1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pulp fiction Sci-fi anyone?

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario League' started by techumseh, Oct 13, 2019.

1. techumseh

techumseh Emperor

Has anyone read any of the Barsoom books by Edgar Rice Burroughs, like "A Princess of Mars"? They were popular pulp fiction sci-fi books written in the 1930s and 40s, with a revival in the late '60s. Burroughs was also the author of the "Tarzan" books. Disney (I know) made a movie a number of years ago called "John Carter of Mars". The reason is that I have an old, half-finished scenario. It's multi-player and multi-level. Anybody interested?

2. JPetroski

JPetroski Emperor

I'd be interested in a new multiplayer scenario though this entire genre is largely foreign to me

3. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff

Always loved the Verne scen from the old CIV2. That era of adventure lends itself nicely to the game. Consider me interested. :)

4. techumseh

techumseh Emperor

John: Think hordes of green Martians with 4 arms, flying battleships, and swords and ray-guns.
    Curt: It could also be developed as a single player quest-type scenario, along the lines of Prince of Darkness.

A trailer from the movie:

5. Patine

Patine Deity

I've read the books. The original Disney movie (and the other vaguely-themed, John Carter-esque movies that came out in a similar time frame) were not very high quality to me films to me - than again, only a very few made in the last two decades I actually have a liking for - including a set of three @CurtSibling vocally detests. :p But the books were quite intriguing, I'll admit. It's an idea I'll keep an eye on, and maybe the odd bit of advice.

6. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff

@Patine
    Vocally detest...Those be strong words!
    What movies do you mean?...I am seldom moved to real emotions by movies these days, seeing as they are all crap.

7. Patine

Patine Deity

The Star Wars Prequels have gotten more negative commentary out of you on this sub-forum than any other movies that I recall...

8. techumseh

techumseh Emperor

And there he goes....hijacking another thread. :nono:

9. Patine

Patine Deity

I was done, actually. It was just a jovial jab with an emote, and then explanation of what was intimated. I wasn't planning on going any further.

10. JPetroski

JPetroski Emperor

So what will the multilevel mean/entail?

11. Patine

Patine Deity

As I recall, in the novels, Carter and company visited a few other worlds, including, I believe, Pulpy takes on Venus and Jupiter. I'm not sure if that's @techumseh had planned, but it does spring to mind from the original source material.

12. techumseh

techumseh Emperor

Barsoom's (Mars) surface, atmosphere (lots of aerial battles), underground seas, and Thuria (a moon of Mars). The various civs are essentially city states of 2 or 3 cities each, with vast wildernesses in between, populated by various fearsome beasts and hordes of Green Martians and dotted with dead cities. Aerial navies are the primary military force.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019