1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pyongyang Time

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by really, Aug 15, 2015.

1. really

really Deity

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-33942111
    North Korea has moved to a different time zone - from the imperialist time imposed by the Japanese a century ago (Tokyo time) to their historical time - half an hour behind Japan and half an hour ahead of China.

It is clear that if the South doesn't change time that they are puppets of the imperialists.

I can't wait for the proposal from Sinn Féin that we throw off this vestige of imperialism and we move to being an hour behind London time.

2. Tahuti

Tahuti Writing Deity

3. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

Already been posted in another thread.

Sorry, it hasn't, said thread was on another forum oops.

4. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Deity

I like North Korea becaue it is a totally and utterly crazy country. I admire its Purity.
    Spoiler :

5. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

Uh. A NK decision that I can actually understand and kind of agree with for once.

Strange day.

6. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

It's just a ploy so they can complain about the South being late to any future bilateral meetings.

7. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

It is best to forget that it was the Japanese who actually threatened much of the world at one point. That holding remembrances of this is clearly a silly gesture from a country which was completely subjugated.

Now it is clear the real enemy is a backward country that willingly gave up their nuclear weapons program under Clinton. But then they decided it was critical to their national defense after Bush started threatening to invade. All because they were suddenly a cartoonish member of the "axis of evil", much to disbelief of the South Koreans themselves who are the real victims of this all-too-typical US "diplomacy".

8. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

What? No videos? How do we know this history is what really happened?

9. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Countries that have threatened much of "the world" at one time or another:
    France
    England
    Germany
    USSR
    China
    USA
    Japan
    Spain

If we go further back in time, the list gets longer.

A list of subjugated nations would be very long. Move along; there is nothing to see here.

10. Formaldehyde

Yes. But there is now only one which continues to do so. And it certainly isn't North Korea.

I am with Oda Nobunaga on this one. Yet they are being mocked for it.

11. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

How u not remember most glorious world dictator Bhavv???

12. really

really Deity

I listened to an interview with a former British ambassador to NK who seemed to admire the move - south does nothing it is a puppet, south follows it is copying the north.

A no cost nationalist move to appeal to the masses and make the south look bad.

13. Formaldehyde

How does this make South Korea look bad? It seems that the South Korean president did that himself by even mentioning it in a negative context. Or was the BBC article incomplete? Did North Korea disparage South Korea for not doing the same thing even before they knew North Korea was doing it?

14. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Having "the world" in quotes might make that list seem reasonable. But if you go with "the world," literally, the list is much shorter. I would say there was a time when anyone, anywhere, had good reason to be afraid that the English were coming, or the French, or the Spanish. Portugal and Holland I'm leaving off because while they may have been feared around the world I don't think they were ever considered to be that dangerous by other Europeans.

The US has certainly been, and continues to be, a world wide threat due to our capabilities and unpredictable paranoia. I don't think anyone else has ever really gotten beyond "local problem" status.

We aren't on a pangea map so to get a conquest victory you have to spread your war beyond a single continent.

15. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

I think his point is that making the move put South Korea in a position where they either have to make the same move themselves (thus looking like they're just copying NK), or disparage the move (and look like a country trapped in its colonial past).

16. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Well, they could just ignore it and look like they are ignoring North Korea...

17. Formaldehyde

They could have simply just said nothing.

This is what is inherently wrong with this absurd "us vs them" world view.

18. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton King, Warrior, Prophet, Magician, Lover

Correct time zones are actually a valid concern /notboringbutinsightfullandfun

Ask Spain, which is well within an hour into a wrong time zone and suffers wide-spread sleeping issues as a result. Or so I am told. Don't really know. But it is an interesting thought, isn't it? It seems plausible to me that natural light has a big effect on us. It does on every other dirty ape / animal out there, I think. And an hour of good sleep can be considerable, at the very least on the long run. As in.. life-long run.

19. Frank Sobotka

Frank Sobotka Chieftain

Forgot about Italy during its time during Mussolini?

20. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Deity

I dont think we have sleeping issues. it is true we have dinner at 9:00pm, 10:00pm or even 11:00pm which is weird compared to other countries, however we usually start working at 8:00am or even 9:00am and people who start working earlier sleep siesta. On the positive side, where i live, in western Spain now in summer at 11:00pm there is still some sunlight in the sky. So you have plenty of time to be at the beach. :)