Québec Provincial Election

My general impression is Dumont is much like Sarkozy, with his populism.

Two question for those in the know:

1 - If the PQ gets a minority, will they hold a referendum/popular consultation on separation?

2 - If the PLQ gets a minority (or a majority), will Harper call a federal election?

My answers:

1 - No

2 - Yes

1 - Likely not. However, if even at the federal level were to disillusion Dumont with autonomism, and to drive support for that option up...

2 - He likely will either way unless the polls start showing the PLC climbing back up.

I thought Harper passed a bill on fixed election dates. If so, that means he cannot call an election, an election can only be called before the fixed date by a vote of no confidence.

Wow, just looked at the CBC, the Liberals seem to have a pretty sizeable lead, a majority may even be possible (but doubtful). I'm guessing most of the results so far are on the west island and in the Outaouias (sp?) region.

Even more telling, the ADQ are in a strong second (despite being third in popular vote), not a banner night for the PQ.

As it stands right now, the Liberals are leading in 48, the ADQ in 43, PQ 30 (126 seats total). I never would have thought the ADQ wold do so well...!

Looks like we might be headed for the first quebec minority in over 100 years, IIRC...

I think it's 125 seats.

Now the ADQ is leading, still only third in popular vote. Must be some serious concentration of support they have.

Mind you, the Libs and PQ are "elected" in more seats.

Yeah, but WHOSE is debatable. The ADQ is getting a lot more vote than a little racist party like them deserve.

What do you mean, exactly, Oda?

Heh heh, 45-45-34 as we speak. "Premier Ministre Dumont" how does that sound? :lol:

CBC just officially prjected a minority gov't...no big surprise at this point, but still...wow!

That the ADQ is a demagogical party that makes its popularity off xenophobia (reasonable accomodations & Herouxville), homophobia (Boisclair-bashing ; even if Dumont officialy denounced it, the feeling has been consistently expressed), lies (the Concord Bridge "documents"), deforming of events, and that couldn't create a *workable* political plan if their election depended on it (which, fortunately for them, it never did) ; their numbers are totally disconnected from reality.

For crying out loud, one of their candidate went as far as saying Jews created wars just to enrich themselves. He was fired when that became common knowledge, granted, but that he was elected by his riding's party member to be their candidate on the first place shows how worthless that trash can party is.

Quebec might be in for some surreal times; at this point, it look slike they might pull it off.

Wow, Charest is trailing in his own riding...!

So anyone got any idea what the rent is like for appartments in the Ottawa region?

Or maybe Toronto. I hear it's more economically active than Montréal. I could be tempted with Vancouver, too ; it has my sort of weather. Plus I actually have a friends or two in that region already via forums

(I'm actually rather serious ; I'll have to settle down in my own place within the next year anyway, and while I love my family, I really don't have too many attachments in Québec to consider .)

Don't panic Oda. An ADQ government would be such a weak minority I seriously doubt that they could do too much damage.

Question, if the Libs don't have a late come from behind win, think Charest will step down? Perhaps he may run for the federal libs.

BTW rent and condos in Toronto are cheap right now. Buying a house on the other hand is massively expensive.

Not so much panicing as disgust. I've been sickened times and times again by my fellow Québecers the past year.

Plus, as I noted, I hear the economy's doing better in BC and ONT than here (Ok, in Alberta, too, but I'm NOT leaving Québec to go to Alberta). And to tell the truth, Vancouver has always attracted me.

And taking a long break from the whole "Country or not" crap might actually do me good.

Well Oda, looks like you may be spared an ADQ government after all, looks like the Libs have a lead that may hold.

Also looks like Charest will lose his seat. If all stays as is, would this be the first time in Canadian history that a first minister did not win their seat?

I don't think it passed into law yet.

Not surprising that Stevo put this oh so important fix to democracy aside to his own convenience.

Well Oda, looks like you may be spared an ADQ government after all, looks like the Libs have a lead that may hold.

Also looks like Charest will lose his seat. If all stays as is, would this be the first time in Canadian history that a first minister did not win their seat?

I think going to be a Liberal minority, with an ADQ opposition, although they PQ might squeak in.

IIRC, King might have lost his seat during an election.

Not surprising that Stevo put this oh so important fix to democracy aside to his own convenience.

Truely the mark of great leader ;) !

Another question: what will happen to the leaders?

Boisclair is finished, Charest might hang on without a seat, and Dumont is laughing all they way to National Assembly.

@Oda Nobunaga: why should you leave because of the election? Quebec is still Quebec regardless of the composition of the National Assembly. Just like any were else.

The election are mostly a symptom of everything that I've been getting sickened with in Québec. The disturbing level of power and weight anti-Montrealers are given, leaving to Montreal being left out in the cold times and times again despite that it is essential to the future of Québec; the xenophobia (Herouxville), the homophobia (blatant over Boisclair), the unending bullcrap over Yes or No, everything.

I've been getting disgusted at Québec for a while now. This has just confirmed many of my earlier feelings.

EDIT : At 22:20, CBC announce : John James Charest LOSE Sherbrooke.

Boisclair is finished, Charest might hang on without a seat, and Dumont is laughing all they way to National Assembly.

Despite holding on to power, this is a huge defeat for the Libs, I'm sure there will be pressure for Charest to pack it in.

The election are mostly a symptom of everything that I've been getting sickened with in Québec. The disturbing level of power and weight anti-Montrealers are given, leaving to Montreal being left out in the cold times and times again despite that it is essential to the future of Québec;

Now you know what it feels like to be a Torontonian. ;)

Maybe Montreal should think about separating from Quebec... :mischief:

j/k

Oh, so it's the same in Toronto? Hell, at least you guys get to be the provincial capital :p

And actually, I've said it before, I'll say it again. Montreal SHOULD secede from the rest of Québec.

Top Bottom