1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Qu01 (.5) No Buildings [3.17 + Solver's]

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by Quotey, Jun 28, 2008.

1. mystyfly

mystyfly Knight of Cydonia

I didn't look at the save, but from the report it doesn't look like we're a superpower so DOWing JC doesn't sound that good. Also, axes vs praets isn't that funny for us.

2. Quotey

Quotey Chieftain

Frankcor or any other lurkers, please take the save in Atropos' post and remove the Palace from Amsterdam. Weep softly while doing it.

myst- I think we could make peace before he can march a stack down. I will check if there is a stack waiting around Shangai. If you are still opposed to taking the city I have no problem with it and will let it alone until the Roman campaign.

3. mystyfly

I'm OOP until the 19th.

BTW having no palace means no espionage until we touch the slider. We can't even get spy slots :crazyeye:

4. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

Wouldn't removing the palace cause some problems in the game?

I would vote to keep, but if you want them removed, I can understand (a REAL no building game). :goodjob:

5. Quotey

Quotey Chieftain

The only problems a removed palace causes is heightened maintenence. I'm prtty set on the no buildings thing.

6. frankcor

frankcor Chieftain

I will pick the game up when I return home this evening (around 4 hours). I will remove the Palace, weep softly, then sit and gleefully watch you all suffer. <g>

7. frankcor

frankcor Chieftain

Here you go. You are now, truly without buildings.

Attached Files:

8. Quotey

Quotey Chieftain

Thanks frankcor! We lost 8gpt losing the palace and it will get worse.

Please play 15 turns from now on.

Turn 0 (137)

Ag, I ujst realised- we should have a settler or two ready. So I won't be declaring on JC.

Turn 1 (138)

Qin takes Shangai back.

We strike the Mother Lode near Amsterdam and get between 100 and 200 gold. I didn't bother working it our.

Turn 2 (139)

Don't declare on Rome like De Gaulle asks.

Turn 4 (141)

Now Mao asks us to declare. NO.

Turn 9 (146)

Bugger it. Can't declare on China when Rome asks. I have a settler going in Amsterdam.

Turn 13 (150)

CoL comes on, set sights to CS. Made little progress due to low prod- only got 3 cats built. Perhaps it is faster going on a whipping cycle? Is anyone good with whipping maths?

Attached Files:

9. Quotey

Quotey Chieftain

Quotey {just played}
    mystyfly SKIP until 19th
    DMOC (UP NOW)
    Atropos [on deck]
    Diamondeye SKIP until 19th

Build more cats. Maybe another settler. I hope that is instruction enough. :) But Civil Service will take a long time, can't see anything else being of use.

I've PMed slobberinbear about joining. DMOC or Atropos, will you be having a skip period too? :p

10. slobberinbear

slobberinbear Ursine Skald

"Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?"

Count me in.

11. mystyfly

I'm back and have a look at the save later, comments then. Settlers are for resettling those cities we raze, or am I wrong? The harsh variant we're having, then...

12. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

I believe I already mentioned my skip period somewhere in this thread, but I'll mention it again.

Away RIGHT NOW until August 9. That is the first day I will have access to a computer.

13. slobberinbear

I can take it if you like, since DMOC is away and Atropos had it before you, Quotey.

14. Atropos

Atropos Beware my geekhood

That seems the most logical.

15. slobberinbear

well then. GOT IT.

But first, sleep and rereading of the rules. Then playing & posting.

16. slobberinbear

I only played 8 turns, for reasons you will see shortly.

Some initial observations:

1. we're building a settler in Amsterdam while 2 under the happy cap.
    2. 86 turns (!) to Civil Service.
    3. Our only prayer of winning this game: big cities running lots of cottages. We really need to get Monarchy, but we can't backfill for it presently because we have NONE of the religious techs.
    4. DeGaulle, to our northwest, is on good cottage land and should be wiped out next.
    5. Mao is about to be obliterated. I'M GOING IN!

Turn 150 (inherited turn)

Feel our Dutch fury! We march into the Chinese heartland!

Turn 151

Catapult finishes in Utrecht, sending it to Beijing. Another Catapult teed up.

Whipped out the settler in Amsterdam. We need to fill in the land immediately so JC doesn't get it.

Mao gets peace with JC! More booty for us!

The Battle of Shanghai: An interesting conundrum -- with no barracks and no promotions, fighting a 20% culture city with one protective archer and a swordsman ... is it even worth it to batter the walls, or for that matter even to use the catapults? In the end, I decide to split the baby -- suiciding one catapult and letting the axes mop up.

Shanghai is smokin'!

(By the way, Mao has his iron hooked up. Which, ironically, is good for us, since he'll build melee units instead of archers!)

Turn 152

Advancing on Beijing!

Sending wounded axeman to The Hashish (err, "the Hague") to recover. Wounded barb axeman appears to the west of the Hague.

Settler from Amsterdam moving up, to settle near Beijing after it's razed. We want to block JC from expanding in our direction if possible.

Turn 153

JC stack moving around Mao's eastern borders, towards us. Praets and axes. I look at the diplo screen with him, but there's nothing I want to give him (currency, HBR) for his backfill techs.

Barb axeman approaching the Hague. I send worker into China to build road to Beijing Resettlement Area (the BRA).

Turn 154

the Siege of Beijing! cultural defenses reduced from 60% to 36%, with more catapults joining next turn!

JC makes peace with DeGaulle. JC now not at war with anyone ... *gulp* We may need Machinery ASAP.

Turn 155

Barb pillages mine near the Hague. Our healing axe from Shanghai will have to deal with him. Another axeman from Amsterdam (from settler whip overflow) coming to help.

But more war!

"Ve haf you surrounded! Drop your chopsticks, Commie boy!" Walls pounded some more.

Turn 156

The Assault of Beijing! What's that burning smell? It ain't crispy duck ...

(we lost 4 catapults and an axeman ... and the Shanghai stack ended up landing the deathblow. Time to build more catapults!). Settler moved up to Beijing area.

Minor dilemma ... wounded barb axeman about to pillage our elephants. I have 70% odds to defeat him with our wounded Shanghai war hero ... if he fails, I'll have to use our war booty to promote Serraseth (he's already a Woodsman II) to an Axeman to defend the Hague.

Victorious! The jumbos are saved!

Here I notice that Mao has a hidden city to the east, to JC's south. Marked it on the map.

Turn 157

Brennus asks us to cancel our deals with JC. "Let me think about that for a nanosecond ... HELL NO!"

I decide to end my turn here, as this is a logical stopping point. We must discuss the settlement of our next city. The computer's suggestion isn't horrible, as we get to settle on the hill and get lots of floodplains and calendar resources, and it's not too close to JC. The plains hill to the NE of the computer's ubiquitous blue circle may be better, as it gets the rice tile and more floodplains, but is closer to JC.

We also need to discuss the war. Our military is down to 1 catapult, 7 axes, 1 spear, and 1 elephant, with two more axes available near the Hague to join in the Chinese war. As I see it, we could sue for peace to reload our military and get another settler ready, or take him out now at the cost of lowering our power rating a bit more from the losses.

Mao will give us this for peace:

Oh, and a few of our units have promotions that I haven't used. I suggest that one of our axes get the medic promotion.

Attached Files:

17. slobberinbear

The roster:

Quotey {on deck}
    mystyfly SKIP until 19th
    DMOC (SKIP until 8/9)
    Slobberinbear (just played)
    Atropos [UP NOW]
    Diamondeye SKIP until 19th

18. mystyfly

As I posted, I'm back.

Nice razing. Too bad we lost so many cats... need to rebuild them. Peace treaty isn't good atm with the techs we get (don't trade for cheap techs like myst due to WFYABTA...) so probabely keep the war up until we get ABC.

19. slobberinbear

One more thing ... Beijing was the holy hindu city. JC is Hindu. =)

We need Machinery!!

Oh, and more workers too.

20. Quotey

Quotey Chieftain

Hm, good job. I would have built more millitary, but you got it done.

I think Atropos should go have a look-see at his other cities, but if you can't take them, take peace for... gold I guess. If he has nothing else get nothing.