QUATRONIA Diplomacy Discussion

Trystero

Deity
I've put together a brief message of greetings to Team Quatronia, and would like your opinions. My intent is to offer them Open Borders immediately upon sending this message:

Hail and well met!

The Sirian people extend warmest greetings to the peoples of Quatronia. Our exploration vessel Voyager spotted a vessel of the Quatronian empire, the Rio Grande, in the eastern reaches of the known world, and hurried the news to our high council. The entire Sirian nation celebrated the news of our meeting. Truly the stars shine brightly upon us!

We hope our greeting finds the Quatronian empire doing well. Our friends the AMAZON, who reside to the north of Rio Grande’s current location, have impressed us with stories of the wonders of Quatronia and the just and fair Quatronian people. We therefore offer any Quatronia vessels safe harbor within our open Sirian borders, and their crews the hospitality of the Sirian people.

We are currently organizing our high council to send a more formal greeting, for we feel we have much to discuss, and we hope to bring our two great nations closer together. Please feel free to send all diplomatic correspondence to sirius.mtdg@gmail.com. I will be serving, at least temporarily, as the diplomatic liaison between our great empires. We look forward to hearing from you.

Respectfully yours,

Trystero

Edit: Since we want to include Quatronia in our trade Alliance with AMAZON, I sent this message off quickly. Sorry if this seems presumptuous of me, but after reading over the Merlot and AMAZON diplomacy discussions I was convinced that was there was nothing particularly controversial in the correspondence. I basically said hello, told them AMAZON is to the north of their WB (they'll find this our for themselves shortly, and they are already communicating with AMAZON), and offered open borders, which has little real effect at this point and we've offer to Merlot. As Grant mentioned with the Merlot diplomacy, I thought a quicker initial correspondence would make a better impression.

For what it's worth, you can subscribe without posting, in the "Thread Tools" menu. Not that I care which way you do it, just pointing it out. My post before was partly motivated by wanting to get this onto my subscribed list too if I'm to be perfectly honest :)

Awesome. I'm glad we've finally met them, hopefully we'll be able to get direct word about the status of our tech alliance. I'm a bit surprised that we haven't heard anything final yet.

I just noticed and posted a new message from AMAZON in our team mail account. They indicate Quatronia have agreed to join the ETTA, and are trying to convince CDZ (who have IW) to join.

We have received a reply from Quatronia:

Spoiler :
Dear Trystero:

Our people are very glad to have finally met yours. We can finally communicate directly with our allies in the ETTT. The Amazon have also told us of the exploits of the Sirian people, particularly how you researched alphabet before we even started on it. Sirius is truly the brightest nation of all.

Our nation meeting yours has been a milestone in our exploratory journeys; we have now made contact with all civilizations. We have explored extensively and are happy to answer any questions you might have about other teams.

Our island possesses silver, wheat and spices in abundance, we are curious as to the resources you possess that we might be able to trade in the future.

In regards to the development of the ETTT, we have just finished researching archery and would like to trade it to you for mathematics as per the ETTT so we can start on calendar. As you may or may not know, we have offered CDZ, who lie south of Merlot and east of us, membership into the treaty. We are glad to report that they have accepted. They will bring iron working with them.

We are happy to accept your offer of open borders and to reciprocate the offer. We have another workboat, the Ganges, whose explorers were disappointed they did not get to be the first to meet your nation, as they are within sight of your borders.

On a completely different topic, as an amateur astronomer, I am looking forward to seeing what you decide to name your cities.

Cordially yours,
CharlemagneXLII

As AMAZON informed us, they have signed on to the ETTT and have brought CDZ into it as well. They have accepted Open Borders and offered us Archery. I will offer them, and AMAZON Mathematics in game per the terms of the ETTT. We should confirm with AMAZON that CDZ have agreed to the terms of the ETTT and offer them techs as well.

Would anyone like to be the CDZ diplomat? I can do it if no else is willing, but would prefer to have someone else handle this. I can put together a brief greeting message in the meantime. I will do so and post it shortly.

Would anyone like to be the CDZ diplomat? I can do it if no else is willing, but would prefer to have someone else handle this. I can put together a brief greeting message in the meantime. I will do so and post it shortly.

I'll raise the question in the diplomats thread. There's worse things than having the same person communicating with Quatronia and CDZ, as we have a similar relationship with them, but you are doing a lot already and I don't want you to get burned out.

I wanted as much to give others a chance to participate, if they so choose, as to spread the work around. Diplomacy with minor trading partners shouldn't be too much work. I can do both CDZ and Quatronia, if that's easiest. You have the most involved diplomacy job at this point.

I have composed a reply to the Quatronians:

Dear CharlemagneXLII ,

Thank you for your response to our initial greeting. We learned from The Amazon, shortly after we dispatched our messenger, that you had agreed to the terms of the ETTT. We are most pleased that our great nations will be brought closer together through trade, and will be able to advance more rapidly through a more guided use of our research efforts.

We also thank you for your offer to share the knowledge you have gained through exploration, and that of your resources. We have surmised that each nation on our world was founded on an island between the arms of a great star-shaped continent. Furthermore, we have guessed that the creator bestowed upon each great nation resources unique to its homeland. No doubt this was with the hope that all of the creator’s peoples would work together to become great. Our island contains gold, silk, and fish. We’ve noted that other resources, such as clams, appeared to be distributed symmetrically around the star. This is yet another example of the creator’s grand design.

We have also discovered that although we may venture off our home island, and we may exchange knowledge with you, we are unable to trade resources until we master the use of the stars to navigate.

With regards to the ETTT itself: We will gladly and freely provide you with the technology you request, and have already offered you Mathematics in-game. We feel it best that these exchanges be made as gifts rather than requests or trades, so that the identity of the trading partners will not be completely obvious to those outside our alliance. We realize this is somewhat complicated and of dubious effectiveness, but would rather rely on discretion in these matters. Regardless, we are extremely grateful for your offer of Archery, and look forward to receiving this knowledge from you. We feel that we should shortly convene a council of the ETTT members so that we can best organize our research efforts. Nevertheless, we agree that for the present researching Calendar is a worthwhile endeavor. Our efforts our currently focused on establishing a Currency.

We were also extremely pleased to hear that you have managed to bring CDZ into our alliance. We have just encountered one of their vessels, and have dispatched an envoy to greet them. Once we have established diplomatic ties with them, we will begin a technology exchange program.

Finally, I am happy to announce that our high council has formally installed me as our diplomatic envoy to the Quatronian people. I look forward to long, fruitful alliance between our great nations. We were also glad to hear of your interest in the stars and hope in the future we may invite you to our Sirian observatories to gaze upon our namesake.

With warmest regards,

Trystero, Sirian Diplomat

Does this look OK to everyone? Sorry to barrage you with a bunch of diplomacy, but I feel it's best to get these things settled quickly.

We have also discovered that although we may venture off our home island, and we may exchange knowledge with you, we are unable to trade resources until we master the use of the stars to navigate.

Or until someone decides to move their capital. It's certainly tempting, as being the ones to move means you can trade with everyone.

Still, we'd likely get more than most out of leaving our beaurocratic capital where it is, and maybe with the ridiculous tech rate we'll have (particularly with this 4 team alliance) we might get to astronomy before we'd get around to moving the capital anyway.

In either case I'm not particularly suggesting you change what you've written, just babbling as I usually do. What you've written looks good to me (both this bit and the rest of it).

A new message received from Quatronia:

Dear Trystero:

Thank you for your speedy reply, and I apologize if our replies are not quite as speedy as yours.

In regards to the lack of trade before astronomy, our team has come to the same conclusion as yours.

We will look to gift technology from now on, it is more efficient that way. We have received IW from CDZ, and gave them about 6 technologies in return. They are no doubt quite pleased to be in the alliance. Iron working will be on its way to you shortly, if it hasn't reached you by the time this message does.

We have discovered iron in the middle of our island, and have guessed that you will soon make the same discovery on your island.

Now, to some unpleasant business. Our neighbours to the northwest, the Mavericks, have been hounding us with tech trade offers. If you recall, they have been left out of the ETTT. At first they offered us monotheism for techs totaling twice the worth of monotheism, then they offered monotheism for everything we have. In a bizarre reversal, they then offered monotheism for animal husbandry, and we politely declined the offer, having received mono from Amazon. They have now offered to trade Metal Casting, but we have come to the agreement that it is not worth going outside of the ETTT to research, and will not be requesting permission to do so.

CDZ is currently researching Metal Casting, but in the meantime, we are a bit concerned about any potential Maverick aggression from triremes once they realize they are being left behind; if you get in trouble with any triremes let us know and we will do what we can to help.

We also plan to prevent Merlot, the other team left out, from making contact with Mavericks, since our cultural borders might stop their workboat. If that doesn't, our galley will. Just be aware that they have a galley north of their homeland, near Amazon.

Sincerely,
CharlemagneXLII

No. I was wondering if we are considering being drawn to a skirmish for someone that doesn't even have a military agreement with us.

Q appears to be pulling us into a military compromise with Mavericks and Merlot as scapegoats.

Top Bottom