1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about Armies

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by mayakovsky, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Ringo Kid

Ringo Kid Prince

I thought individual knights and hoplite armies would each have two moves? That's what I meant.

2. Abegweit

Abegweit Anarchist trader

This is true, but knight armies provide sufficient protection for the individual knights. A knight army will not be attacked. The extra movement point can be used for blitz - or not - as you please.

3. Ringo Kid

Ringo Kid Prince

Anyway you would obviously not make a Hoplite army when you have knights as the knights are faster and equally strong on defense. . It would be an ancient era thing.

4. DBear

DBear unbeliever

NEVER fill an army with leets, you want them to generate more leaders! Either use vets or a unit that has already generated the leader and CAN'T be upgraded (like a cav)

5. Ringo Kid

Ringo Kid Prince

Whats a leet?

6. Abegweit

It's a unit with one more exp point than a vet.

7. Norton II

Norton II Emperor

Defensive armies have occasionally been used to good effect, like in Theodora's AWS Excellent Adventure. But yes, you'll usually prefer an offensive army. One thing to note, however, is that the AI is a bit more likely to attack an army that only has a defense power of 1, especially when that army has lost a few HP. It's happened to me a couple of times with MW armies. Since I don't want to lose an army, I'd prefer swords to horses for AA armies.

8. Abegweit

A knight army is much better for pillaging than a musket army, although the latter obviously works.

You are right about 1-def units, though. In one Iros game, I build a pike army for pillaging, saving the MWs to duke it out with the AI's knights. I have built archer armies too. Sometimes you have no choice. It still sux.

9. Son_Of_Dido

Son_Of_Dido Prince

I did once build a defensive army of spearmen playing as the Danes in the Middle Ages conquest. Worked out rather well, as the Abbasid AI kept throwing units at it trying to retake Antioch from me. I had the leader in that city, and i was far away from moving Berserks to the town to fill it, so I just rush built three regular spearmen, put them in it. They held well and all ended up as elites in the army before very long.

Don't think I've ever made a defensive army other than that though.