Queen Elizabeth class aircraft carrier

imperialman

Admiral
The Queen Elizabeth class is a two-ship class of aircraft carrier being built for the Royal Navy. HMS Queen Elizabeth is expected to enter service in late 2015 and HMS Prince of Wales in 2018. Isn't it such a great looking design? The total offensive air system (fighter-bombers) complement will be similar to the Nimitz class (around 30-40 not including support or other aircraft). The first ship is halfway through construction with work on the other to begin late this year or early next year.

Large Image:
Spoiler :

Just out of curiosity, why the preference with British carriers for the takeoff ramps?

If I was in charge of the MoD I would scrap the entire Royal Navy to allow space on the budget to build a carrier bigger than whatever is the American's biggest.

Not because I know that's what British people would like, thats just not how they think, but I know the American's would be pissed.

Just out of curiosity, why the preference with British carriers for the takeoff ramps?

The reasoning I think is that a carrier operating Short Take Off and Vertical/Rolling Landing aircraft could dispense with the costly steam catapults and arrestor gear of a conventional carrier. This would also take advantage of the UK experience in STOVL technology. But the carrier class is designed to be adaptable and have the ramp removed and catapults fitted should the UK wish to change aircraft type or format, back in 2009, speculation was mounting that the UK may drop the F-35B for the F-35C model, which would mean the carriers being built to operate conventional take off and landing aircraft with EM catapults but it now looks like they'll stick with the ramps. They are to be initially be adapted for STOVL operations but once the F-35 is out of service they'll retain the ability to use other aircraft.

If I was in charge of the MoD I would scrap the entire Royal Navy to allow space on the budget to build a carrier bigger than whatever is the American's biggest.

Not because I know that's what British people would like, thats just not how they think, but I know the American's would be pissed.

Weren't we discussing about nuclear submarines and the British budget early this year?

Rule Britiania!

But why don't they give them some cool names like they used to do? Invincible or Dauntless for an example.

Rule Britiania!

But why don't they give them some cool names like they used to do? Invincible or Dauntless for an example.

HMS Dreadnought would be nice but Invincible is still in commission and Dauntless was given to a new destroyer launched last year, actually quite a formidable ship (Dauntless and her class) able to monitor air traffic over much of Europe.

How about The HMS Frank Lampard

And why the need for these? Future war with Argentina? :)

You're absolutely right, because the chance of war with Argentina is small the Royal Navy should become a coastal defence force with no ability to project power.

Maybe this will explain at least partly why people believe we need an effective navy. http://www.henryjacksonsociety.org/stories.asp?id=279

Perhaps the following reasons may explain why we need them...

* They provide crucial platforms for air strikes when the theatre of war is otherwise out of range or for humanitarian aid to be delivered in remote areas via their air force.

* They are necessary if we are to avoid lagging behind other major naval forces around the world

* We are an island nation. The navy of Nelson should not be allowed to dwindle into irrelevance. Carriers are essentially a very large type of insurance, enabling the government to deal with any situation in that context.

Damn Brits ! Ze Görman Nävy should bild sum cärriers of zeir oun.

Why they'd name the Carriers after either of the Elizabeths is a puzzle to me.

As odd as it sounds these ships are named after previous ships of the same name which means they're not directly named after a person but they're named after previous fighting ships to carry on the tradition.

I there no Henry VIII ? If I'm not mistaken he more or less created the Royal Navy.

I there no Henry VIII ? If I'm not mistaken he more or less created the Royal Navy.

He's more just an English monarch, while Elizabeth the 1st, while being an English monarch, is quite respected UK wide. It is the British Royal Navy since it merged with the Scots Navy in 1707 after all.

These ships are wonderful. The downside is that financing their equipment, operation and deployment is going to be anything but easy. The Admiralty are being consistent and focused on this one though, which will make public support easier to acquire.

It's good to see that Britain maintains a firm commitment to her responsibilities, which is demonstrated by the level of investment in our navy. If we maintain our trident fleet as well then all British citizens will be able to take pride that our country is pulling its weight.

Hmm. It looks quite a bit smaller than the Nimitz.
Well, Alfred the Great of Wessex created the first English navy to fight the Vikings.

It looks like a tremendous waste of money.

As odd as it sounds these ships are named after previous ships of the same name which means they're not directly named after a person but they're named after previous fighting ships to carry on the tradition.
That makes a lot more sense.

Top Bottom