1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

QoL suggestions ( minor impact on the balance )

Discussion in 'General Balance' started by Gokudo01, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Gokudo01

Gokudo01 Chieftain

Hi Gazebo, you know I like your job so let's move the main event.

I think two things could be changed to improve our experience. Two things strike me after more than 1 year playing your mod.

It's sometimes, really hard to get some adjacency bonus for your farms. And second, village on continent and/or island map are really weaker than on Pangaea.

So I've got two requests.
    I - Add plantation in the adjacency game with farm, it would make easier to get the adjacency bonus.
    plantation count in the adjacency game but doesn't get any bonus from it. so a triangle with a plantation and two farms, would give +1 to both farms but nothing to plantation

II - The power of village is clearly underwhelming on map with water ( the more water, the weaker it is ) because you can't get as much as connected village that you can have on Pangaea moreover, you will be more likely to use sea trader instead of land traders which reduces the village potential even-more
    On Pangaea, villages can be super tiles when they are well-used, even before rationalism.

So here my proposition, give the 1p 1g bonus to village adjacent to coast tiles. It will bump greatly their usefulness on map with water.

That's all, I'm waiting for your comments.

PS : Is it possible to add forest with worker in civ 5 or it can't support it ?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  2. tu_79

tu_79 Warlord

Villages benefiting from sea traders was already requested, ages ago. It didn't make the cut. (It would need to be a coastal tile with an adjacent sea trade route, and the usual bonus from road/railroad, but can't remember if the answer was: a) too difficult for the AI, b) not worth the effort c) some tiles are better than others, or a mix).

The other is interesting, but I don't really agree. I see farm adjacency as a consolation price for not having enough resources in the area. Having a plantation already makes up for it.

Bananas is another question. A plantation food resource, kind of boring. Maybe bananas could benefit for having farms around, so you chopp around without regret.

3. Gokudo01

Gokudo01 Chieftain

I don't care if you can't have +2p +2 g on continent or island map but +1p +1g on coast would be enough. I don't think everything needs to be equal between land and water but it feels like the gap is too big right now for village. On pangaea, one good road and a nice internal trade route can give 1f +3 p +6 g + 1c tiles(2,3 or more) which is insane early one when you are fighting to get extra culture and extra gold.

4. Dawnpromise

Dawnpromise Chieftain

There's intended to be a trade-off between coastal and land-locked cities. Coast cities get bonus food and gold from ocean tiles and increased yields from naval trade routes (at least I believe they're supposed to be worth more then land routes normally). Meanwhile Land-locked cities have more terrain tiles to improve (villages and farm triangles) and caravan routes to buff the villages.

5. Strigvir

Strigvir Chieftain

Coastal trade routes do not give more yields compared to land ones.

6. Starrynite120

Starrynite120 Chieftain

I always play continents or small continents, ocassionally islands, never Pangaea, and I see nothing wrong with villages. They feel fine to me.

I also don't think an adjacency bonus on plantations is a good idea, as plantations are already good tiles and I don't feel a compensation is needed. Also, its not possible. There's another thread discussing this now.

vyyt likes this.
  7. Dawnpromise

Dawnpromise Chieftain

I remember in vanilla they were worth more. Since they do not have any 'hidden bonuses' like caravan's do they need a minor buff to compensate as if they're equal in value then there is no reason to use trade ships when caravans are cheaper and worth more in practice.

8. Strigvir

Strigvir Chieftain

1. Coastal TRs aren't locked to a single continent.
    2. They are harder to plunder.

With the corporations meta it's better to set up a franchise in the middle of nowhere to reap the corporations benefits, which you obviously can't do with land TRs alone.

9. CrazyG

CrazyG Warlord

This is wrong. In game right now I get 12 food for a coastal but 8 food for a land route, same cities.

10. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch

sea routes are 25% better IIRC.

11. CrazyG

CrazyG Warlord

The tooltip agrees with you. I also just discovered the tooltip explaining how trade gold is calculated, very useful.

12. StugLife

StugLife Chieftain

I personally wouldn´t mind seeing coastal villages buffed a little especially on archipelago maps. Could be bonus food (from fishing) and then some gold, culture, or production, but what if the village is both coastal and has road and/or land trade route going through it? Might prove too powerful. Maybe have the bonus require at least 3-5 adjacent coastal hexes?

13. Starrynite120

Starrynite120 Chieftain

Might as well not make the bonus then. A straight coastline has only 2 adjacent coast tiles. This wouldn't happen very often.

I'll say it again though, as someone who plays maps with a lot of coast, I don't thnk a buff is necessary. I still find villages well worth building.

14. Owlbebach

Owlbebach Warlord

Hey all!

I've recently noticed that player can declare war on a city state, then attack it, and then make peace the same turn. Its kinda weird, technically you can capture a sity state with 1 archer and 1 warrior without even taking damage, or kill all their units with one ranged unit. Also player can capture workers for free in the beginning of the game. It should probably be fixed, i'd say war with city-state should be 5 turns at least.

15. tu_79

tu_79 Warlord

You get bad reputation for this. CS will be wary of you.