Question about aggression

Phoenix Master

Chieftain
Is it wise to go to war very early in the game? I just beat Warlords on Noble with Mansa Musa of Mali with a space race victory. The world wonders I went for in the early game were Stonehenge, The Oracle, The Parthenon, and The Great Library (I got all of them accept The Oracle). Usually, if I am playing as a non-creative leader I try to build Stonehenge. I was playing on a continents map with only Catherine of Russia on the continent. My point is, I think sometimes I take too long to go to war. If my memory serves me well, I declared war on Catherine in the early part of the Medieval Era. In the early part of the game, I usually focus on peacefully growing my empire with my workers and research. I am looking for any good advice on how to wage war in the Ancient and Classical Eras.

Ermmm what is wrong with a 1000bc HA rush? What's the fascination with wonder spamming? On Noble you can beat most Ai to wonders as they don't start with workers and are pretty slow to build a second city.

You seem to be giving up early expansion and warfare because of wonders. Play the map and not the weakness of Ai on Noble early on. Focus on creating an economy through cottages and expanding to 7 or so cities by 1ad. 3-4 cities by 2000bc.

Just stop building wonders and build units. :) Of course, in reality it's not that simple. First step is to reach a military tech. HBR or construction come into mind, though certainly pure axe rushes work extremely well on lower levels (and sometimes even on highest level). Then find a way to produce enough units in the fastest possible way, meaning chops and whips. Then capture cities and possibly go for a 2nd target if you have plenty of units left. Oh and you should definitely be playing BtS, not Warlords.

ha...not sure why another thread was warranted for pretty much the same question, but all answer all the same. The point I was trying to make in the last thread is that you need to build a foundational understanding of this game. Civ IV is a complex game. It's not simply about slamming units into one another. Your first step should be understanding some basic mechanics that I don't think you have learned yet before you get into deeper aspects of early warfare. You can build from there. Honestly, once you learn a bit, you will roll over AIs early on Noble level.

And, yep, play BTS and get the BUG mod too. Once you set that up I recommend starting a Shadow game here...normal settings/maps/no huts/ no events.

Top Bottom