1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about AI amphibious attack ability

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unofficial Patches' started by jkp1187, Jul 1, 2008.

1. jkp1187

jkp1187 Unindicted Co-Conspirator

This is a save file from a current game. I'm posting this because I'm worried about the AI's ability to successfully launch a cross-sea invasion. I am using only 3.17 + Solver's 0.19.

The Hammurabi/Frederick Permanent Alliance declared war on me and launched an attack. H/F are threatening me with their navy from the northern sea. Note that they have several transports in the navy stack adjacent to Alexandria.

However, I have almost nothing in Alexandria -- a maceman, that's it. They should've just attacked immediately with whatever they had in the transports and either captured the city or burned it down. Instead, they did nothing. In subsequent turns, they just started cruising around the northern sea. They never even unloaded their army. The AI's best hope in a war against a strong human player is to take him by surprise, grab a city or two, then hopefully smash the human's counterattack stack and hope he sues for peace. Here, the AI have more or less thrown away their best chance.

http://files.filefront.com/AttackedCivBeyondSwordSave/;10880051;/fileinfo.html

2. Mowque

Mowque Hypermodernist

i wish the AI had been that stupid in my last game.....

3. TheDS

TheDS Regular Riot

There are plenty of times I've been DoWed by distant enemies and never see them attack, but the war lasts forever because they don't get any WW and I refuse to give them tribute when they haven't done much beyond make me worry.

I also occasionally see a rather impressive-sounding DoW come out of nowhere, accompanied by a landing from a single Galleon, the units on which couldn't hope to take a city. (A memorable one: two Galleons dumped units at a city where I was stockpiling to invade someone else. They died quickly, then didn't have proper amounts of tribute, so I just built some boats and counter-invaded - didn't even need the Destroyers I'd just gotten.)

The point is, the AI makes stupid invasions or none at all.