1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Qin too strong in Vanilla?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Bleys, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Bleys

Bleys Deity

I decided to try Qin, since I am now hooked on the MC slingshot and his traits are perfect for it (vanilla, IND/FIN), but whats going on with his UU? This thing is GODDLY! Monty decided to start a war without even bordering on me (he had to go through Mongolia, heh, nice continent I got eh) and I had my Iron being hooked up just as Machinery was finishing, and WHOA, that was about all she wrote. I whipped out 5 or 6 Chus (already had barracks up, since my plan was to take out KAAAAHHHHNNN!), and they just owned the 3 stacks of Jags Monty sent, and they were in the jungle even!

This guy is too strong. I know they changed him quite a bit, but honestly, I think he is totally broken in Vanilla.

2. ohjames

ohjames Warlord

People can sing all they want about Praets, but I think China has both of the two best leaders in Vanilla (mining/agri are fantastic starting techs and the UU is incredible, yes.) Chokonus are fantastic all-in-one city-busters, though a combined force of axemen and catapults is technically more efficient.

3. Bleys

Bleys Deity

Oh yeah, the techs, completely forgot those. One drawback, in my mind anyway, of Gandhi (my other fav leader in Vanilla, SPI/IND, for SEs) is Mysticism, I'drather have Ag or Wheel. With Mining and Ag you get near certain worker work, BW out of the gate as a first research, and likely no need to to do another worker tech right away, other than maybe AH. I mean, BW, Wheel, Pottery, and away we go, right? Slap down some cottages and, until you find some stone or marble, or have a pile of fish to catch, you're good to go.

4. DeaExMachina

DeaExMachina Warlord

I had a discussion just a few days ago in this forum on "The Endless Power of China". Vanilla, Warlords, BtS, China is a beast. The only real trouble is if you run into a horse heavy opponent, at this stage your Chos could very well be in trouble.

There UB is also meh, but their starting techs and traits are impressive.

5. Gliese 581

Gliese 581 Your average civ junkie

Yeah Qin used to be one of my favourites. The starting techs for the chinese is still unmatched by any other civ but that's about it now sadly.

6. BurN

BurN Prince

Hm, I remember trying this with Mao (phil/org). MC from oracle, GE bulb machinery & GP bulb theology. But it didn't quite work out for me, declared on gandhi who had longbows and horse archers. Maybe I shouldn't have waited for theology or maybe I should have waited for construction.

Anyways I do like China though. I love phil/org and mining/agri but I'm not impressed by the UU.

7. Bleys

Bleys Deity

The UU is goddly, man. Way overpowered, especially with the MC slingshot, and I just research Machinery, wipe out a couple neighbors with these CKNs, and thats that, no Construction or Swordsman needed at all. I am going to start playing Emperor with Qin. I am confident I can slingshot MC, chop/whip Forge, and use a lucky GE for Colossus, while building the Mids myself if I have stone (and despite what some people think, obsolete is right about the commonality of stone when playing an IND civ, it seems to be within 10 tiles of me start 9 out of 10 times)