Queen Elizabeth II's health

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly. I'm not even sure I understand what you say as I have a very low level of knowledge about British royal History, my teaching being more focused on the French case. Are you saying that royals are only marrying with other royals? I thought some were picking husbands and spouses among the aristocracy in general.
Yes, over the course of the Medieval period, European monarchs and their heirs develop a strong preference for consorts of royal blood, and from about the 16th century onwards this becomes an almost exclusive pattern. France follows this pretty closesly: every single Bourbon monarch took a royal wife, and the earlier Capetian houses show a strong preference in that direction.

Originally this represented a shift in the priorities of European monarchs from manging relations with major vassals to managing relations with external allies, but at some point it becomes a sort of taboo, with the result that almost every European royal in 1900 traces most of their ancestors to the same few hundred people circa 1500.

Yes, over the course of the Medieval period, European monarchs and their heirs develop a strong preference for consorts of royal blood, and from about the 16th century onwards this becomes an almost exclusive pattern. France follows this pretty closesly: every single Bourbon monarch took a royal wife, and the earlier Capetian houses show a strong preference in that direction.

Originally this represented a shift in the priorities of European monarchs from manging relations with major vassals to managing relations with external allies, but at some point it becomes a sort of taboo, with the result that almost every European royal in 1900 traces most of their ancestors to the same few hundred people circa 1500.
Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother was the first actually British person to marry into the Royal Family in centuries.

It's funny how many world leaders of non-German countries were ethnically German, at least agnatically
Paul Kruger, Andries Pretorius, Marthinus Wessel Pretorius, Donald Trump, Dwight Eisenhower, all the British monarchs of the past several centuries, most other Royal famlies, etc...

Moderator Action: I think that this thread has had enough, again. Thread closed.

Even people who don't believe in Him still have a belief about him, namely, their belief is that He does not exist.
Some are believers, some don't know
Some are lost, they're lost and alone
Some are deceivers, their souls been sold
For the love, for the love of strange medicine

Steve Perry
Using the word "believe" does not always connote religious thinking. "I believe it will rain tomorrow." "Donald Trump believes he won the 2020 election." Not believing, accepting, thinking, knowing, etc. that Jesus is the Son of God, are not necessarily religious holdings. Now if a Buddhist were to say "I do not believe in Jesus." then one might say that such a statement was connected to their religious beliefs. Saying "Jesus was an ordinary man." or "Mary was not a virgin." or "The earth is a billion years old." are not religious statements. You see them as religious because they might contradict what you accept as religious Truth. Using language slight of hand to preserve the integrity of your beliefs regarding those who think differently can work well with those who agree with you. It certainly is unconvincing with others. The folks at Answers in Genesis are masters at this technique.

Now about music. Music is a powerful force in its own right and religions have been using it effectively for many centuries. Other folks also use it. It moves one emotionally and its power comes from the emotions it can generate. It is not a very good intellectual argument. For every Christian oriented video you can post, I could post one that isn't Christian and still speaks to truth. We have a whole thread for favorite music videos.

You posted your emotional Steve Perry video in response to my more intellectual framework for thinking about how God and religion are connected. Now, I would agree that for many God/Jesus is not an intellectual exercise but a wholly emotional and personal one. It is not something that can debated or rationalized; it must be experienced. In the end one's intellect is useless and one can only say: "I believe!" :)

@Arakhor Sorry, I was writing while you posted that.

@Uncle Paul If you wish to reply, send me a pm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom