1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about colonies and there names

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by tech9374, Oct 16, 2008.

1. tech9374

tech9374 Chieftain

Hi, i just discovered this colony feature today and its great! but one thing that makes in quite silly, i was playing as england i had settlements on all continents (playing giant earth map) and i found this feature selected queensland, port philip and new south wales (all my settlements in australia) to grant them independence, and it creates america.... then i granted independence to my colonies in south america and they became south africa lol...

so is there anyway to change the name/order if the colonies that i can create?

thanks

2. Willem

Willem Deity

Are you using a mod? AFAIK, the game just adds one of the unused civs so South Africa shouldn't even be possible.

3. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

The game usually uses an unused civ, though in XML you can choose a "prefered" civ, but it would still have to be an unused civ when you play the game.

The colony spawned is NEVER determined by where it is on a map (especially since this game is primarily designed for random maps... it treats the Earth map no differently when spawning colonies).

4. tech9374

tech9374 Chieftain

well im using the giant earth map, and i dont think it just spawns civs what arent playing, as iv tried a few times and they have all been countries that were british colonies/protecterates (south africa, australia, israel, america)

Which XML file do i edit to change the preffered list?

5. Willem

Willem Deity

CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml. There's a line at the bottom of the civ entry listing a Derivative Civ.

6. tech9374

tech9374 Chieftain

ok ill try thanks for your help

7. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

You can THINK whatever you want to think. The game mechanics are what they are.

I'm flat-out telling you, the game RANDOMLY picks an available unused civ (at RANDOM)... there is the "Derivative" Civ in the XML as previously explained, but it's only used if that Civ is unused (ie: if the Derivative civ is "America" and America is available, you'll get America... but if America is already in-game, then you'll get a totally random civ... it might be France, it might be Japan... it's RANDOM).

It does not matter what map you are playing... it does not matter what civ you are... it does not matter where on the map the colony is... other then using an unused derivative civ, the game will choose a RANDOM available civ... you can play the earth map all you want and think the game goes about it differently because it's earth... but I'm telling you that's not how the game works.

8. Willem

Willem Deity

Exactly. If you're getting a colony named South Africa, then you're using a mod that has added South Africa as a civ in the game. It's impossible to get it any other way, you can only have civs that are actually in the game but unused at that time.

9. tech9374

tech9374 Chieftain

Ok, ok, i see the deractive civ, but is there anyway to set more than 1 civ?

thanks

10. digitCruncher

digitCruncher Emperor

You CANNOT choose what civ is your colony. At all. Period (or full-stop). Ever.

Its that simple. It is chosen randomly, and some civs (America, for example) have a higher chance of appearing.

11. tech9374

tech9374 Chieftain

You not read the thread? u can choose the colony via derativciv

i have tested it with 4 different civs and it DOES work

12. Willem

Willem Deity

Provided thciv isn't in the game at the time. BTW, did you figure out how to get more than one? Maybe you should try having two names on the same line seperated by a comma. I read a post mentioning that works with some entries, though not all.

13. DanF5771

DanF5771 Emperor

Edit xml - spawn a colony - edit xml - restart game - spawn a colony ... works but feels like cheating ...

14. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

That's NOT how it works... no Civ has "more" of a chance then another... simply-put, America (by default) is listed as a derivative civ of a lot of nations, but other then derivative civ-listing, each available civ has the same RANDOM chance of appearing as a colony.

To my knowledge... no... you can't list more then one derivative civ (I wish you could, I would do it too).

15. Dresden

Dresden Emperor

Unless you modify the SDK, you can't have more than one derivative civ as the derivative civ is internally stored as a single integer (ID of the civ).

16. macmert

macmert Prince

uhh... sorry to bother... but...

What is the colony feature???

17. Draknith

Draknith King

It's the ability to form a colony (very friendly vassal) on another landmass not connected to your own, as long as there are 2 cities on that landmass. Once you have built the cities, press the F1 key and you will see your cities populate with some of them having a red fist next to them. If you click on the red fist in the lower right hand corner (i believe this is correct) a new tab will open allowing you to either create a colony, or liberate those cities to another player.

18. Willem

Willem Deity

It's only available with BtS.

19. Turquoiside

Turquoiside Emperor

What you guys are saying confuses me. If America isn't in the game, in my experience the colony that spawns is always them. Not once have I played without that happening. If I'm Ottoman and America exist, Spain is automatically spawn. I'm pretty sure it is pre-set in some way by your civ.

20. macmert

macmert Prince

Ah... I was wondering about the red fists :) Thank you...