1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quattromaster's Gauntlet Event

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Methos, Jan 14, 2008.

1. FiveAces

FiveAces Emperor

Ok now I'm :confused: ... Methos said you had to have BTS, implying that you can't fulfill all the Elite QM requirements if you only have Vanilla/Warlords... so why the need for a separate division?

2. KMadCandy

KMadCandy giggling permanoob

:rolleyes: don't even try to pretend you expected anything less from us! *giggle*

3. Methos

Methos HoF Quattromaster Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

The current Quattromaster has criteria that can be met with someone who only owns vanilla. When warlords came along, rather than modifying the QM to require warlords content, the content was instead added as a "bonus" to events. For instance, someone with vanilla could only play a possible 18 civs and LoN had a requirement of 18 civs. Warlords had a total of 24 civs, so therefore someone with warlords would have an additional "bonus" of 6 civs. The QM at that time was left so that someone with only vanilla could still earn their QM.

The elite division, or "All Expansions" division, has a requirement in the LoN event of 34 civs. The only way to meet that requirement with a valid submission is if you own BTS. Warlords has only 24, so bts is required. Same with the mapquest event, as some of the maps required are bts maps, therefore requiring bts.

Our main reason is we understand that if we altered the current QM to require the new requirements, every current QM would lose their title. There isn't a single player who meets even the lowest "elite level". Players spent a lot of time earning their title, so it would be very disrespectful of us just to take it away.

4. FiveAces

FiveAces Emperor

Methos thanks for the reply. I'm still not 100% sure since Denniz's post said the "Elite levels" will have a Vanilla/Warlords division. To put it straightforward, if I want to be an Elite Quattromaster, do I need to have BTS, or is it possible to be an "Elite Quattromaster, Vanilla/Warlords division"?

5. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

I must admit, I'm confused as well.

Is the elite QM just the normal QM with BtS added maps, victories and leaders or is it something different, requiring harder game submissions (or less cheese) the details of which would be posted at a later date? I was assuming something different but Methos' last post it seems it is the former, or am I not reading the post right?

I'm not bothered either way, just want to get my little mind around what I need to do to qualify.

6. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

I am sorry for the confusion. We are still working some of this out so sometimes we get out of sync. :blush:

There will be two Quattromasters Challenges. "Quattromasters" is the one everyone is used to. It has two divisions as you see it now. "Elite Quattromasters" will be a second, new challenge. It will also have two divisions. We have the different divisions so people without BTS can compete.

Quattromasters:
    • Vanilla+Warlords Division
    • All Expansions Division

Elite Quattromasters:
    • Vanilla+Warlords Division
    • All Expansions Division

7. FiveAces

FiveAces Emperor

Clears everything up. Thanks and I'll be eagerly awaiting the rollout of the new Elite QM Challenge.

8. kovacsflo

kovacsflo scientist

I'm surprised. So being an Elite QM will be available without the 2 new victory types? Anyway since SS colony and space race needs practically the same strategy (waiting after lunch is for monkeys:)), only AP victory needs something new in thinking.

It wasn't mentioned, but I thought Elite QM as a challenge with higher requirements, for example, at least 50 QM points per an Elite QM sub-event or just stronger difficulties allowed for use or something.

Now Elite QM is even more darker to me when it wasn't even mentioned!

Flóri

9. Ozbenno

OK, that clears everything up, thanks Denniz. Will wait somewhat patiently for the new requirements to be finalized.

10. Thrallia

Thrallia Prodigal Staffer GOTM Staff

you know you're just trying to suck me back into the HOF :)

Hopefully I'll have time soon to start playing gauntlets again...I've been so busy learning the ropes in the GOTM, and in school, I haven't even played but about 100 turns of Civ in the past month :eek:

11. Shadondriel

Shadondriel Freak

Hum, I would really like to see some kind of competition implemented on top of what you are planning, like that all slots have to be ranked games.
    So games ranked #11-90 can't be enough to fill up all the slots with cheesy games and be called "elite".
    Elite, the best of the best, really misses is point, if low ranked games are enough to get be called elite. (Frankly there are still enough rank #2 to #10 spots unfilled, would be nice to see competition spark everywhere)

Could also be that that's why I'm not trying to be a QM soon, I rather kick some other games of a spot, if I can, than just submit games that nobody cares about.

12. shyuhe

shyuhe Deity

That's what gauntlet games are for :) Best opportunity to knock off your competitors.

13. Duelingground

Duelingground AKA Gandalftheredskin

Or, assuming you meant launch, for spamming population. :)

14. BLubmuz

BLubmuz HoF Quattromaster

I supposed something like this.
    What i cannot suppose is what is required to be "elite"
    I consider elite, say the top 10 in rank, they are definitely top players.

Pity Moonsinger doesn't care to gain the QM status (hey Moonsinger what are you waiting?), i consider her a top player, together with other people not even appearing in the HoF. But this is another topic.

15. pholtz

pholtz King

I really like something like this. Suppose you have a gauntlet and it is apparent from the forum discussion that 20 people are attempting it. Four people manage to submit an entry. Now the fourth position is going to have a very bad score, even though he is in the top 20 % considering that he managed to complete the game at all. so having a lower limit for 2nd place, say 90 %, 3rd place, say 80% etc. sounds like a good idea. Of course if the normal scoring would be above this limit, normal scoring would apply.

16. Shadondriel

Shadondriel Freak

Once they have a nice gauntlet game, they can't be knocked off, same with all other games. They might decrease a little in points, but that's it. Somebody would have to submit a game that is finished 200 turns earlier to really knock somebody off in a way that is even noticable.

17. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

My only comment on gauntlets is that majors seem too hard. Are you going to toss an occasional "easy" one out so that mere mortals who put the devotion to filling in every slot won't be that one game short of a QM?

18. Ozbenno

This month's gauntlet (g-major20) is on Warlords difficulty, so is an easy one!

19. FiveAces

FiveAces Emperor

The current one is easy - Warlord level Time. Vanilla AI will never build the ship then so you can get a (low-scoring) win just by choosing peaceful opponents and pressing enter 660 times.

20. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

oh... :blush:

Well, the other ones I've looked at have looked hard.. :crazyeye: