1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

PureNES - The End of Innocence

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by uknemesis, Feb 9, 2003.

1. uknemesis

uknemesis The Nemesis

The world stands on the brink of the true industrial revolution, a time where the world as people know it will change to something they would no longer recognise.

But in this time of such change, will the nations that industrialise first keep their principles and morals, or will they use the new technology to crush their opposition, and to create world-spanning empires?

Some may use this time to colonise other areas to educate and Westernise their people, but even their so-called moral crusades are simply a guise to create an empire and force their culture upon others.

So as the world rushes headlong into the industrial age, empires will rise and fall, nations will conquer or be conquered, and wars will be won and lost.

For in an age where human ambition and greed are the enemies, and conscience the only guide, war is inevitable.

Welcome to PureNES, a joint effort between myself, Jason the King and Toasty.

This NES is designed to return the NESs to the basic NESs that began this forum, such as the Never Ending Story, das's original NES series, Simple and Regulated NES, Toasty's Return to our Roots NES and Jason's I Know, I Know Not Another NES and JNESs.

The rules are simple. you get a certain number of points each day. For game purposes, you can say that each point is $1 billion. The number of points you get are listed on each nation's stats, as is their treasury.

With those points you can invest in your country, or trade with others. The amount said is merely the total required to completely upgrade - basically it won't happen until you have all those points in invested. You can invest it per turn, and the amount invested will show next to the area it is invested in. The advantage of investing is that for your armed forces, some of those men or ships that are to expand your armed forces may be able to aid you in battle, and for upgrading an age, you may be able to get a tech that is only available for the tech level you are upgrading to, rather than waiting until you have upgraded fully to that age to get it. Such circumstances will be mentioned in upgrades.

Here is the basic list of what you can invest in, for anything else simply PM me or ask me on AIM, don't post it because I may miss it:

Increase army by 5,000 men COSTS 3 POINTS

Increase army by 2,500 cavalry COSTS 5 POINTS

Increase army by 50 artillery COSTS 2 POINTS

Increase navy by 5 ships COSTS 3 POINTS

Upgrade to Early Industrial Age COSTS 10 POINTS

Upgrade to Middle Industrial Age COSTS 25 POINTS

When new Tech Levels (Ages) are finally introduced, or new techs, you will be told their price. As you can see, there won't be much upgrading of Tech Levels in this NES.

Expansion is free, but it depends on whether the terrain is resource rich or inhospitable how it will affect your economy, which is shown by the number of points you have.

ORDERS ARE SENT BY PRIVATE MESSAGE TO ME. This is simply to make sure that I don't miss anything.

Stories are encouraged, as is a lot of diplomacy lol. Most of what you can do except of course increasing army sizes or upgrading ages is free and story driven, and the few things that wouldn't be (ie; building big fortifications or upgrading part of your army to elite) can be easily given a value by me, to keep the realism there.

The only people allowed to play at the beginning are invited people. If any of these reject, myself, Jason the King and Toasty will discuss other possible candidates. I would like to stress this isn't based on favouritism, but on the amount of story writing, diplomacy and sense that the players have shown in successive NESs.

I will be playing as Britain, but I will post all of my buys in the update, and I will be very careful about combat involving Britain (it is very likely that Britain will rarely go to war), and probably end up making Britain lose many battles they shouldn't lol because of my conscience. If there is ever any doubt of my battle outcomes involving Britain, I will ask Jason the King to do the outcome, and if it is me against Jason I will ask Toasty.

The more you write in the planning of your battle, the more likely it is to be successful as you may be able to find weaknesses in the enemy's defence (ie; if they've said all troops defend London, and you just say attack Britain, you'll end up getting hurt. If however you said take all of Britain except London, which is to be put under siege, then you would probably easily take all of Britain except London for little loss). If the defender hasn't PMed their locations, or posted them, then I will assume that they have their troops evenly spread out, with concentrations in the capital and important areas.

Anyway, back to the invites:

*Toasty
    *Jason the King
    *IceEye
    *Giovanni Wine
    *SKILORD
    *Kennelly
    *das
    *Dexter
    *lmsw
    Plexus
    *Naervod
    Revolutionairy
    *Grand Master
    *Consul Thud
    *::KNAS::
    Erik Mesoy
    Heine

Nations not taken: Japan and Rome

And now finally, the nations, but first a few international scales to help matters (you may create your own including mixed units but be sure to tell me what they are lol):

One regiment = 5,000 men OR 2,500 cavalry OR 50 artillery
    One division = 25,000 men OR 12,500 cavalry OR 250 artillery

One squadron = 5 ships
    One fleet = 25 ships

Techs:

NAVAL TECHS:

We are currently still stuck with wooden ships and sailships, but next turn I will unveil these techs:

Iron ships - Requires Middle Industrial Age tech level. Costs 7 points. Makes your ships a lot hardier and more heavily armoured.

Steamships - Requires Early Industrial Age tech level. Costs 5 points. Makes your ships a lot more reliable, no longer having to rely on the wind, but unless you have the Iron Ships tech, this tech can make your wooden ships a lot more hazardous due to the obvious - the burning of coal. This will improve your economy, and make your navy stronger.

Breech-loading guns - Requires Early Industrial Age tech level. Costs 5 points. Makes your ships much more deadly, but with the obvious risks involved unless your ships are made of iron. Lethal against wooden ships, and the only decent weapon against iron ships.

LAND TECHS:

Breech loading rifles Suddenly your troops are a lot more deadly in attack and defence - able to fire quicker at the enemy and reload under fire. You must have the Early Industrial Age tech, and this costs 5 gold.

Early Gatling Gun Requires the Middle Industrial Age tech level, and this costs 7 gold. The early Gatling guns are unreliable, and go through ammo like it is going out of fashion, but they are deadly in defence - although they are too cumbersome to attack with.

Railways Requires the Early Industrial Age tech level. Has a huge effect on your economy, but costs 10 gold.

MAP

Have fun and good luck!

Nemesis

PS: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads3/purenes4.gif

2. uknemesis

uknemesis The Nemesis

TIMELINE

1851 (Turn 1):
    Many colonies are expanded, and the Aztecs have problems in expanding with Amazonian tribes, which are ruthlessly crushed, while the Aborigines declare war on any foreigner in Australia and steal artillery from the British. Egypt invades Zululand, taking Ethiopia and more, badly hurting Zulu pride and military strength - only at sea do the Zulus trully win.

1852 (Turn 2):
    War erupts between the American nations and France, with huge amphibious invasions. The Egyptian advance into Zululand is finally halted by British intervention, but the cost of the victory means that Zululand is still in peril. Russia invades Greece, but is easily repulsed.

1853 (Turn 3): Continued here
    Babylon is invaded by Greece and Persia, and counter-attacks against Persia, cutting that nation in two. The Confederacy is repulsed by the Aztecs in Texas, and they retaliate by invading the CSA. The CSA troops have more luck in the north, where they push the Union troops back to Washington. The entire Egyptian colony in South America is slaughtered by the deadly Aztecs. Egyptian troops advance quickly into Zululand once more, but find that the Zulus have landed behind their lines, as have the British.

1854 (Turn 4)

3. naervod

naervod My current user title

Germany:
    Government: Constitutional Monarchy
    Ruler: Jason the King
    Points this Turn: 6
    Treasury: 4
    Military Strength: 80,000 men, 25,000 cavalry, 1,250 pieces of artillery, 25 ships.
    Tech. Level: Middle Industrial Age
    Notes: Early Gatling Guns and Breech Loading Rifles

Great Britain:
    Government: Constitutional Monarchy
    Ruler: uknemesis
    Points this Turn: 5
    Treasury: 0
    Military Strength: 10,500 men, 6,000 cavalry, 950 pieces of artillery, 75 ships.
    Notes: Iron Ships, Breech Loading Rifles, Steamships

Aztlan:
    Government: Monarchy
    Ruler: .:KNAS:.
    Military Strength: 89,700 men, no cavalry, 50 artillery, no ships
    Tech. Level: Late Middle Ages(6)
    Notes: Jaguar and Eagle (full strength) Warriors are elite regiments, equipped with Middle Industrial Age technology.
    Is building the Panama Canal (2, Turn 2)

United States of America:
    Government: Republic
    Ruler:
    Treasury: 2
    Military Strength: 8,000 men, 6,000 cavalry, 350 pieces of artillery, 10 ships.
    Notes: Breech Loading Rifles

Confederate States of America:
    Ruler:
    Military Strength: 10,000 men, 8,000 cavalry, 270 pieces of artillery, 5 ships.
    Notes: Iron Ships

Iroquois:
    Ruler:
    Treasury: 7
    Military Strength: 45,000 men, 15,000 cavalry, 250 pieces of artillery, 40 ships.
    Tech. Level: Early Industrial Age

Japan:
    Ruler:
    Military Strength: 20,000 men, 20,000 cavalry, 2,000 pieces of artillery, 65 ships

China:
    Government: Despotism
    Ruler: Consul Thud
    Military Strength: 150,000 men, no cavalry, 100 pieces of artillery, 5 ships

India:
    Ruler: das
    Treasury: 12
    Military Strength: 80,000 men, 40,000 cavalry, 1,500 pieces of artillery, 40 ships

Russia:
    Ruler: Naervod
    Military Strength: 51,000 men, 58,500 cavalry, 930 pieces of artillery, 10 ships.
    Notes: Early Gatling Gun, Breech-Loading Rifles

Persia:
    Ruler: Toasty
    Military Strength: 38,500 men, 7,200 cavalry, 840 pieces of artillery, no ships.
    Tech. Level: Early Industrial Age.
    Notes: Breech Loading Rifles

Babylon:
    Ruler: IceEye
    Military Strength: 18,500 men, 16,700 cavalry, 785 pieces of artillery, 12 ships.
    Notes: Breech-Loading Rifles

Egypt:
    Ruler: Kennelly
    Points this Turn: 4
    Military Strength: 23,500 men, 2,500 cavalry, 245 pieces of artillery, no ships.
    Tech. Level: Middle Industrial Age.

Zululand:
    Ruler: SKILORD
    Treasury:
    Military Strength: 19,500 men, 2,000 cavalry, no artillery, 10 ships.

Greece:
    Government: Democracy
    Ruler: Giovanni Wine
    Military Strength: 77,000 men, 32,500 cavalry, 1,700 pieces of artillery, 35 ships.
    Notes: Iron Ships, Breech-Loading Rifles

Rome:
    Ruler:
    Points this Turn: 7
    Military Strength: 35,000 men, 20,000 cavalry, 1,700 pieces of artillery, 50 ships.
    Notes: Railways

France:
    Ruler:
    Military Strength: 30,000 men, 40,000 cavalry, 950 pieces of artillery, 10 ships.

4. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Deity

Thank, I'll accept the invite and play America. :)

America:
    Ruler: President Levenson / Grandmaster
    Points this Turn: 3
    Military Strength: 55,000 men, 45,000 cavalry, 1,250 pieces of artillery, 65 ships.

5. Jason The King

Jason The King Deity

To Czar Nicholas Lakitov and of Prime Minster Nemesis of Britain
    From Kaiser Wilhelm of Great Germany

Friends, our nations have been through a lot together. In order to compete in this valent new world, we must join forces rather then be against eachother. Therfore, I proposes the Trinity Alliance to be formed, consisting of our nations. This will soley be a protection pact, and only will be aggressive when all nations have chosen to be so.

Also, trading should be a priority between our nations.

6. naervod

naervod My current user title

To: Kaiser Wilhelm of Great Germany

We gladly accept, also, ignore our previous message.

7. Toasty

Toasty Old Guard

Persia: Emperor Darius
    Ruler: Toasty
    Military Strength: 30,000 men, 10,000 cavalry, 1,250 pieces of artillery, no ships.

8. Plexus

Plexus Architeuthidae puericomedentis

Rome: Berrius Caesar
    Ruler: Plexus
    Military Strength: 35,000 men, 20,000 cavalry, 1,750 pieces of artillery, 50 ships.

9. Giovanni Wine

Giovanni Wine Drunk And Happy

OOC: Thanks for the invitation

Greece:
    Government: Democracy
    Ruler: Giovanni Wine
    Military Strength: 75,000 men, 45,000 cavalry, 2,000 pieces of artillery, 40 ships.

The Hellenic Times
    23rd January 1851
    After the elctions in Greece, the new president of our glorious nation shall be Giovannopulos Oinos, leader of the Green Party.
    the newly elected leader made a speech on the senate talking about the programs of his government, and about his wishes to see peace in Europe preserved.

The Green Party won with a margin of 13% over the runners up, the Coservative Union.
    this is a the percantage of how many seats each party got in the Congress.
    Green Party: 53%
    Conservative Union: 40%
    Communist Party of Greece: 7%

Thanks to this big advantage the Green Party should not have many problems in running the nations, at least till next elections (one every 6 turns).

-------------------

To: Germany, France, Russia, Britain, Rome

The Democratic Repubblic of Hellas extend her friendship to all of you, and wish to sign a NAP with all your nations.

Saluti

10. Heine

Heine The Norwegian Viking

Strange, I have played most of the story neses but are not invated.
    Plexus, Grandmastar, consul thuds etc is new ones here, so why are they invated but not I?????

11. Dexter

Dexter Emperor

OOC: Thanks for the Invitation :D I shall be joining as France.

Louis Napoleon Crowned Emperor!
    French President Louis Napoleon has been crowned Emperor Napoleon III of France. Like his father the great Napoleon Bonaparte he has risen to rule as one over this great Nation. Long live the Emperor and his rule!

To: Greece and Rome
    Friends, would you be interested in forming the Mediterranean Alliance, a DPP in which we swear to protect each other should we be attacked?
    Yours in friendship,
    Emperor Napoleon III of France

France:
    Government:
    Constitutional Empire
    Ruler: Louis Napoleon III
    Military Strength: 45,000 men, 45,000 cavalry, 1,250 pieces of artillery, 50 ships.

12. Angelscotboi

Angelscotboi Emperor

OOC: Ill accept the invite too.

Iroquois Confederacy of 6 Nations: lmsw08233
    Ruler: Consul Dekanwidah Huron
    Military Strength: 75,000 men, 15,000 cavalry, 500 pieces of artillery, 40 ships.

IC: 40 years ago the Iroquois nation collapsed into a bloody civil war, caused by interfering outside influences and internal division which has existed since the days of the American War Of Independence, during which the Nation was divided over which side to support.
    The Nations of the Huron, Mohawk, Onodaga, Oneida, Cayuga, and Seneca made up the Confederacy back then. The Cayuga and Seneca on one side, the Onodaga and Mohawk on another, while the Oneida attacked everyone, and the Huron tried to stop the war and reunite the nation.
    The civil war saw the destruction of the Oneida tribe at the hands of a combined Cayuga-Seneca and Onodaga-Mohawk army. The 4 tribes working together allowed the Huron to point out that the war was foolishness and that they were better united than divided.
    This Huron belief was reinforced when the Sioux invaded meaning to take advantage of the Confederacies disunity, and were surprised to meet a united army under the command of Hiwatha Onodaga. This invasion brought an abrupt end to the civil war, and began the Iroquois-Sioux war which lasted for nearly 3 decades.
    After around 30 years of fighting, the Iroquois were able to acquire some advanced technology from an unkown source, which they quickly implemented into their armies, resulting the complete conquest of the Nation of the Sioux by the Confederacy.
    Hiwatha built a republican style Government within the Confederacy before finally retiring and surrendering control of the Confederacy to the New Republican elected Consul Dekanawidah Huron.

Diplomacy=
    To: President Levenson of America

Greetings friend and neighbour, from the Iroquois Confederacy of 6 Nations. After our recent wars and conflicts we have been able to recover quite well and are now ready to step out onto the worlds stage.
    To this end we propose a MPP with America, and the creation of Trade agreements between us.

To: Aztlan

Greetings from IroquoisLand.
    We would like to propose a NAP, and the opening of Trade Routes with your nation.

13. Erik Mesoy

Erik Mesoy Core Tester / Intern

Heine: I echo your sentiments, but maybe the new ones are invited because they are noticeable? Or maybe *someone* feels a need to be *nice* (gasp!) towards the new people?
    Or maybe the reasons made in the first post...

14. Revolutionairy

Revolutionairy President for life

Japan:
    Ruler: Rev
    Military Strength: 20,000 men, 20,000 cavalry, 2,000 pieces of artillery, 60 ships

Could you post what the order should look like? just so I dont mess things up

15. das

das Regeneration In Process

Gajarupta (Das) returns to power in India (OOC: thanks for inviting me, and I just remembered - did I see that map soemwhere in another NES before?) after an exile, and he is welcomed in with a parade.

TO PERSIA: Hail, great emperor! I have returned, and I offer an alliance!

OOC: I am stocking my Points for later use, okay?

16. IceEye

IceEye Emperor

After the death of emperor Kajohito his son, Makesu, took the power in Japan and was named:
    Emperor Makesu-Sama.

Japan:
    Ruler: Emperor Makesu-Sama(IceEye)
    Military Strength: 20,000 men, 20,000 cavalry, 2,000 pieces of artillery, 60 ships

To: China
    We have had enough of your ignorance and stupidity. Japan will not let China threathen to take Japanese soil. We will have to make sure you no longer pose a threat to Japan. We will set up a blockade until you surrender our rightful land to us, from Korea northwards to Russias border. If the territory has not been handed over to us after 3 (turns). War will be declared.

17. Revolutionairy

Revolutionairy President for life

Iceeye I already claimed Japan. About two posts above yours

18. Giovanni Wine

Giovanni Wine Drunk And Happy

To: France, Rome

We agree in joining in a DPP with your glorious nations, as we feel that this will restore the balance of power in Europe, and therefore prevent any war from happening again.

To: Russia, Germany, Britain

Of course you don't have to take the Mediterranean Alliance as something against you, as we would prefer our two alliances to cooperate together rather than fighting each other, therefore we renew our offer of a NAP to your nations, and hopefully we will be able to get some trade deals going in the future.

Saluti

19. Kennelly

Kennelly Starfleet Admiral

I'll be Egypt,a story will follow tonight or tomorrow.

20. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Deity

The Washington Post
    Landslide victory! Levenson wins over Stevenson! The Republican Governor of New York has been elected President of the United States, continuing the long line of Republican Presidents! His stated goals are to strengthen the military, increase foreign trade, and expand American power throughout the world.

To: Iroquois
    Greetings, neighbors! America greets you! The business of America is business, as I always say, so we gladly accept your proposed trade deal. We also accept the MPP. The Monroe Doctrine strictly forbids European powers from entering the Americas; let's join forces to repell any colonists that come.

--President Matthew Levenson of America

To: Aztlan
    Hail, friends! America greets you. Our factories are productive and our fields are fertile; will you trade with us? That way we can all get rich. Also, how about an MPP? An American Alliance would ensure the safety of our continent against outside empires.

--President Matthew Levenson of America