Public Opinion: Air Combat Animations

How do you feel about air combat animations?

• I don't mind the animations at all. I enjoy them and don't play on quick combat.

Votes: 24 26.1%
  • It's not a big deal to me. I play on quick combat and probably would do so regardless.

Votes: 21 22.8%
  • It's annoying. I prefer not to play on quick combat, so I sit through them.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • It's a deal breaker. I play on quick combat for this reason alone, and it makes me sad.

Votes: 17 18.5%

• Total voters

chazzycat

Deity
Let me know which option best describes your feeling on the air combat animations. It's clear from some recent discussions that some people feel very strongly about this issue. I am wondering how the community at large perceives the situation.

Altough I enjoy seeing general animations from time to time, they simply take too long, not to mention that late game I've had so many occasions where they keep smacking eachother when the damage has already been done and having to spend another 10 seconds staring at one soldier whacking away at a group.
The air animation is even worse IMO, especially since I tend to have pretty large amounts of aircraft if I decide I want to go airforce and if they are stationed in the same city or carrier you literally have to watch the same animation multiple times.
These days I just don't play without quick combat anymore, the game is slow and bloated enough as it is.

I like the animation of combat in general and I don't turn them off. But the long distant air combats gets annoying. A bit too long. What is more annoying is watching AI vs AI combat animations. I wish there was a setting for this... I would like to turn off that type of combat animation.

The long flight animations for aircraft do bother me, but they're tolerable.

My suggestion to resolve the problem is to speed up or skip the flight animation using left-mouse clicks. For example, if you click the LMB once during the flight animation, it speeds it up +50-100%; so you can still see it, but it's quicker. If you double click the LMB it ends the animation immediately -- the aircraft returns to base, the damage inflicted and taken flashes on screen as usu, and the next unit becomes active in the queue -- this would dramatically reduce the time it takes to use Air units in Civ5.

I think this would be a elegantly simple solution that would require minimal effort to program and patch into Civ5, and it wouldn't require turning on/off Quick Combat or 2D view.

I realise this is going into the realm of absurdly detailed options, but I wish there were three independent quick combat options: nukes, planes, and everything else.

The ability to 'fast forward' animations in progress would also be good though.

I realise this is going into the realm of absurdly detailed options, but I wish there were three independent quick combat options: nukes, planes, and everything else.

The ability to 'fast forward' animations in progress would also be good though.

Well, you can always turn on the strategic view. I do that with bombers. As for fighters, I quite like watching the animation.

I like the combat animations - including air combat. Therefore I don't want to switch air combat off totally.

But the current sequence is just way to long for my taste. So, maybe a halfed animation timing would be better.

By the way: aren't the dogfight animations of variable length? Sometimes, they are quite short (I'm totally fine with this length) and sometimes they seem nearly endless.

I press F10 (strategic view) whenever air support is used..

I use to do that as well but now I just use quick combat all the time.

I really liked the way Civ IV did the air combat. The planes started slow, quickly zipped to the attack site, did the attack animation, and zipped back again. It worked well and you still had the animation.

I like to see the animations, but it does get tedious at the end of some games when you have several bombers...

I'd be in favour of a key to switch to animations off and on for this.

The animations themselves are fine, it's not being able to do anything else at the same time that's the problem. It would be awesome if you could get a few going at once, rather than waiting. Same with waiting for bombardment to finish before you can order another.

I chose the 3rd option as it seemed closest to my feelings but to elaborate a little more i like to play with animations and sometimes do not simply because of the lengthy air animations. Yeah it can be solved by pressing F10 all the time but that is a fiddly and annoying workaround rather than a solution.
What i would like to see, like a lot of the problems with this incarnation is go back to the way it was before.i.e. unit animations was an in-game option and not a game set-up option so you could have animations on most of the time but during times when it is more bother than it is worth you can turn them off for a while and turn them back on when the situation changes.

Yes, it is annoying to watch a jet fighter roll in 7 (yes, seven) times to do 1 point of damage. I just sit through it.

I'm pretty surprised by the even distribution of responses here. It's been pretty steady at 25% I like them, 50% I don't like them, and 25% I don't care. Interesting. Pretty solid ammo for the devs if only 25% of people like the feature as-is.

I don't hate them, but usually keep combat animations turned off.

I like all animations in the game.....except for the air ones. Either let players skip through them, or do what Camikaze said above. Waiting through all the air animations sucks.

Curiously, no one who likes the status quo has commented. I can only assume that means those who dislike it feel much stronger about the issue.

Would anyone out there actually be upset if the air animations were drastically shortened?

Top Bottom