Putmalk's Ancient World Mod

orielense

Chieftain
Does anyone know whether Putmalk's Ancient World Mod will work on the Mav version of Civ5? If so, how do I install it and get it to play? :D

There's no known reason for mods not to work with the Mac versions of Civ5. It's extremely unlikely that any require a more recent patch than we have. There are instructions around here for installing mods and getting them to work.

Start with the FAQ. Make sure you take account of the differences between the App[le] Store and Steam versions; and if you are running Lion you need to know how to get into the hidden ~/Library/ folder.

Well, there's one reason: the mod author chooses to distribute the mod only as a self-extracting .exe file. In that case, you need to ask him nicely for different package. :)

Edit: Time to retire the Christmas smileys, isn't it?

Fair comment. Normally they are either Civ5Mod files or zips, though, aren't they?

I don't have any control over the smileys on the site. But where I live, there are 12 days of Christmas, and it's supposed to be bad luck to take the decorations down earlier than January 6.

Thanks Alan. I have tried following all the steps recommended at the FAQ, but I still cannot get the mod to display in my mods list.

I wonder whether anyone else has had success installing and playing Putmalk's Ancient World Mod?

:rolleyes:

Which one are you trying to use, what have you done to prepare it, and where have you put it?

I searched for the mod and found there are two versions and a variety pack:
(Version 6 - FULL) - Requires Babylon, Spain/Inca, and Mongol DLC
(Version 6 - Non-DLC) - See "Non-DLC" section. This version has not been released yet.
(Variety Pack 1) - Includes five new random maps and two new civilizations. Compatable with both versions, NOT with vanilla civilization V.

I already have the MODS menu enabled in my copy of Civ5. Here are the steps I followed:

- downloaded the Non-DLC version
- removed the apostrophe from the .civ5mod file name, as Ez7z seems to object to it
- expanded it into a new folder called "Putmalks Ancient World" using Ez7z
- the new folder contains /Art, /LUA, /XML folders, and a file called "Putmalk's Ancient World (No DLC) (v 6).modinfo"
- moved that new folder into ~/Library/Application Support/Civilization V Campaign Edition/MODS/**
- launched Civ5, selected MODS -> Browse Mods, and enabled Putmaiks Ancient World.
- clicked Back, selected "Single Player" -> Setup Game
- I could then select one of the new Civs and start a game.

** I'm using the App Store version of Civ5. If you have the Steam version you need to put it into the appropriate MODS folder, typically:
~/Documents/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS.

Thanks a lot for taking the trouble.

After downloading and installing the latest version of Ez7z (version 2.12), I followed all your steps down to '- expanded it into a new folder called "Putmalks Ancient World" using Ez7z'.

At this point I get an Applescript error message: 'Can't make last item of {} into type string. (-1700)'

Nothing expands into the folder.

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

:(

I was using v2.04, but I just downloaded v2.12, which is the latest one linked on MacUpdate and at the developer's site. it behaves the same as 2.04.

Where did you get 2.13?

Ez7z seems very fussy about file names and paths. Are there any apostrophes or other non-alphanumeric characters in the folder names and paths you are trying to use? For example, if you try to expand the file straight into ~/Documents/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS/<new folder name> it will probably fail due to the apostrophe in this path.

I opened Ez7z and dragged the downloaded .civ5mod file onto its window. You should then have the file name "Putmalks Ancient World ...." displayed in the window.

I clicked the "Expand" option at the top of the window. A sheet opens with three checkboxes. I didn't alter any of them, so "Keep full paths" was checked, and "Password" and "Overwrite files ..." were not checked.

I clicked "Go". This opened a "Choose a Folder" dialog to select the destination. I set the location to "Desktop" and clicked "New Folder" at the bottom. I named the new folder "Putmalks Ancient World" and clicked OK. I then clicked "Choose" to select this as the destination, and the progress window opened to show that the file was expanded.

I then moved the folder from my desktop to the MODS folder.

Thanks once again for your help and patience. I followed your instructions exactly, but still get the identical Applescript error I mentioned before. I have the Steam version of Civ 5; could that be the problem?

I am using version 2.12 of Ez7z.

UPDATE

I just tried it in the Steam version, and I remembered that I have "MapDocumentsToApplicationSupport = 1;" set in my ~/Library/Preferences/com.aspyr.civ5.plist prefs file, so the path for the MODS folder for my Steam version is:

~/Library/Application Support/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS/

It works in the Steam version when I put it there.

Thanks. I am sure that will work if only I can overcome the problem with not being able to extract the .civ5mod file.

UPDATE: I finally got the .civ5mod file to fully extract. I used 'The Unarchiver' application, and it worked immediately. All the components are added to my Mods folder. The mod seems to be functioning now. Thanks a lot.:)

Welp glad to see everything's working with the installation.

Just keep in mind I am releasing a new version in about...well, 15 minutes. So you'll have to probably go through the trouble again. XD

I still don't know why there are problems with Ez7z - it works fine here. One possible issue - you have to drag Ez7z into /Applications/, you can't just run it from the disk image that you download.

I just re-tested Ez7z in OS X 10.7 (Lion) in case that was causing trouble, but it works fine. I *did* see the error : 'Can't make last item of {} into type string. (-1700)' once. I think it was when I clicked OK after creating the new folder and didn't ensure that the new folder was the selected location before clicking "Choose". The next time I tried it, it worked OK.

@Putmalk: Welcome to the Mac forum. As long as you distribute your mod as a .civ5mod for direct download, it should be a matter of minutes to replace the old version ... as long as the Mac users can work out how to expand it. Mac users don't have access to the online mod store.

@Putmalk: Welcome to the Mac forum. As long as you distribute your mod as a .civ5mod for direct download, it should be a matter of minutes to replace the old version ... as long as the Mac users can work out how to expand it. Mac users don't have access to the online mod store.

Hi AlanH,

I appreciate the help in taking care of potential Mac players. I own a PC, I don't know how to debug Mac issues.

I don't use ModBrowser, it crashes my files (at least, last time I checked it did). I do upload .civ5mod files for people to use, nothing else, really.

Thanks again!

Top Bottom