1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Qin's paranoia

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by magicalsushi, Mar 1, 2007.

1. magicalsushi

magicalsushi Chieftain

[This post concerns the real leaderhead for Qin Shi Huang, leader of China. Prior to the current Warlords patch, it was swapped with that of Kublai Khan - some vanilla players may unaware of this, so I'm pointing it out to avoid confusion. I'm talking about the scary-looking guy with the pin in his hair, not the rotund smiling guy with the cool hat.]

When Qin greets you, he jerks his fist back in what looks like some kind of salute, then smiles and beckons you to speak. At any rate, that is how I used to interpret these actions. However, reading Qin's Civilopedia entry (and/or Wikipedia), I'm starting to wonder about the salute.

The guy was apparantly pretty paranoid towards the end of his life - perhaps the stern expression and the raised fist when he first sees you is because he thinks you're some kind of assassin. Then, when he realises you're just there to conduct diplomacy, he gives an exaggeratedly affable gesture to show that his initial reaction was a misunderstanding.

Did anyone else think along these lines? Maybe I'm reading too much into his greeting, but it always seemed oddly bipolar to me until I came up with this explanation.

2. Blaarg

Blaarg Chieftain

I also saw it as simply a greeting.

3. Atticus

Atticus Chieftain Retired Moderator

I thought he jokingly raises his fist to hit, and then let's you know "come on, I'm just kidding". That's why Kublai Khan was my favourite leader (I'm not yet used to thinking him as Qin, that gesture suits better Kublai Khan).

4. Holycannoli

Holycannoli Chieftain

I saw on a history channel program that he used to swallow specially-prepared mercury pills and it destroyed his sanity over time.

I also heard he's supposed buried in a massive tomb that's filled entirely with mercury, although that seems to be more myth than reality.

5. SwordofStriker

SwordofStriker Chieftain

Well honestly, I hadn't paid that much attention to it before. Very astute of you though. It would say a lot for the game designers if they put that feature in based on actual history.

6. Clovis

Clovis Charlemagne's Grandfather

Haven't even play against him yet!

7. Dominico

Dominico Chieftain

He is definately angry and not saluting. I noticed it too. He looks like he is about to smack you one then changes lol

Thats interesting you say he was paranoid, and very cool if they have put that in because of that aspect of his life. Interesting!

8. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Challenge accepted

yeah he thought that would make him immortal. :p

Qin was basically a 3th century BC version of Stalin. Interesting that firaxis put the gesture in the game (but they made a mess of it when they swapped it with Kublai's LH! Oh well, no body's perfect...)

9. gettingfat

gettingfat Chieftain

The mercury pills is only a contributing factor. Qin is one of the most complex historical figures probably ever documented. He has knocked out every opponent standing in his path and built up a revolutionary bureacratic system to allow him to exercise absolute power, but by doing so he essentially isolated himself from everybody. And after facing a number of attempts of assassination he has become even more and more guarded, and consequently more and more lonely. Imagine somebody who controls the largest empire on the Earth but feels like he exists alone, I guess everyone will lose his mind sooner or later.

10. magicalsushi

magicalsushi Chieftain

Yeah, likewise, I'm hoping it's a deliberate thing based on his real personality, since that'd be quite cool. I'm quite impressed by some of the leaderhead animations; there's a lot of depth to many of them if you look carefully. Some other favourites of mine are the insincere greetings of Stalin and Peter, and that great look of apoplectic scandal that Victoria does if you make her an offer she doesn't like. Then again, there are also some annoying ones, like that lame wave thing Roosevelt does.

11. aronnax

aronnax Let your spirit be free

Its very neat that Sid did his homework and mad each greeting a special unqine trait to its leader. I love to see monte's face when he burns up in furry and go AHHHHHHHH! Or the "you got it finger" you get from Hatty when you agree with her on something. Then there catherine slapping you over and over again

12. Dominico

Dominico Chieftain

Wait is this leader the guy in that film where they fire a load of arrows at the hero at the end and kill him. The king he goes to assassinate doesnt let anyone near him, and you have to stay 100 paces away or something. Is that the king represented? Damn it i forget the name of the film now... doh!

Hell just remembered the film is called HERO!!! Rubbish film but is that the legend of this king?

13. Ogedei_the_Mad

Ogedei_the_Mad Caffeinated Khagan

Yep, that's the one. Also thought "Hero" was crud, by the way. ;)

Interesting observation, magicalsushi. I've only noticed that now. :)