Question about Armies

Ringo Kid said:
Although you could rush the Military Academy and build armies outright. Would'nt that be the best overall use of the leader if you are trying to get as many armies as you can?

The MA is always useful option, but you have to have learned MT and have a victorious army. At the time you could first make the HE, you probably do not know MT.

HE is not a cut and dried choice. Again, if you are going to do a great deal of fighting, I would build it as soon as I could without a big drain. Often for me this means a leader rush as I will surely find myslef with a leader and not being able to make an army. This is due to the lack of the required number of towns.

As to the units issue, I would ignore the Knights as I would already have the HE, if I am building it. If not in the middle ages, I will have a site to crank it out in decent time, well usually anyway.

Definetly the early AA units are more valuable than the HE. This is for two reasons:
1- those larger numbers will make a difference
2- I do not need a lot of leaders that early in the game as I will not have enough towns to make many armies.

The thing is, you must always consider all the facets and go with what makes sense for this game at this time.

heroic epic gains in importance the farther down the tech tree you go. once you get tanks and their blitz move the number of elites gained will go way up and heroic will more quickly pay for itself.

Military academy is more controversial to me. indeed once i have tanks i will eventually reach a point where the number of armies i get is more limited by the number of tanks i can produce than anything else. at this point the 400sh cost of armies by way of MA starts looking a bit painful knowing that those shields could have been used to build 4 tanks.

There is no controvery about the MA, you built it. Now how many or if you use it to built an army, is another issue. The impact of the MA on armies in C3C is too great to ignore, period.

vmxa said:
The impact of the MA on armies in C3C is too great to ignore...

oh, does MA improve armies? i confuse it a lot with pentagon. i think those two small wonders hold a record for me for the most times i've consulted the pedia and still can't remember what does what :hmm:

Here is my understanding of armies:

Attack bonus with:
Neither Pentagon nor Military Academy: (6+6+6)/6 = +3
Pentagon only: (6+6+6+6)/6 = +4
Military Academy only: (6+6+6)/4 = +4 (rounded down)
Both Pentagon and Military Academy: (6+6+6+6)/4 = +6

With Pentagon and Military Academy, assuming you load 4 units of the same type into each army, the net result is to simply double their attack and defense stats, because the bonus is (4*X)/4 = +X Which makes a 4-Cavalry army into a 12/6/4 unit.

Movement is +1 to the slowest unit in the army.
Armies have a built in radar function and can see two squares.
Free pillaging.
Units specail ability is lost if not homongenous.
Armies are treated as if you had battlefield medicine for healing. They fully heal in a city with a barracks, just like a individual unit.
Att/def is calculated for the currently attacking or defending unit, so if it is a mix army, they change to reflect the one fighting at that time.

This is for C3C only. So you see that the MA adds an extra attack value to the units. This is not to be dismissed in tough games. Since you will usually have the Pentagon as well, the amry is much stronger.

MA improves your likelihood of getting armies from 1/16 to 1/12. Pentagon lets you build 4-unit armies.

A Crusader army loses it's special ability to build forts. Good protective force for a stack of Knights, though, since it can attack-defend and keep up with them.

Crusaders, what are they. I keep being told the AI finished Templar, but that is before I get into that age. Sid is so mean, won't let me have the fun stuff.

Abegweit said:
MA improves your likelihood of getting armies from 1/16 to 1/12. Pentagon lets you build 4-unit armies.

Is that right? I thought it was:

Heroic Epic (HE) increases your likelihood of getting leaders
Military Academy (MA) lets you build armies from shields, in a city

All armies (from leaders or MA) can hold 3 units, until you build the Pentagon.

Pentagon lets you load your armies with 4 units, whether they come
from leaders or MA.

vmxa said:
Crusaders, what are they. I keep being told the AI finished Templar, but that is before I get into that age. Sid is so mean, won't let me have the fun stuff.

Crusaders are like swordsmen, but they have a higher attack value, can build fortresses and barricades, and from the graphic, they like to wear dresses. They always remind me of Monty Python's Holy Grail movie. I think they should be renamed the "Knights who say Ni".

Thanks, but I was being facetious. I do know exactly what they are, but I just never get them. Someone has built the Templar before I even get close to the Chiv.

Back when I could get them at levels like Emperor or DG, I was not a big fan of them, but I like to disband them for shields once in a while. At least I can get AC's, if I am the only one with Ivory or nearly the only one.

It's good to do an army with UU? (by example: In medieval age, with Keshiks), because I have a leader wandering in one of my cities.

I would say defintely, UU's would make good armies, especially fast moving ones.

depends. doing an army of cossacks, for instance, probably doesn't make sense, since they have the blitz ability allready. An army of Mounted warriors, however, would rule the ancient age.

Cossacks armies are definitely good. This increases the attack to 9. MW armies are actually less useful since the attack only increases 33%, instead of 50% like a knight or cav. This is not to say that I wouldn't build 'em. I'd prefer to use MDI if that was an option though.

It's defensive armies which don't make sense, whether UUs or not. Hoplites or swiss mercs, for example.

Abegweit said:
It's defensive armies which don't make sense, whether UUs or not. Hoplites or swiss mercs, for example.

Hoplite armies are good for force protection, they can keep up with knights, and defend weakened units against counter atacks.

Or when you move a stack up to your objective, but have to wait a turn until you attack.

Also good for pillaging.

Knight armies don't need protection - and hoplites can't keep up with them anyway. Always make your armies out of your best offensive unit.

Nah, for pillaging, you want a fast unit, even if it's only horsemen. Then you get three pillages a turn instead of two. You chew up the infrastructure and disconnect luxuries and resources that much quicker.

Son_Of_Dido said:
Nah, for pillaging, you want a fast unit, even if it's only horsemen. Then you get three pillages a turn instead of two. You chew up the infrastructure and disconnect luxuries and resources that much quicker.

Makes sense. I'm using my outdated cav army to pillage & clean up redlined AIs. Guerilla armies are good for taking out AIs that are outside of the cities. And Tank armies to take down a city.

Top Bottom