Publisher: pls explain 80USD Australia price on Steam

Also, I think games tend to take longer to be discounted in the Australian games market. I saw Modern Warfare 2 in an EB games store yesterday, still priced at AUD$99 (which is what it was at launch).

ouch! I wouldn't be surprised to walk in an EB games and find a used copy of MW2 for $20 or less. Of course its used, but they do have the one month guarantee. All the used games I've bought worked perfectly. It is pretty unfair, but thats life.

For the most part, Steam pricing in Australia normally follows that in stores, and it is often below store prices. I suspect the answer is that competition in the games distribution market in Australia is just not as great as in the US.

There's no doubt the Australian market lacks an Amazon: a pure online store that can offer cheap prices due to low overheads but is big enough to be able to exert pressure on suppliers' wholesale prices.

Until there's that sort of pressure brought to bear I don't think the retail outlets will change here. They're not really interested in cutting prices on new games, since that's not a market where the likes of EB even want to compete. They make a LOT of money on used games sales, and cutting prices on new games cuts into that too much.

Which means I don't think there will be any great pressure on digital download prices in the near future either. Expect the regional pricing to get worse before it gets better.

As much as people like to bash EB, it still has its uses. I picked up a Codemasters game there the other day for 10AU which isn't even available on Steam, which is weird because the trailer for the game is. I noticed Fear 2 for 20AU there while it's 45USD on Steam (regional pricing). Sometimes EB is far away ahead of Steam, but most of the time the two sellers are pretty level for prices. It's a shame - most people expected digital to deliver lower prices. As others have noted (like Shakes), it will only happen when there is another major online or digital distributor to challenge Steam.

They (EB) also do price matching if I recall - part of the reason they get away with such high regular prices. That's a benefit of being the biggest guy in the local market.

Well okay, I will take your word that the only tax is a 10% GST. Not sure what GST is, is it like our UK tax Value Added Tax (VAT) a % tax on everysingle product with a few exceptions, I don't believe we have VAT on neccessities like wood or water. And we pay more than 10%, our standard and current VAT rate is 17.5%, but this may well increase due to a huge deficit. But anyway, so I assume the GST is the same as our VAT.

Anyway, to the point, why is the Australian Prices so high I can explain thanks to a Steam Wiki, and no its not Steams Fault, This is just going to be a simple paste and copy, I would recommend reading the whole Steam Wiki even if your not on the fence about it, its a good little read.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_(content_delivery)

Criticism
Regional restrictions and pricing

Steam allows developers and publishers to change prices and restrict game availability depending on the user's location, causing some games to cost more than those bought from retail stores, despite digital distribution removing the costs of disc replication, packaging, design time, logistics and dealing with retail fronts.

Some of the difficulties in selling a retailing game worldwide are detailed by a forum post from a member of Valve's staff:

“Sometimes publishers are split into mostly independent North America/European/Asian divisions and one division doesn't have the rights to distribute in all areas. In order to distribute in all areas we have to negotiate deals with all the different divisions and they all have different ideas of how pricing should work and how important digital distribution is for their games. We are always trying to help them understand the importance of markets around the world as well as help them understand the importance of fair and equal pricing for all regions, but it's an ongoing struggle.”

—John McCaskey, Steam programmer, August 2008

One example of regional restriction can be seen where Valve uses Steam's authentication to prevent boxed versions of their games sold in Russia and Thailand, which are priced significantly lower than elsewhere, from being used outside those territories.

Steam offers products in three currencies; US Dollar, Euro and Pound Sterling. The currency is selected automatically based on where the user is connecting from, and cannot be changed by the user. Due to how Steam handles the US Dollar to Euro/Pound Sterling conversion, prices in Eurozone countries are often much higher than in the United States, which has led to much criticism from European Steam users since the Euro support was introduced on December 12, 2008.

So if your price is too high compared to other regions and your not happy you need to direct complaints at 2k/Frixasis who have decided them.

You seem a bit late to the party.

So if your price is too high compared to other regions and your not happy you need to direct complaints at 2k/Frixasis who have decided them.

Everyone has already agreed on that. It's why the title is "Publisher: pls explain ..."

Also, Steam are the ones selling the product after all. It can easily be argued they carry some of the responsibility for the price if they signed a contract with the publisher about how and who sets the price. Valve could easily have refused contracts where they aren't given freedom to adjust the price.

And to make a pragmatic point, it's likely IMO that much of the pricing adjustments are made on Steam by the publishers in consultation with Valve. For example, Valve might "suggest" a sale at a particular time of year. This sort of advice coming from Valve would likely be quite valuable considering Valve's now quite experienced with sales strategies.

Do you know how much money it costs to hire enough coders to make all the pixleated water swirl in the opposite direction in all the toilets of the worlds leaders?

yes well no doubt valve suggests what should be the pricing and so on. but,

"Steam allows developers and publishers to change prices and restrict game availability depending on the user's location"

At the end of the day, 2k/Frixasis, don't have to listen to Steam and could sell it for the same in Aus as in America. Direct complaints to 2k and co.

I may very well be late to the table here, everyone else knew the answer but never saw fit to tell me the Answer, just tell me that I was wrong about Australian taxes being the cause. Well I never, I'm always the last to know =).

Do you know how much money it costs to hire enough coders to make all the pixleated water swirl in the opposite direction in all the toilets of the worlds leaders?

This points to the one error that actually annoyed me in that Simpsons episode. Lisa should have known that while the Coriolis effect is real, it isn't anywhere near as strong as to cause water draining from a sink or toilet to consistently rotate in one direction according to which side of the hemisphere you are on.

Making stuff up about us Aussies is fine. But getting science so wrong should be a capital crime.

Well okay, I will take your word that the only tax is a 10% GST. Not sure what GST is, is it like our UK tax Value Added Tax (VAT) a % tax on everysingle product with a few exceptions, I don't believe we have VAT on neccessities like wood or water. And we pay more than 10%, our standard and current VAT rate is 17.5%, but this may well increase due to a huge deficit. But anyway, so I assume the GST is the same as our VAT.

This is correct. However I'd be surprised if Steam sales even have any GST added, given they have no actual presence in Australia. I could be completely wrong here, but I'd assume they're in the same situation as any other online retailer that ships to but isn't based in Australia, they don't pay the tax.

Not sure on that, do I have to pay VAT if I buy something digitally, I think I still pay it. Who knows.

I haven't done the math, but I'm pretty sure it equals you're getting screwed.

If I remember correctly VAT does not apply to online purchases. If congress chooses to pass a VAT bill I guess I'll find out.

For the most part, Steam pricing in Australia normally follows that in stores, and it is often below store prices. I suspect the answer is that competition in the games distribution market in Australia is just not as great as in the US.

Also, I think games tend to take longer to be discounted in the Australian games market. I saw Modern Warfare 2 in an EB games store yesterday, still priced at AUD$99 (which is what it was at launch).
You can surf to Mighty Ape any day and pick up MW2 for AU$ 65.

Yep, the seller australia-games is selling it new for $41 plus postage. Games are often cheap if ordered from the UK for some reason.

On ebay, sellers of video games have a responsibility to only list an item as "new" if it is actually new. Otherwise it falls under the category of something like "near new". Usually "new" games are still shrink wrapped or if not you can at least expect the cd key has not been used before.

If it's not legal, it'd be news to me. I expect sellers like this can sell such items so cheaply because they operate with substantially lower overheads than retail stores (which are usually inner city). This is why many ebay sellers don't even let you pick up the item yourself.

The two of you, please just wait a moment...

Ebay's prices (as quoted) are for a new game, unused, not owned by somebody else before?
And MightyApe is sitting or at least doing it's business in and according to Australian laws?
Yes, MightyApe is Australian and/or New Zealandish, but surely doing business in and according to Australian laws and regulations.

Prices at latest exchange rate.

Steam Standard = $93.70 AUD. Steam Deluxe = $105.44 AUD.

EB games AUST Standard = $98 AUD. EB Games Collectors Box = $129 AUD.

However you want to look at it. We are getting screwed.

Yep, the seller australia-games is selling it new for $41 plus postage.

Yes, MightyApe is Australian and/or New Zealandish, but surely doing business in and according to Australian laws and regulations.

Thanks.

I just wanted to point out that there are different prices in the same market.

Seems to contradict the mantra of "Steam is not responsible for prices! It's all the publisher!", no? :)

Prices at latest exchange rate.

Steam Standard = $93.70 AUD. Steam Deluxe = $105.44 AUD.

EB games AUST Standard = $98 AUD. EB Games Collectors Box = $129 AUD.

However you want to look at it. We are getting screwed.

Thanks.

I just wanted to point out that there are different prices in the same market.

Seems to contradict the mantra of "Steam is not responsible for prices! It's all the publisher!", no? :)

No, it doesn't. Read the post immediately above yours. I've even quoted it for your benefit.

Top Bottom