1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about Armies

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by mayakovsky, Sep 30, 2006.

1. mayakovsky

mayakovsky Cosmic Slop

Hey, thought you guys could help me out a bit...

When you create an army, what do you fill it with? Regulars? Vets? Elite? If you do fill them with elite can you still get a new leader out of a victory?

Thanks in advance!:goodjob:

2. Little Corporal

Little Corporal fromage

You can't get a leader from army victories. I usually put used up(can't make more leaders) elites and veterans in there.

3. vmxa

vmxa Deity

Like so many things in this game, it depends. What type of units do you have at the time? Do they have an upgrade path and is it close to coming up?

If you need an army right now, then you fill it with what ever you can right now. It is good to always use the same unit types, especially if they are fast movers.

I like to put elites that have an *, as long as they are not close to being upgradable. I will not have regular units so that is not an issue, so vets are fine.

4. mayakovsky

mayakovsky Cosmic Slop

Thanks for the replies. So, an elite unit that has produced a leader(and gets the asterisk) can no longer produce another leader correct?

5. Son_Of_Dido

Son_Of_Dido Prince

Correct.

Unless, I think, if it's upgraded (i.e. Swordsman to Med. Infantry) it will go back down to veteran status, it CAN of course get promoted to elite again and then, I think, produce a leader again. I've never been so lucky, though :)

6. Raveren

Raveren Chieftain

I've filled a defence-purpose army with drafted MI conscripts once and that army was never attacked,even defending strategic cities, even having been wounded. So it served its purpouse well and cost me zero shields too:)
    The strange thing is, not one of the MI got promoted,as I used em to clear out redlined units too sometimes. Usually conscripts promote very easily,but evidentally not in armies:/

7. vmxa

vmxa Deity

You just have to war more. I have had units like a horse make a lead, then when it was knight make a leader and finally as a cav make a leader.

I know because I name then like this:
    Horse1, then it made Horse_Knight11 and finally Horse_K_Cav52. Just play some Always War and you will find the chances, as long as you do not add the unit to an army.

8. Son_Of_Dido

Son_Of_Dido Prince

Sir, I like the way you think. :D

9. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

I use whatever fast units I have at the moment for my armies. And usually only one kind, i.e. knight-army, cavalry-army. Units with the aforementioned asterisk, especially cavalry (end of upgrade chain) will surely find their spot in an army.

10. Kiowa

Kiowa Warlord

11. Abegweit

Abegweit Anarchist trader

Horse armies are pretty bad. Better swords or MDI if you don't have knights yet.

Of couse, if you don't have iron and are desperate for an army... I have been known to build archer armies on occasion but 2-1-x units should be avoided.

12. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

Yes Horse armies are bad. Desperate for an army, oh yes - better get that Heroic Epic as soon as possible.

:)

13. Abegweit

I don't remeber the last time I built theHE. It's just doesn't have a very good ROI, whether you rush build it or hand build it. It takes 48 elite wins to make up for a rush build. Hand-building means taking a productive city of the game. I'd rather have units.

I don't remember the last time I built it actually. Of course, I play for fast conquest. My games rarely get into the IA. Now if I played like vxma...

14. vmxa

vmxa Deity

Abegweit is correct about the HE. In a std game you can normally forget it. In an AW game, you will get the return, so make it when you can.

Same with a horse army. In a game with lots of war, go ahead and make one if that is the best unit you have at the time. You may make the choice more on what you have at hand.

IOW you may have swords and horse, but no swords in position to join the army, but you do have a couple of horse ready.

In a std game, you can wait for a better unit to fill the army, most of the time. In a map with a high map cost for research, getting to a better unit may take a lot of time. A cost of 650 or 550 will slow down your ability to get to a good unit in a war game, where no trades are allowed.

15. Ringo Kid

Ringo Kid Prince

I dont get what you mean by this?

16. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

^ Neither do I.

Unless he counts: 1 in 16 times 3.

1 in 16 getting the first leader (builds army, army victorious).
    1 in 16 getting the second leader (rush HE?).
    1 in 16 (should be 12 now).

Edit: apparently AutamatedTeller understood.

17. AutomatedTeller

AutomatedTeller Frequent poster

without HE, you get a leader every 16 elite wins. with it, you get it every 12. Rushing it requires the use of a leader, so if you don't build it, you can use that leader for an army. 48 elite wins later, you should have had 5 leaders (1 for the first army, 1 for the second army (that you didn't use to rush HE) and on average 3 more.

If you did rush HE, then 48 elite wins later, you should have gotten 4 more leaders, and are thus now breaking even.

If you plan on having a lot of war where you have a lot of elite wins, then go ahead and rush HE.

18. Ringo Kid

Ringo Kid Prince

Thanks, I see the point now.

But since the 1 in 12 or 1 in 16 are odds of getting a leader, and the rush is a certainty, it's not a cut and dried thing. Sometimes you get two leaders consecutively, and sometimes it seems they never show up. So maybe if getting leaders is part of your strategy, increasing your odds - for sure - by building the Heroic Epic is a better choice .

Although you could rush the Military Academy and build armies outright. Would'nt that be the best overall use of the leader if you are trying to get as many armies as you can?

19. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

Sorry for taking this sentence out of your post, just doing some quick math - The Heroic Epic equals (in terms of shields):

10 Impis, or
    10 Archers, or
    5 Longbowmen, or
    7 Swordsmen, or
    7 Horsemen, or
    3 Knights.

Some examples from the ancient/early medieval age.

20. Abegweit

Hand-building is better. I agree. If you expect the game to go to arties, it's probably worth it.

@AT. Thanks for the excellent explanation.