1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Putting baby in the corner

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by PlotinusRedux, Feb 10, 2017.

1. PlotinusRedux

PlotinusRedux Warlord

So, I got frustrated with winning science victories in the 1600's only to get "Herbert Hoover" rank and decided to go for the highest score I could.

This meant a huge map where I needed to take out all the competing civs, yet somehow have one stay around to avoid triggering a military victory even with "Domination Victory" turned off while insuring he never became a nuisance.

My solution? I walked a settler deep into the snow to found a city that even at max reach will never have a productive tile and is too far away from any other city to even create a trade route. Then I sold this city to my final victim for 1 Gold (he wouldn't accept it as a gift), took all his other cities, made peace, and put a couple of guards to watch it in case it ever managed to grow beyond 1 somehow and tried to produce a settler (and so I could look at him and laugh every 50 turns or so).

baby_in_the_corner.jpg

After 150 turns, he has managed to build 1 warrior and 1 trader, who is just stuck there since he can't reach anything. He hasn't managed to gain a single civic, tech, or great person point in that time.

I did miscount, though, eventually he'll be able to reach that 1 snow covered hill that will give him 1 production--I'll just have to nuke it at that point.

Now that I think of it, though, I should have done this with my first victim, not my last, so I could trap him forever in the first gvt--I think I let this guy get to Oligarchy, and once in a while he sends out an envoy.

2. Piruparka

Piruparka Prince

*insert 'but why'-gif here*

3. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Why are you so cruel :D

4. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Elite Quattromaster - Monarch (BTS) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

That's awesome - it is the traditional way to win Time games in Civ IV. Won't you win a culture victory very quickly though??

5. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

He said he turned off dominion victory, so I suppose he also turned off culture.

6. bladex

bladex Emperor

WAT @ thread?

7. PlotinusRedux

PlotinusRedux Warlord

Yeah, I turned off every victory except score and, in case I just get too bored to wait for the turn limit since it's on epic speed, science.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  8. PlotinusRedux

PlotinusRedux Warlord

Here's the really sad thing--I resigned to him in 550 AD and got my 1st Caesar ranking outside of a scenario. Scoring is really broken--you should get *some* bonus for winning and/or *some* penalty for losing....

9. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

You nasty person, you could at least have given him a desert island full of seaside resorts.
    Having played one Julius game.... Will you ever do another?

10. PlotinusRedux

PlotinusRedux Warlord

Lol, no, that was painful. I was planning on going for the highest score I could get until I noticed on epic the game lasts 1500 turns and I wasn't even up to turn 500.

And I did reward him for his millennia in the snow by surrendering the entire world to him in the end. Sure, I had 20-some-odd future techs, nukes, and was finishing the last part of the Mars ship, but his warrior looked *really* scary.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  11. Rosty K

Rosty K King

Actually, marathon is 1500. Epic should be slightly less. Like 750.

12. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

I have a normal game now at turn 300 out of 500 with everything turned off on about 2300 points. I just cannot bring myself to continue grinding until the end.

13. ShinigamiKenji

ShinigamiKenji King

I'll remember to tune turn limit down to 350-ish turns, if I ever want to go for a Score Victory. Seriously, is there even an achievement for that??

14. MaximusPlatypus

MaximusPlatypus O.O

This reminds me of a Civ 5 game I had. I got upset with Monte after centuries (and multiple games) of frustration with him. I got him down to 1 city in a corner like this and dropped a bunch of citadels leaving no workable tiles. No screenshot of that game, sorry.

15. ThERat

ThERat Deity

I imagine it to be the mostest, insanely entertaining cliffhanger game ever.

You are too free, I'd think.

16. PlotinusRedux

PlotinusRedux Warlord

Ah, marathon, then, I picked whichever is the slowest.

17. Yzman

Yzman Deity

Can you post a pic of what the map looks like? I think I have gotten the lowest 3 in every game so far. Not that I care about score, but it is rather annoying there aren't modifiers.

18. PlotinusRedux

PlotinusRedux Warlord

I had to stitch this together from multiple screen shots even using the More Zoom mod:

Spoiler giant screen shot :
    Baby_in_the_corner_full.jpg

Note I'm getting severely cheated on science and culture per turn:

Spoiler :
    ScienceBug.jpg

Moderator Action: Large screenshot wrapped in spoiler tags. Jon

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2017
  19. ShinigamiKenji

ShinigamiKenji King

Holy sheep, I'm at a loss of words here. I wonder how long does a turn take on a map like this.