1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Public Square - Estates General Call-up!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game IV: Citizens' started by vra379971, Jul 31, 2008.

1. vra379971

vra379971 Deity

A large stallion rides into the square, a bugle at hand.

The rider proclaims....

===

Our new King is creating, for the first time the Estates General! If you don't know how it will work, here's a quick rundown:

This is the PUBLIC SQUARE. Here, citizens NOT IN A FACTION will APPLY to be a Representative, and/or discuss their concerns that will be brought to the Estates General via the non-aligned reps.

To APPLY write...

Name
    Why You Are Interested to be a Rep.

TWO Representatives will be chosen, and they will be refreshed regularly.

2. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

Don't mean to critic here, but should'nt the above say something more like "This is the PUBLIC SQUARE. Here, citizens NOT IN A FACTION will APPLY to be a Representative, and/or discuss their concerns that will be brought to the Estates General via the non-aligned reps."

If citizens not in a faction wanted to join a faction, wouldn't they post in the faction thread of the faction they wanted to join?

3. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

I am a little confused here. I think you need to be a little more specific for those unaware of the Estates General and its purpose. Also some more clarification on what we are signing up for and if these representatives will hold any power or just be voices.

4. Cyc

Cyc puts on his Regent hat. Checks the mirror and adjusts the brim...

"I'm pretty sure that it's ok for the Regent to post here in the Publis Square - Estates General Call-up thread. Looking over the three threads put up by vra379971, it appears that this thread is only for the citizens who are not in a faction, or independent. The independent citizens who wish to be representatives in the Estates General should post their desires here. The Independent Reps will be chosen by the King and/or his Regent.

Cyc once again removes his hat.

5. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

Thanks again for the clarification Cyc. As an un-aligned citizen I wish to be a rep.

6. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

I, King Dutchfire the First, would like to represent the people of Arkadia in the Estates General.

7. Joe Harker

Joe Harker 1st in the Premiership!

I don't where to ask this, but how does the Estate General Assembly work? :)

8. Cyc

Well, vra37971 wrote:
    Ah, I heard about a similar idea being used by a Lord in another place sire....

He called all the classes of his workers together - and they chose a representative to speak for them, and they give him a list of their ideas and greviances...

We could call one regularly, as that foreign lord did sire, so even the unaligned, landless peasants could speak!

(In practical terms, every opposing faction, and folks who choose otherwise, would get a representative of equal proportion to each other - if our King's bloodline is selected to rule, I am sure we could develop something that would be the envy of the world!)

civplayah wrote:
    I approve of using an Estates General every council meeting.

thecommonnate asked:
    What kind of accommodations will the PF make (if elected) for people not in the same faction, it is clear that citizens not in the factions will not play at the primary hight of the government, so how can we be sure that a citizen of an opposing faction to the PF will be given the same rights as someone who is a member of the PF but not a member of the or holding a position of power?

And civplayah answered:
    I think normal citizens will be as welcome as faction members, except during council meetings, but they do get a chance to speak during the Estates General.

So through different channels, everyone has a voice that can be heard. If you choice to be an official rep for a faction, you may apply, if that position is still open. Or if you're an independent, apply to be their rep (1 of 2).

9. Joe Harker

Joe Harker 1st in the Premiership!

Cheers Cyc :goodjob:

There just isn't one single post explaining the idea in full yet, maybe someone should put on up (even if it's in one of these three threads on the Estate Assembly)

10. Cyc

vra379971 has said he will try to rectify the problems caused by the threads today sometime, but if you check the 3rd page of the Cycles of Arete thread, I have given a brief run-down of the Estates General (EG). Check it out.

11. vra379971

vra379971 Deity

Great...the King requires a why though...

12. Cyc

In the absence of the King, I Cyc, in the name of the King's Regent, extend my authority in choosing representatives for the un-aligned citizenry. In an effort to advance the game, I choose Lord Civius and dutchfire the first as representatives of the people. They may now post in the Great Assembly Hall with the faction reps.

To vra: I accepted dutchfire's desire to serve the people of Arkadia/Aretania as the "why" you required. Hope that's ok with you.

13. thecommonnate

thecommonnate Theocrat

I don't understand how independents can be represented, as they are without a faction so one independent's ideas can range significantly from another.

14. Cyc

Read my last post in the Cycles of Arete, thecommonnate. If you don't understand after that, PM me with specific questions and I will try to walk you through it.

15. thecommonnate

thecommonnate Theocrat

It's all good now.

16. thecommonnate

thecommonnate Theocrat

After the TC will the Estates General dissolve until the next TC or will it continue?

17. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

The TC's will commence at a 10 turn minimum per week. This has been the "standard" of past regimes and I accept no less from our newest reformists. It is the EGAs' (Estate General Assembies) responsibilty to represent the citizens interests and this means a reasonable TC schedule.

18. Cyc

The Estates General will remain constant throughout the COA regime. All three Estates General threads will be open for the appropriate people to post in. In this way, the Estates General will always lend an ear to the citizens and forward their concerns o the Monarch.

19. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

In other words we will remain, holding those in power accountable.

20. Cyc

True. A reasonable TC schedule is called for. I personally like between 5 and 10 turns for a TC. I leave it up to the Designated Player to choose when they will stop. But not before 5 turns and not more than 10 turns.

As far as a schedule goes, I plan on at least two tcs a week. This is just my plan. We could have those needed "pre-turn" TCs or a 1 turn TC. This will be determined in the future and only in dire situations.