1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pyre of Seraphic

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Domingo, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Domingo

Domingo El Desaparecido

In my most recent game as the Grigori I started with the Pyre of Seraphic in Midgar's fat cross. I was doing pretty well (the 3 closest Civs all dying to the Gargoyles/Skeletons, giving me tons of expansion space) up until the point when the Orcs and Goblins began to spawn. The first thing the nearest orcs did was pillage the Pyre of Seraphic, unleashing unstoppable fire elementals who instantly obliterated Midgar and abruptly ended my game.

Is there any way to prevent the Barbarians from pillaging the Pyre? It seems rather anti-thematic as well as being a really cheap way of losing early on.

2. El_Duderino

El_Duderino Chieftain

you could keep a warrior on it

3. Deon

Deon Lt. of Mordor

1 or 2 warriors with Shock I would be enough to ward the barbs off.
    They won't attack a tile with a fortified warrior, they will more likely try to attack the city/pillage nearby improvements..

4. heisenberg

heisenberg Lost in Erebus

errr... dont settle near it, and pillage it when u get the chance to for a GA :lol:
    in fact... i love pillaging it when its near someone else's city XD

5. Fafnir13

Fafnir13 Chieftain

And if you find it nearby after you've settled, guard it very carefully. I've had one game where I nearly lost my capital and secondary city to an elemental swarm.
    One other option is to settle directly on the pyre. Gets rid of the thing and doesn't spawn the elementals. Kind of a glitch, but at least it works. ;)

6. zup

zup Chieftain

And it gives you access to the mana resource, yet you don't have to waste a workable tile for a node. Does it still give golden age?

7. Fafnir13

Fafnir13 Chieftain

Probably not, given that it's not triggering the other bit of the script. Not that I've had that quest pop up for me in a long time. You actually need to get the quest in order to get the golden age, right?

8. mahazel

mahazel Chieftain

Another strategy: adept + life 1 + graveyard = angelic unit (host of something..?), then angelic unit + Pyre of Seraphic = powerfull fire element for you :)

9. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

settling on unique features is lame, I really hope that will be impossible in 0.34 . another problem to address would be that with barbarian world on, sometimes you get barb cities in unlikely places. I've had a city with an ancient tower in it, and another one with death mana ( probably spawned on the broken sepulcher I guess ) . this was with FF, but I don't think it's any different from FFH. correct me if I'm wrong ;)

10. ushram

ushram Balseraph puppet

Oh yeah you do lol ;)

11. Chimera

Chimera Chieftain

Settle near the pyre while being the clan of embers. Great fun seeing your enemy pillage it, and then all the fire elementals break towards their capital and take them out.

12. orangelex44

orangelex44 Partisan

I had a barb city spawn on the Pyre once. It was actually a good thing, since it couldn't be pillaged this way. Plus, free Fire mana once I captured the city!

13. Atnanor

Atnanor +2 Beer Affinity

The Pyre of Seraphic is kept lit by the burning corpses of angels.
    Thus the Pyre of Seraphic, like Seraph.

It should be demon unit plus pyre I guess, and of course you would need to be evil, cause I know there's a few demons you can get without being evil.

14. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

I personally don't think that the Pyre of the Seraphic unique feature was very well thought out. Sacrificing an angel to Bhall is an evil act and is definitely not something Basium would look favorably upon, but angels can't be captured and aren't easy to come by for anyone but the Mercurians. The only non-Mercurian angels are Brigit, Sphenor, and Hosts of the Einherjar--but they don't really count, as summoned einherjar have limited duration and thus cannot be sacrificed. True, you can get einherjar without duration from sanctifying graveyards, but that really doesn't seem good enough to justify the spell. Besides, I don't think you should have to use a good-sphere spell in order to get angels to sacrifice in evil rituals.

15. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

agreed about sacrificing angels, the pyre could do with a rework of its mechanic ;)