1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

"Queendom"?

Discussion in 'Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn' started by ringwraith18, Dec 13, 2015.

1. ringwraith18

ringwraith18 Chieftain

A Kingdom that's ruled by a queen is still a kingdom...anyone who lives in the UK- a kingdom ruled by a queen - will know this.

2. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

In a patriarchal society yes, but it has not always been the case in all times and all nations countries.

3. ringwraith18

ringwraith18 Chieftain

A google search for "Queendom" returned a wikipedia article on a science fiction series. It's a term I've literally never heard before. Do you have any scholarly references on its use?

4. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

No I don't. Does this mod have female missionaries? They are there as a "what if" men weren't so horrible to women (mostly joking) throughout history.

5. MechatronicJazz

MechatronicJazz Warlord

Well, if we're going to use Wikipedia references: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/queendom

Besides, there have absolutely been monarchy-type governments ruled by women. Some, like the UK, still have men as the norm and only see queens as head of state under very specific circumstances. Others have actually been matriarchal. And I imagine there have been all kinds of hybrids since every culture has a slightly different idea of gender roles and inheritance. Is the "queendom" a commonplace word used to describe them? Not really. Does it serve its purpose in game by providing an extra little immersion for monarchies with female leaders? I think so. And it's a has a pretty intuitive meaning to it.

6. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus N E X U S

No, it doesn't.

I agree with the above...
    However, my mother-tongue is Hungarian and not English, so a word may sound good for a foreign ear like mine, but if that particular word does not exist...
    I know that Vokarya is very sensitive about words and expressions and already had a lot of work in these areas. If he doesn't want to change it, I think it is okay as it is :)

7. ringwraith18

ringwraith18 Chieftain

That's the crux here..."queendom" is such an abscure word, and the replies in this thread make me think it has more to do with third-wave feminism than it does with any semblance of reality. You may as well refer to democracies as "Bourgeois Tyranny".

8. Noyyau

Noyyau Privateer Captain

Actually the Hellenic missionary (Oracle) is a woman IIRC.

9. Combat Wombat

Combat Wombat Warlord

lol really complaining about Queendom? I like it if only for the variety it helps add to the dynamic civilization names.

10. youmakemefart

youmakemefart Warlord

Haha, yeah I am sure this forum is boiling over with militant third wave feminism, constantly emasculating kings and such...

Personally I am more offended by the word "abscure"...