1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Q: City Sizes-Distance

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by paulmr1968, Nov 20, 2016.

1. paulmr1968

paulmr1968 Chieftain

I'm curious what City Size / Tile Distance most people are using for their Cities. I've tried spacing cities 7 tiles away in order to maximize eventual city size but I'm finding it difficult to grow those cities Tall. It seems building Tall an eventually having lots of districts within a city isn't optimal. I've had better results with cities building just 4 tiles away.

Please note your observations / strategies regarding Tile Distance between cities and how large you are growing each city. Please also note what difficulty level you are playing at.

Thank you.

2. TheXMassTeam

TheXMassTeam Chieftain

Hi :)

some district have spreading bonus to other cities, 6 hex and 9 with the good city state. So you have good reasons to put your cities closer than 7 tiles. I usually put 5 tiles, but a lot of people use a 4 tiles strategy.
    The only thing I don't know it's if the distance is calculated from the district to the city or from the city to the city.

edit : I'm playing king/emperor, largest map, wide strategy with the biggest population I can get in all cities. Wide is a strategy to win, population is a roleplay strategy.

3. Onii-chan

Onii-chan King

Well obviously having resources in range and fresh water still decides city placement a lot. But beyond that, closer together seems to be generally better in Civ 6. You can get more overlap from AoE effects (Industrial Zone/Entertainment Complex) and also just fit in more cities in your general starting location that way, which means more districts

4. TheGreatSleepyOne

TheGreatSleepyOne Chieftain

I would recommend 4 tiles as a rule for the core of your empire. From there on out, you can found/capture "garbage" cities.These garbage cities exist to provide gold to your empire and bases for your military to heal up. Only commercial hubs and harbors should be built in these cities.
    I tend to do this when I play as England. I try to establish a 6 city core with lots of overlapping Industrial Zones. Then, I use the production to build a wave of boats, settlers, and some units to establish colonies on other continents and take advantage of England's unique traits. Which lands I am able to get in this second wave of expansion determine my ultimate win condition from there. This strategy lends itself well to any win con. Lots of land means lots of artifacts. Colonies can serve as bases to purchase units to conquer the next continent. A compact industrial web is the go to strat for a science victory already. And colonies are great places to plop down holy sites for the religious victory.

5. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

It's best NOT to get locked into a specific X number of hexes no matter what. Blindly following any pattern results in key tiles not being able to be worked by any city; too much space between your outermost self built city and the AI's outermost city (your future city); your cities without freshwater, etc.

The game's minimum allowed city placement is extremely tight though if repeated; while the zero overlap is rather loose; a combination of "tight city placement" (1 hex beyond minimum allowed) and "loose city placement" (2 hexes beyond minimum allowed) adjusting to found the cities on fresh water when possible tend to work better.

qadams and Victoria like this.
  6. TheGreatSleepyOne

TheGreatSleepyOne Chieftain

I find that it is beneficial to the productive core my empire to build at minimum distance away even if it means sacrificing fresh water for some of the cities. Most of those cities are rarely going to ever work all of their land or build all of the districts.
    I don't recall who said this first: Not all of your cites needs to be a flourishing metropolis.

Victoria likes this.
  7. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

I wouldn'the always go the min, but 7 tiles is generally too much. aim for 4-5 tiles separation, but in a spot that makes sense (fresh water, resources, etc...) Also it'should good to remember that even if 2 cities are the min apart, if you don't settle another city past it, it still has a majority of tiles to itself, and generally speaking a city will never truly need more than ~20 usable tiles, even your capital. think of how long it will take you to actually make use of those extra tiles, and honestly the fact that you can maybe settle the city 1 turn sooner may actually help you more than to be able to use an extra tile in the outer ring 200 turns from now.

c4c6 likes this.
  8. assuredgrp

assuredgrp Chieftain

Some mod or other event has increased the minimum size from 4 to 5. I do not like 5 and cannot figure out how to change it. Any clues anyone?

9. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

There are no game events that change minimum city separation, so it must be a mod. Figure out what mod is doing that, and disable that mod.

10. Amrunril

Amrunril Emperor

I generally think of things not from the perspective of "How much land does this city need to be effective?" but rather "How many cities would it take to work this land effectively". Most often, I end up leaving a four or five tile gap, but they can often end up closer if rivers and coastlines get in the way or farther if the land in between isn't worth working.

11. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

There's is no golden rule. Settling at 4 hexes means the city gets settled faster, you can get extra housing from farms if need be but growing large cities in generally not what civ6 is about... why?... well the AI grows cities large and you will be trying to play them at their own game, you are much better of concentrating on production to out produce them.

I settle cities where they will do the best for me, production, amenities, district placement are all important. Whether that be 4,7 or 11 I really do not care but the further apart the more delay and the more vulnerable you are to things like an enemy settler sneaking between which the do like to do.

Everyone is different, there is no golden rule, play a few games and gat a feel

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    c4c6 likes this.
  12. empresskiova

empresskiova Warlord

I don't settle 4 tiles away (feels way to cramped mid-game), unless there is a little strip of land that is unusable anyways. But after 5 hexes, I say settle away. I have no issue with buying hexes if I need to expand outwards in the rare event I run out of tiles to work.

13. Nettronic

Nettronic Chieftain

Spread farther out when mountains or desert or water get in your way.

I normally do about 5-6 tile separation, but I like to build wonders and districts. 4 tiles would mean 18 tiles per city minus any districts or wonders that you want.
    on the other hand 4 tile separation means you arent getting cities that have a high enough pop to get 4 or more districts so no worries about that I guess.

caveat, I dont play on high difficulty levels.
    barbossa.jpg

14. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

I'd usually aim for around 5 tiles (so about 1 more than the min distance), but again, fresh water and resources/potential districts matter more to me than a strict limit. Generally speaking, I will usually focus on my first 3-4 cities, and essentially plan them as my "core" cities to develop. Anything after that I basically pay very little attention to, and just use them to help feed my main empire.

The exception is if I have a reason to pack things in closer, or space them out more. So if I'm playing as Germany or Japan, I will tend to pack cities in closer, so that they can share adjacencies. My last game as Germany I basically planned my cities in groups of about 3-4 where they would all build CH/Hanse to maximize adjacencies.

And sometimes when I'm building cities, if I've already planned some of my districts (ie. where my industrial zone will go), then new cities will go in places that can be sure to get some overlap. Usually makes sense to build a city one tile over if it means it will get the benefit from someone else's factory.

15. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

I tend to settle as wide as spacing will allow. As Russia on a TSL, that may mean 8-10. As a European TSL, or Japan, 4 or 5.

I'm particularly protective of my early cities' tiles. As the game goes on, I am less concerned about spacing.

16. unpossible251

unpossible251 Warlord

no Golden Rule. But here's some advice: with lots of grassland, sugar and rice, you will grow tall quickly. so spread to 5 or 6, or else you will cramp yourself late game. If your land is not so fertile, population will probably stutter arounf 7; even with 3 districts you wont feel particularly cramped right up to the late game.

17. Martin_K

Martin_K Chieftain

in my first few games, i built most cities at 4 tiles minimum distance. the rules for overlapping industry and entertainment districts (later in the game) also encouraged this (multiple factory/zoo boni stacked on top of each other).

devs removed the stacking in a later patch, so now i usually put them a bit further apart. about 5-6 tiles on average so each city gets to use the 2 inner rings for itself and the third ring is shared with its neighbors.

it depends a lot on geography and it's not a hard rule. if the new city will have better tiles if i place it at 4 or 6 or 7 distance, then that's where it gets founded.

sometimes i also put down filler cities just to block an area (so AI can't drop silly cities right next to my core). in that case, 6 distance is usually best (to block the maximum number of tiles)

also, laziness is an important factor. even if it may be more optimal to cram 20 cities onto a continent, it's a lot less tedious to space them further apart and only manage maybe 12 or so.