1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about AMD Mantle

Discussion in 'CivBE - Tech Support' started by CraigMak, Oct 23, 2014.

1. CraigMak

CraigMak The Borg

So, is Mantle for people with AMD processors or people with AMD graphics cards? If I have an Intel I7 paired with an AMD graphics card should I use mantle?

2. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

It's all about the graphics card.

You need a newer graphics card to be able to use Mantle.

3. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Moderator Action: Moved to Tech Support.

4. tokala

tokala Emperor

Though some of the newer AMD "APUs" (CPUs with fairly powerful integrated GPU) should also be able to use the mantle mode, and mantle should be most useful for those not-so-fast CPUs.

A i7 (and probably most modern i3,i5 and i7 CPUs) will already be so fast that mantle won't make much of a difference.

5. CraigMak

CraigMak The Borg

Alright, so mantle is not recommended for my machine then.

6. dewbak75

dewbak75 Chieftain

Even if you have an i7, using Mantle instead of DirectX 11 may still result in better performance. Yes, one of the big things Mantle can do is reduce CPU overhead, which is of greater help when a lower-spec cpu is holding back a higher-spec graphics chip(which I'm sure AMD loves, since their cpus aren't as powerful as Intel's fastest). But Mantle is still a new API, and so far has had only one really high-profile implementation so far, Battlefield 4, and that game was a buggy mess on release(in general, not specific to Mantle). It's entirely possible that the Firaxis team have learned to make better use of Mantle in ways that will benefit even a high-end system. Plus, don't you remember how Civ games tend to bog down in the late turns as the map gets filled with units & whatnot, and turns take forever? Why not cut down on as much cpu overhead as possible? :)

Hopefully someone out there will find a way to do some benchmarking of CivBE between DX11 and Mantle, I'm curious to see what the numbers show. But for now, I'd highly suggest giving Mantle a shot. Unless Firaxis messed up the Mantle code to make it run slower than DX11, there's no reason NOT to use it. I run an i7-4790K with a Radeon R9-290X and I'm playing CivBE with Mantle, so far I've got no complaints.

7. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

I was not able to successfully start game in Mantle mode with my 7730 Radeon laptop (that also has Intel 4000 integrated).

Using mantle exe just starts DX11 version of the game.

My suspicion is that game sees integrated intel never gives change Mantle to activate.

Any help?

8. chopstyx

chopstyx Warlord

I can't seem to start the game with the Mantel option. I have an R9 290 so I assume that's new enough to be compatible. I click the AMD option in Steam, but nothing happens.

Anyway, the game works fine for the other 'start game' option so that's good enough for now.

9. chopstyx

chopstyx Warlord

Updating to the latest AMD drivers sorted this out for me.

10. tokala

tokala Emperor

Seems you are entirely correct there.
    On a card that supports Mantle, you should always use it, and it will always run markedly better than the DX11 mode.

It should shine especially in Crossfire setups with its SFR mode, even for those otherwise fairly useless low-end asymmetrical Crossfire notebooks (APU+entry level dedicated GPU)

Some benches and analysis (sorry, apparently only German sites so far with decent benches looking into Mantle benefits):

http://www.planet3dnow.de/cms/12553...stuetzung-fuer-mantle-api/subpage-benchmarks/
    Spoiler :

http://www.computerbase.de/2014-10/civilization-beyond-earth-benchmarks-grafikkarten-mantle/

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Civil...PC-258505/News/Mantle-AMD-Benchmarks-1140241/

http://www.golem.de/news/civ-beyond...-geringere-latenz-mit-mantle-1410-110077.html

11. CivHunter

CivHunter Chieftain