Query - Purchasing new civs via Steam

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by TM Moot, Jan 14, 2011.

1. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

dont buy civs if you dont like the price
    whats problem?

2. TM Moot

TM Moot King

that's the problem!!

i want the civs but i don't like the price:crazyeye:

3. code9

code9 Warlord

The problem is we're not used to paying for civs, and the first thing that pops to my mind is "Why not just get a mod?".

4. cman2010

cman2010 King

exactly

5. Poke

Poke Warlord

They could make money selling hats for all the leaders

6. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Considering that the Warlords expansion pack was mostly a bunch of new civs and an overdue patch for almost full game price, its difficult to say this hasn't been going on already for a long time.

Wait for the Steam summer sale, buy whatever large pack of Civs for 75% off is available.

7. Poke

Poke Warlord

The extra stuff in Warlords might have debatable quality, but it does offer more then new civs (and leaders) and patches. It introduced unique units and buildings and added new leader traits, wonders, improvements, resources, and scenarios, as well as great generals and vassal states. All this is better value for money thank individual DLCs

8. Truthy

Truthy Chatbot

The problem is I don't like the price and I don't like the practice of selling off DLCs. I have explained my arguments already. Turn to the first page.

9. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

The problem is he wants stuff but doesn't want it enough to pay for it.

10. Solo4114

Solo4114 Prince

Save your money and wait for a "Game of the Year" edition which will include all of them plus whatever expansions.

Alternatively, wait for a sale. You said you want more civs, but you don't want to pay the money. Sounds to me like you shouldn't buy them, then. The price is the price, for the time being. You pay it, or you don't. If you are lukewarm on the price enough to start a thread here, you probably don't really want them that badly. So, wait for a sale or a bundled edition or whatever.

11. Lucky The Fox

Lucky The Fox Prince

Nebu may be overpriced, but I don't think the Spain/Inca pack is that expensive actually. 5(4,99)€, which makes it, say, 2€ a civ and 1€ for the scenario, or 1,5€ a civ and 2€ for the scenario, whichever way you want to splice it. With that pricing, Warlords would've cost 18-21€ for the civs and scenarios alone, which are obviously the most expensive part to develop because of the new graphics. Can't remember what I paid for Warlords, but it certainly wasn't that cheap.

12. cman2010

cman2010 King

exactly, also some of us are not so dumb as to wind up paying 150 for a game by buying every dlc there is.

13. sucksforyou112

sucksforyou112 Superman

I know that they have to make money, but if they sold them for $1 each, they would sell a heck of a lot more of them. and its not as if it costs anything to produce more of the DIGITAL COPIES for godssake.

14. cman2010

cman2010 King

agreed. If they were 1 buck I think a ton more people would buy them, it would also help if the AI's had more diverse personalitys they feel so bland now.

15. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

why are you so sure?
    if it were true, the price was 1$.

16. FidelZandro

FidelZandro Optimistic turtle

Although i'm not a fan of the principle, i.e. paying for extra goodies, it not too bad.
    First of all, it's not necessary to buy extra stuff to keep playing or be competitve as in some other games. It's just optional, an addition.
    Secondly, it's overpriced for what you get, but it still is only 5 bucks. That's a pack of cigarettes for me...
    I certainly hope they will not include them in the first real expansion. if firaxis would do that, it would take every single reason to buy it in the first place. I would never ever buy a DLC if it turns out to be included in something that you will buy in a later stage anyway.
    I would even consider sending them hatemails for it :eek:

17. man-erg

man-erg Warlord

Browse around Steam, GOG, Gamersgate etc etc and you'll find that for the same cost (or less) there are dozens of games from the past few years, far better than Civ 5. eg Civ 4 complete. ;)

Anybody who pays that price for 1 civilization must have way more money than sense.

18. jtb1127

jtb1127 Deity

I know. Civilization is soon to become a freemium facebook game where you can't expand without having to pay small amounts of cash here and there that will eventually add up to tons and tons.
    I hate steam and I hate DLC!