Puppet versus annex with courthouse.

ColinTH

Prince
In ten turns I would definately obtain a domination victory, so game over. So because I had a heck of alot of gold I wondered what would happen if I annexed and built courthouses in all the puppet Cities - below are the results.

Attachments

• England Courthouse.jpg
    England Courthouse.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 3,469
  • England Puppets.jpg
    England Puppets.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 3,124
Yes, I recalibrate like this if I need to expand or deal with unhappyness.

Although I've never been in such a position as you were

The Courthouse bug completely breaks the balance of Annex vs Puppet, as far as happiness is concerned.

Hmmm.

Well, to start with it cripples you to take the cities over. So it pays to puppet them then. Towards the end of the game? It pays to take control yourself, view it as removing layers of bureaucracy. ;)

50 happiness just from the per city penalty, right? You didn't have the Autocracy SP?

50 happiness just from the per city penalty, right? You didn't have the Autocracy SP?
Courthouses are currently bugged, so they don't just remove the happiness penalty - they add extra happiness over that (+2, if I'm not mistaken).

Courthouses are currently bugged, so they don't just remove the happiness penalty - they add extra happiness over that (+2, if I'm not mistaken).

They remove the per city penalty (+3 unhappy) in addition to the unhappiness from an occupied city. I guess this accounted for the 50 happiness he gained and would be twice that much if he had Autocracy. I know that some folks get a lot of mileage out of the purchase reduction/commerce/Big Ben combo. I'll have to try it some time. Just seems so late...

50 happiness just from the per city penalty, right?
Wrong, I think it adds up to 58 happiness from 15 puppets and in that one turn a theatre was built so 55.

You didn't have the Autocracy SP?

That's right.

@Ellye The Courthouse bug completely breaks the balance of Annex vs Puppet, as far as happiness is concerned.

Quite right, and this is why I posted the screen shots, to maybe enlighten a few people who kid themselves! I don't realy mind which way the game designers go as long as they can sort out this balance issue!

@Soneji - Well, to start with it cripples you to take the cities over. So it pays to puppet them then. Towards the end of the game? It pays to take control yourself, view it as removing layers of bureaucracy.

I understand what you are saying, but surely building a courthouse as soon as you can afford to has to be the best strategy unless you are going for a culture victory. I personally refuse to build courthouses for one reason - How will I come to terms with the adjusment once the bug is fixed?

Puppets is the dominant choice, so I don't mind this bug because it makes it actually more balanced. Remember that it takes a lot of gold to do this.

I know I get extra happy when I find myself near a courthouse. :rolleyes:

In civ V courthouses are like entertainment buildings, so I guess we can surmise that the creators of the game wish we were back in the days of public hangings and floggings where the whole town came out to spit and yell at criminals and watch them get hanged (that's gotta be right, 'cause "get hung" is too gross even for me :D).

Way to make a subtle political point firaxis.

When it's working right it should provide a choice between happiness/production and culture/policies while either route gives you more science and gold as an incentive to take cities.

Unfortunately, at the moment it's so broke that it's a no-brainer.

I know I get extra happy when I find myself near a courthouse. :rolleyes:

In civ V courthouses are like entertainment buildings, so I guess we can surmise that the creators of the game wish we were back in the days of public hangings and floggings where the whole town came out to spit and yell at criminals and watch them get hanged (that's gotta be right, 'cause "get hung" is too gross even for me :D).

Way to make a subtle political point firaxis.

Schadenfreude

why does the science go down when u build the courthouses and annexed the cities?

why does the science go down when u build the courthouses and annexed the cities?

The first screen shot is annexed. The second SS is puppet (you can tell by the cross in front of each city name), I had just aquired my 18th social policy which was sovereignty in the rationalism Policy Tree and this gives you 15% more science if your empire is happy!

No I thinx its more balanced puppets dont increase cost social policies while anexing does...

Costs of social policies are only one point of balance-tweaking between puppets and annexed cities.

Most conquered cities should be puppets. They produce tons of gold and slightly increase your science. You have to "pay" for this, so your unhappiness increase and you can not choose what to build - especially cou can´t build military.

Annexed cities shouldn´t be the norm. The biggest advantage ist your capability to build military units; so your war-machine is becoming bigger and bigger the more cities you´ve allready conquered. The costs of the courthouse and the increased costs of the social policies are the price.

The Courthouse-bug is destroying this balance as described above. Now annexed cities are clearly superior and every conquered city should be annexed ... unless you are going a culture victory.

I don't like annexing much even with the courthouse bug. I do it only occasionally (if I've captured Hanging Gardens or otherwise super powerful city). It slows down social policies, and in early game makes getting national wonders harder too. For example if I haven't built Oxford yet, I don't want to annex new cities as I need universities in all of them. An empire wide production isn't nearly as important as it used to be now when SoDs are gone, rather you just need couple of high production cities.

Top Bottom