1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Putting units into a boat

Discussion in 'Civ1 - General Discussions' started by JimmyC, Sep 7, 2018.

1. JimmyC

JimmyC Chieftain

I’ve recentlh started playing the original Civ That I remember playing in childhood via Amiga emulation.

The game seems to work fine but I can’t work out how to put units into a boat. If I have a Trieme and I want to load it up with settlers, I thought you could just make the settlers ‘go’ to the boat but the game acts as if this is an invalid move and does nothing.

Is there some special order to get a unit to board a boat?

2. tuga2112

tuga2112 Chieftain

i dont know about the amiga version. but what you describe is one of the ways to do it in the dos version

the alternative way to loads units in a boat i know is
    move the boat into a city
    move units into the city and sentry them
    move boat out of the city
    the boat should have the units loaded.

are you sure your moving the units to a boat that can carry units ? (in the dos version ironclads, carriers, battleships and cruisers cant transport units)

3. JimmyC

JimmyC Chieftain

The boat is a trieme which I believe can carry two units but isn’t carrying any.

Maybe it’s a difference in the Amiga version but that seems like a weird way for the game to vary.

4. SWY

SWY Chieftain

I think GoTo is not supposed to work for moving to an ocean tile, even if there's a boat present there. You should move your unit onto the boat with the cursor keys, or otherwise (like @tuga2112 said) sentry the unit in a city and 'pick it up' there.

5. JimmyC

JimmyC Chieftain

That’s the way I’ve been moving around so far. It might be that the cursors aren’t emulating properly from my Mac keyboard. I’ll give it another go later and see how things go.

6. JimmyC

JimmyC Chieftain

This may seem like a silly question, but how do you move diagonally with the cursors?

I had ‘joystick mode’ on in the emulator which meant that It wasn’t passing the cursor keys through normally

7. tuga2112

tuga2112 Chieftain

home
    page up
    page down
    end
    keys in my keyboard. (numerical pad)

8. JimmyC

JimmyC Chieftain

Ah! Numerical pad - don’t got one. Will have to plug in a full size keyboard!

9. tuga2112

tuga2112 Chieftain

they should work just fine in a short size keyboard its just awkward to use. but for testing you will be fine.

10. SWY

SWY Chieftain

You can also use right mouse click to move a unit.

11. JS38

JS38 Chieftain

You should be able to move a unit onto a tile containing any naval unit that can transport land units. I use the numberpad to direct my units movements, but I play on DOS.

12. Mize

Mize Chieftain

Fun fact: the AI can only load units on boats by moving the boat inside one of their ports and picking them up from there. This probably has to do with the fact that the GoTo command doesn't work for ocean tiles.

If you don't have a numerical keypad you can move diagonally with the page up, page down, home and end buttons, assuming at least you have those.