the parent company of PUBG messed up big time with the PUBG releases. They released it in beta, for pretty cheap $30, hoping to cash in, which they did. But then they got sloppy, not fixing bugs and performance issues or policing their servers for abusers. They would ignore these things under the excuse of the game being in beta still, but they took way too long to get it out of early access. So when a smoother, better game experience came along with fortnite everyone bailed.

Edit: Actually reading the headlines it does seem like they are suing for copyright infringement which seems really stupid cus they will never win. That's why I thought it was because of the unreal engine underneath.

Yeah if they were suing for breach of contract over the engine (IE it was some scenario where Epic held back newest version of engine so Fortnite outperforms PubG, in violation of a written agreement that Epic provides the most recent version) then there would be a real case. Copyright wouldn't be the issue in question then, but it would be a legit complaint if it happened.

A clause against Epic competing directly in genre using the engine or something similar could also have resulted in successful litigation, but it seems pretty obvious that doesn't exist.

Top Bottom