Public opinion logic

CppMaster

Deity
I play as Arabia and I have influenced all civs. There are 4 civs that picked Freedom ideology, including me, and other 3 picked Order. Opponents with most tourism are America and Germany, but their culture is exotic to me.
How come I'm the only one with Dissidents public opinion and all other civs are Content, despite fact that I'm clearly winning at tourism? It locked CV for me.
I'm attaching screenshots and a save on version 4/30.
Civ5Screen0009.png
Civ5Screen0005.png
Civ5Screen0006.png
Civ5Screen0007.png
Civ5Screen0008.png

Attachments

• Arab_0427 Win Science by far.Civ5Save
    2.5 MB · Views: 155
Yes. But still, other civs with Freedom ideology, which are much more influenced by America and Germany, are Content.

They are saved from being unhappy because they are swayed by your tourism.

Edit: If you mouse over where it says dissidents in the culture overview screen, it will show you where the influence that is making a civ unhappy is coming from.

They are saved from being unhappy because they are swayed by your tourism.
Edit: If you mouse over where it says dissidents in the culture overview screen, it will show you where the influence that is making a civ unhappy is coming from.
Influence is a two-way street, though.
So this is what I understood:
-Civs weak culturally which follows Freedom are Content, because my Freedom tourism counter American and German Order tourism,
-My civ is Dissidents, despite the fact that I've influenced all other civs, because my Freedom tourism doesn't counter American and German Order tourism and other civs Freedom tourism is low.
-If Order was not the World Ideology then American and German public opinion would also be Dissidents or worse, because I'm influential with them.

Is that correct? Is this expected that I have Dissidents public opinion, when other civs are at most exotic to me? Shouldn't my tourism counter others tourism for me also (I'm talking just about public opinion; If it would counter tourism in matter of exotic/familiar/influetnial/dominant then it could be never ending story)?

-My civ is Dissidents, despite the fact that I've influenced all other civs, because my Freedom tourism doesn't counter American and German Order tourism and other civs Freedom tourism is low

Almost. You have dissidents because of the world ideology being Order. What does the tooltip say if you mouseover dissidents? I don't think it will cite American and German influence as a source of your unhappiness as you are influential over them. I think it will say that your people are swayed by the world ideology, and show 2 hammer and sickle icons, but that you are not influenced by the ideology of any other civ.

-If Order was not the World Ideology then American and German public opinion would also be Dissidents or worse, because I'm influential with them.

Yep. I think you need 2 levels of influence difference to have a chance of causing unhappiness in another civ. They are familiar to you, you are influential over them, which is 2 levels difference (exotic 1, familiar 2, popular 3, influential 4, dominant 5).

Almost. You have dissidents because of the world ideology being Order. What does the tooltip say if you mouseover dissidents? I don't think it will cite American and German influence as a source of your unhappiness as you are influential over them. I think it will say that your people are swayed by the world ideology, and show 2 hammer and sickle icons, but that you are not influenced by the ideology of any other civ.
Yes, I remember 2 hammers icons. Does it mean 2 influential civs following Order ideology?
Yep. I think you need 2 levels of influence difference to have a chance of causing unhappiness in another civ. They are familiar to you, you are influential over them, which is 2 levels difference (exotic 1, familiar 2, popular 3, influential 4, dominant 5).
They are exotic to me which is even 3 levels difference. Damn it, I have neglected diplomacy earlier, but it seems that World Ideology is really strong.

Yes, I remember 2 hammers icons. Does it mean 2 influential civs following Order ideology?

No, the world ideolology always shows 2 icons' worth of influence, it's independent of the number of civs with that ideology. They can add more icons if they have good tourism, but they will be listed separately.

They are exotic to me which is even 3 levels difference. Damn it, I have neglected diplomacy earlier, but it seems that World Ideology is really strong.

Can you change ideology to Order for an instant win?

Can you change ideology to Order for an instant win?
That could be a good idea if I hadn't won Science Victory yet. It's just one turn revolt and then build Panopticon? Influence over other civs stays the same, right? It could be risky if a civ would escape my Influence, because then I would lose my full filled Freedom tree.

Ok, I've tested and it worked! Tourism and influence stays the same, but whole empire is in resistance for 3 turns. After that you gain about half of your old tenents as free tenents in new ideology, so not as bad as I thought it would be :)

Out of curiosity, what happens if a civ changes back to its original ideology (e.g. Freedom -> Order -> Freedom again)? Full tenets or 1/4 of the original?

Top Bottom