Quality Loss for New Leaders?

Androrc the Orc

Emperor
How significant do you think the quality loss in regards to modded leaders is? As you know, we can't currently add 3D animated leaderheads, nor add sounds to those leaders. How important do you think this quality loss is?

On a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being a serious loss) ... zero

I'd have to agree with whoward69, I find they just slow up the whole Diplomacy, and would be quite happy without them tbh :)

I'm gonna go with 1 on this one. I don't care about 3D leaderheads, but I do like being talked to in a different language, even if sometimes that language is kinda broken/inaccurate.

But basically, you can make a mod with civ leaderheads with no sound and only a picture and it will bother pretty much no one.

Here's the thing: In Civ4, where animated leaderheads were addable, I would refrain from modding in Civs with badly made or not at all accurate leaderheads.

But, now that we have no choice in Civ5, I have gotten more than used to good quality 2D screens. In fact, a good piece of art is better than any 3D model.

That being said, I still think that having good art - icons, flags, 2D leaderhead screens, etc. - is as important as anything in a custom Civ, even for Civ5.

So on the topic of leaderheads? 1/10. Good art overall? 5/10.

That being said, I still think that having good art - icons, flags, 2D leaderhead screens, etc. - is as important as anything in a custom Civ, even for Civ5.

I have to agree with this; just look at the download count here and on the workshop. Civs with official looking icons and maps and a nice leader picture get downloaded a ton more than civs that don't. It's almost the single most important thing as often these good art civs don't even have civlopedia text and their abilities are just repeats. Meanwhile the ones with less than stellar art could have really unique and complex LUA abilities programmed in but they get completely ignored. And think about it, the map screen is seen once, if that, before the game; the DOM screen is seen once, yet, a high quality one is sort of needed to attract downloads.

As for the original OP. Sure I, and everyone else, would love to be able to add 3D ones, but since we can't and no other mod has one, I feel everyone has sort of just accepted this and now you really have to try to make a high quality 2D one. It would be really nice if Firaxis let us add sounds without replacing a leader, though.

ITT: "wat is granny format how we use"

I understand the point, but not everyone is capable of producing the artwork when it comes to the diplo screens, myself included.

Not only that, but I've progressively found diplo screens to be an irritation at times - especially if you have many civs in the game. Alert me that a leader wishes to discuss something, fine, but umpteen screens in a row letting me know how dandy it is that I'm friends with such-and-such...

In that situation, a fitting CiVesque leader screen leaves me a bit cold.

Top Bottom