Purge the Unfaithful

Ribusprissin

Warlord
So, I was playing Malakim with a goal of religious victory (dwarves and elves having all died off to barbarians), and decided to found some extra religions before completing Purge the Unfaithful. I was surprised to find my holy cities still had their starred religion icons when the project finished. Does PtU not remove religion from holy cities?

Your weapon is surprise!

You can have your holy city razed, then rebuild it with the same name... It's like nothing happened. Also, I don't see the utility of Purge the Unfaithful, unless you are trying to remove the Ashen Veil - but it's useless since it adds +3 to the AC.

It is useful if you wish to win a religious victory.
It is also useful if you have, say, 10 cities with AV, so you go -10+3=-7 ;)

You can have your holy city razed, then rebuild it with the same name... It's like nothing happened.

Are you saying that if a holy city is razed and then rebuilt.... it is still a holy city as long as the name matches? Or does the location matter?

Doesn't the auto city naming system always default to the earliest unused city name?

I'm sure I've seen the AI build cities that had names of cities I razed or at least captured and renamed.....

Seems too easy....

I still don't understand what Religious Victory really means... I mean I was playing a game a few days back and the ljosafar won religious victory... FoL wasn't even in any one of my cities and they didn't 'purge the unfaithful'. What's the mechanic really?

I still don't understand what Religious Victory really means... I mean I was playing a game a few days back and the ljosafar won religious victory... FoL wasn't even in any one of my cities and they didn't 'purge the unfaithful'. What's the mechanic really?
80% of the worlds population worship that religion. Who ever has the Holy city wins?

the entire population of a city worships a any religion in the city. Equally. Meaning a size 12 City with 3 religions in it counts as +4 population toward each of those 3 cities.

Lets talk a VERY small world for this example. Exactly 100 population world wide for easy math

5 cities in the world
Pop 20 - FoL
pop 15 - Runes, AV, and FoL
pop 15 - AV
pop 20 - FoL and Runes
pop 30 - FoL

In this example
Runes has 15 population or 15% of the world
Fol has 65%
AV has 20%

I do NOT know how a city with no religion is counted or how fractions are dealt with.

Go to the praying hands icon to see each religions % in the world at any given time.

The one time I TRIED for it I was at 70% of the world so i simply had all my workers change EVERYTHING to farms and grew my population while having my preists travel through open boarders erasing other religions. didn't take long.

I like to use religion to wrap up games quickly. RAX (Rabid Aggressive Expansion) most of the world and spread your religion (CoE and Order spread fast) everywhere. Then purge and instant win.

Are you saying that if a holy city is razed and then rebuilt.... it is still a holy city as long as the name matches? Or does the location matter?

Doesn't the auto city naming system always default to the earliest unused city name?

I'm sure I've seen the AI build cities that had names of cities I razed or at least captured and renamed.....

Seems too easy....

no, it doesn't rebuild the holy city. He was saying that if you want to get rid of the holy city, get the city razed and then rebuild it w/o the holy religion.

First of all, two basic facts. Feel free to disagree, not like I care.

no holy city == no mana
no mana == not good

So we can conclude, razing holy cities is not good.

no holy city == not good

Yeah, except for a shrine costs 1 GP, and many times I have better things to spend it on. Some shrine mana types aren't even always useful (water, nature).

First of all, two basic facts. Feel free to disagree, not like I care.
Well, I am sure you don't care, but since you gave the option...;)

no holy city == no mana
no mana == not good

So we can conclude, razing holy cities is not good.

no holy city == not good

Interesting equation, but of course there are many factors.
Like:

AV Holy City == AV Spread
AV Spread == AC raise
AC Raise == Not Good(unless you are Sheaim or Infernals)
AV Holy city == Not Good

so, we can conclude raising the AV holy city is good if you are not Sheaim or Infernals

No AV Holy city == Good

But I will agree(as if you care) that any other holy city is good to keep, unless you
want to go for a religious victory
, where it is best if you can raze every other holy city but yours.

Top Bottom