Question about AI and City States.

Mesodius

Warmonger
I've finally started playing Civ 5 yesterday and I noticed that you cannot declare a protection of a city state unless I am on Friendly or better terms with them. I always start out Neutral with them and it costs 250 gold or more to get Friendlier. However, I've seen the AI go around and Friend and Protect every single city state when they only have something like 50 gold.

How is it possible that they do this? Is this some sort of AI cheat?

Thanks, and soz if this has been discussed many times before.

Sorry another question.

Is there any way to tell which City States a Civ is protecting? I do not see it listed in the Diplomacy section.

i dont think you can get a list of all the city states under ai protection and i now notice that civs can go around pledging to protect city states or even defending city states when 1.) they dont have the required funds and 2.) the city state quests are almost all to destroy other city states when no city states have been destroyed throughout the game

i dont think you can get a list of all the city states under ai protection and i now notice that civs can go around pledging to protect city states or even defending city states when 1.) they dont have the required funds and 2.) the city state quests are almost all to destroy other city states when no city states have been destroyed throughout the game

I've noticed the thing about City State quests too. In my current game (my first game) every single quest is currently to destroy another City State. Unfortunately, since AI doesn't seem to need any funds to Declare Protection (meaning every city state is protected by almost every Civ I'm guessing), and there is no way to check which city states are protected by whom, it would only lead to a world war were I to attack one.

I hope I am wrong and I am missing something.

I've started playing again to check out the new patch and am wondering the same thing: is there anywhere to check if a city-state is being protected by a Civ? If not, this needs to be added to the UI in the next patch. There are plenty of obvious places in the UI to put this important info.

Can the AI pledge protection without being an ally?

The diplo screen shows city-state alliances, as do that city-state's home screen (when you click on em).

AFAIK, you can't see the reverse, ie: show me everyone that England is allied with right now. The only way to get that information is to catch it when it's first announced.

--If you DoW on a CS under protection, you will get a warning before you confirm the attack, so you can choose to back off. Unfortunately, no, there is no way to check ahead of time. So if you invest in building up an army just to take down a CS and find them under a friend's protection, oh well =/

--The AI and you can pledge to protect without being an ally.

Top Bottom