1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Puerto Rico Should Have Been a State Since 1960s

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by tuckerkao, Nov 5, 2019.

1. tuckerkao

tuckerkao Warlord

Puerto Rico has twice the amount of total population compare to Hawaii, but Puerto Rico still doesn't have the statehood in 2019 today. I'm wondering how can it declare the "State of Emergency" when Hurricane Irma and Maria making the landfalls?

Also If Puerto Rico were the 51st state back in year 2000, it would have 8 additional electoral votes for the Democrats, thus Al Gore would have been the 43rd President in this scenario.

2. Patine

Patine Deity

Nah. It should have been an independent republic since 1898. So should have the Philippines. The independence movements in both practically had control of most of their countries by the end of the Spanish-American War, but then Spain surrendered them (despite them, de facto, no longer really being theirs to give away), and then the Americans declared the independence movements to be "rebellions" and treated them, militarily, as such.

cardgame and Socrates99 like this.
  3. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

They aren't a state specifically because of one of the reasons you mentioned. They'd get electoral votes and house seats. Those had a hard cap placed on them so in order for Puerto Rico to get some they'd have to take away from other states. Where do they come from? States with high numbers like California and New York or states with low population that are technically "over represented" like Wyoming? Either option favors one party or another.

4. rah

rah Deity Supporter

It's the two senate seats that scares the Republicans the most. California an New York losing a couple isn't a problem.

5. Imaus

Imaus Prince

Puerto Rico should had been freed like the Philippines was since the 40s.

6. Patine

Patine Deity

A hard cap of seats is ridiculous, and I blame it on pandering to the Architect of the Capitol, because that would be the LEAST stupid reason for such a thing...

7. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

For those who haven't seen this. It's very enlightening

The_J, Phrossack and Socrates99 like this.
  8. rah

rah Deity Supporter

A hard cap is fine where I'm concerned. The number a congressmen represents is considerably different than it was. A consistent proportion would make congress so big it would be unmanageable.

Socrates99 likes this.
  9. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

I'm not against a hard cap but they do need to be re- aportioned more often to prevent some districts from having 30k people while others have over 70k population. Maybe if they worked like that there'd be less opposition to granting territories statehood.

10. Patine

Patine Deity

And non-partisan apportionment committees who can back up their decisions based on population agglomerations and compact district shape, rather than resident demographics or voting tendencies. And take the power ENTIRELY away from State Legislatures. And, the hard cap should not be SO hard that it can't EVER be reconsidered or revisited. After all, the British House of Commons has more than 200 more members than the U.S. House of Representatives, and things are not any MORE unmanageable there, relatively speaking (I mean both of those legislative chambers are utter circuses nowadays, but RELATIVELY speaking).

11. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Yes, apportionment should not be political. It should be analytical.

12. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Puerto Rico should be a state and we should be poco a poco inviting mas y mas de Latin America to join the USA and letting them decide.

13. Patine

Patine Deity

Nothing could possibly go wrong with that plan... :mischief:

14. Commodore

Commodore Technology of Peace

Puerto Rico isn't a state because they don't want to be one. Plain and simple. They have had several votes to become a state over the years and the pro-state movement has failed every time.

In my research though I see there was supposed to be a vote three days ago on the issue again. Does anyone have the results for that vote?

15. Patine

Patine Deity

As I pointed out above, they shouldn't have been U.S. territory in the first place. Nor should have the Philippines. Nor Hawaii. Nor Guam. McKinley was the dishonourable, dirty-handed "Thief of Nations," because he couldn't do even do honest, honourable conquest - he had to be underhanded.

16. Commodore

Hey, I have no problem with Puerto Rico being granted independence if they want it. From what I see though, it looks like the independence movement has failed just as much as the pro-state movement, though it does seem to be gaining more support now that they have switched from a platform of full independence to one of advocating for Free Associated State status. That gives them de facto independence while still allowing them to retain a lot of the benefits they currently enjoy as a US territory.

17. Patine

Patine Deity

Actually, that's just in the modern day. In the 1930's to 1960's, when the Independence Movement was VERY strong, it was treated as a treasonous, seditious, and insurgent movement by the American Government, even though they hadn't started out with any violence or sabotage attempts, and tried to use legitimate political channels from the start like PIP does today.

Arwon likes this.
  18. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Wiki says otherwise:

\

I can't find any indication of a vote 3 days ago.

19. Commodore

Nor can I except that same wiki article that said a statehood bill was introduced on October 30 and Puerto Ricans would vote on it on November 3.

EDIT: Nevermind. It says the vote will be on November 3, 2020. Didn't see the 2020 before.

20. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

Congress set the cap themselves, though. They're capable of raising it from 435 if they want.

hobbsyoyo likes this.