Question about drafting in Civ3

Gomurr

the Ancient
I'm a little confused on how one can determine how many units will be drafted from a city. Is there some sort of correlation between city size and number of units drafted, or is it just a set number that is drafted or something? If someone could clear this up for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Draft rate depends on your government. Look for the pedia entries. I can't recall what the numbers are.

Depends on Govt, and you can't draft from any city less than size 7.
IIRC:
Republic/Democracy - 1 unit/turn
Monarchy - 2 units/turn
Commie - 3 units/turn
Others - never used them so I couldn't say!

Neil. :cool:

Are these numbers controlled by the "Draft Limit" in the Civ Editor's Government tab?

Yeah, that's the correct tab (it is in the government's area, right?).

eldar has the correct stats - Facism has 3 units/turn, and I believe Feudalism has 2, but I'm not sure.

Remember, it makes 1 citizen per unit drafted unhappy for 20 turns.

alright. That sets me straight, then. Thanks thetrooper, eldar, and ginger ale. your help is much appreciated.

Gomurr said:
alright. That sets me straight, then. Thanks thetrooper, eldar, and ginger ale. your help is much appreciated.

Keep in mind that your citizens don't like being drafted. Everytime you do so, you're creating unhappiness in the city for 20 turns. Do it to many times, and the city will soon be in revolt. With proper planning of your regular troops, you shouldn't even have to use it, though sometimes it can come in handy as a last resort.

It can be very useful though if you expect to be on the defensive early on in a war and want lots of cheap defenders just in case the enemy attacks in force.

Willem said:
Keep in mind that your citizens don't like being drafted. Everytime you do so, you're creating unhappiness in the city for 20 turns. Do it to many times, and the city will soon be in revolt. With proper planning of your regular troops, you shouldn't even have to use it, though sometimes it can come in handy as a last resort.

I didn't know that :eek: , thanks for the new info ;) :goodjob:

Dell19 said:
It can be very useful though if you expect to be on the defensive early on in a war and want lots of cheap defenders just in case the enemy attacks in force.
It's also usefull if you have some Isolated colony which has not built any defeders yet to save on maintinence, and is suddenly threatened by enemies. Or, if your fron lines are somehow breached and your core cities are left undefended. You can quickly throw up a bit of a meat shield without having to divert units from more important tasks. (If there are any. otherwise you could just zip on back, as you most likley have rails already if you're drafting during a war)

Yeah their use would be huge if the AI used heavy bombing so that core cities might actually have to defend themselves but usually railroads just make it a case of moving some troops back from the front line to kill a few units dropped by a transport.

Is there a way to reduce the unhappiness caused by drafting? I was pretty much trying to figure it out for a slight bit of editing I'm planning for the Warhammer 2.0 mod on my computer. I'm planning on giving the Reikland civ the ability to draft the "Free Companies" - irregular adventurers, ruffians and street toughs recruited by the local lords into rather disorderly regiments of militia soldiers. They're recruited for two reasons - both because they're cheap soldiers with some sense of what they're doing, and so that they aren't running around the cities starting fights, mugging and robbing people, and generally causing trouble. As such, recruiting a Free Company from a city would actually reduce crime and increase happiness. For the purposes of the game, I have no intention of having drafted soldiers increase happiness, but it would be nice if there were a way to make the city not grow unhappy because of the loss of its troublemakers.

Can that be done for specific governments though? Because if I made a "Holy Empire of Sigmar" government, and only gave the advance to Reikland and made the advance untradeable, I could effectively make the varying unhappiness durations civ-specific.

Also, where exactly in the editor can I edit the duration of unhappiness caused by drafting? Draft limit controls how many units are drafted per turn, but I didn't notice anything indicating the unhappiness caused.

k. Well, thanks for the help. Applying this drafting rule just got a bit trickier. :)

You know, from a strategy standpoint, it would be better to cashrush the unit(if possible), since that would give you a regular/veteran, wheras drafting gets you a conscript(2hp) I'd only use it if you are desperate. Also, try this. Create a UU for the civ that requires population. I don't know how you could get it to improve happieness, but you can get regular units to cost population.

While you are certainly right about hurrying units being strategically better than drafting them, I was not inquiring about this from a strategic standpoint. The Free Companies are, after all, free to recruit. (plus I have mercenaries set up to be purchased swiftly, and I want Free Companies to be recruited differently). And as for costing population, the Free Companies aren't really a draw on the general populace of a city - its more the travellers, layabouts, thugs and others who don't really contribute to the city. So penalizing the city by drawing away a population point to recruit a Free Company wouldn't reflect what I want.

However, since in the WH2 mod the civs that can draft units aren't the kind to get upset over it, I'm just reducing how upset cities get over drafted units and granting Reikland the ability to call upon the Free Companies via a draft.

Top Bottom