Question about European trade companies/India

THEK1NG

Chieftain
Hi,

I know there will be an event where a bunch of European soldiers will spawn at my cities. My question is which civs will have soldiers in my borders, what cities will be attacked and how many soldiers will be there?

I am already expecting the British (and their deadly Redcoats). Is there any good unit that can counter the Redcoats? India's production is so it's going to be hard to create enough units to stop them.

Here are two related pictures

Trading companies work like this:

Portugal: 3 (5 for the AI) city choices of Sao Salvador, Quelimane, Muscat, Goa, Cochin, Malakka, & Cantao. usually they get a ratio of 4 offensive units to 2 siege units.

Spain: Always Manila, usually just a settler, two defenders, & 2 workers.

France: 1 city in southern india, 6/3 ratio for offensive/siege.

Britain: 3 cities in india, same ratio as France 6/3 offensive/siege.

Netherlands: 3 cities in Indonesia, 4/2 Offensive/Siege.

You can also find the city attack list in the civlopedia.

Britain is your main threat, although sometimes they end up going to war with France when one of them already has cities. Your best option is to spam siege elephants and your best offensive unit to take out the stacks. (India actually has pretty decent production, but only around Delhi & Azimabad). If you're desperate you can also adopt the mercenary civic and hire a huge army instantly to fend off the invaders.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the help!! I'm at 1517 right now and I'm gonna start my elephant spam production using mercenaries.

As you said, the only good production cities in India are the ones in the north (including the Pakistani one). They've been building my units but I'm gonna start using mercenaries in order to speed up the army production

Production in India:

Guilds + Workshop the floodplains. Because of excess food even with them it is quite possible as Mughals to be the most productive civilization in the world - when I take India as England the Azimabad equivalent is often my most productive city in the world.

Another idea: neglect certain cities to give the worked tiles to another. A large Vijayanagara or Madras doesn't do wonders for your stability, if I'm not mistaken.

As for beating the Trading Companies: Siege. A lot of it. Have enough non-siege units to clean up afterwards. Much the same as defeating conquerors as Inca, Aztecs, or Maya.

Another idea is letting the trading company to steal your cities. Then you have to face just three redcoats, so you will have the money, the units, the cities and one more religion. But sieging is much more amusing.

Or you just invade England. That usually deals with the problem.

I would be pretty interested to see how one could get to Astronomy and build a army and the navy to carry it before the TC event happens.

I used to be able to pull it off before India got whacked with the nerfstick. Now, India has a painfully slow tech rate.

I bought out a lot of troops with mercenaries. Everyone hates me, the only person I have good relations with is Iran, and they don't even control Iran (they control their capital but the rest is Mongol).

OFFTOPIC: This game is one of the best games I've played yet. Both the Chinese and the Mongols are surviving and thriving, with scores almost near mine, partly because of me giving my starting techs for terrible deals. Every civ was either Cautious or below with me (except for Tibet, my vassal, and Iran). No communication with any other Islamic civ besides Iran, which was far behind in tech, so I was basically researching alone. Didn't matter cause I had such a large lead I could drop research and focus on military for a few decades.

Back on topic, when do the European trading companies start spawning in my borders? And is there any way to stop them from showing up? (like discovering Britain before they find me)?

TC events for AI, triggered on discovering technology Economics/Astronomy for England&France&Holland/Portugal&Spain respectively. In general you can't avoid it.

The TC events trigger for humans when a civ that qualifies for the event builds the Trading Company national wonder, which requires Economics (except for Portugal and Spain, who can build it with Astronomy). AI gets it from discovering the relevant tech. The only way to stop it is to kill the civ before it can get the required tech.

The TC events trigger for humans when a civ that qualifies for the event builds the Trading Company national wonder, which requires Economics (except for Portugal and Spain, who can build it with Astronomy). AI gets it from discovering the relevant tech. The only way to stop it is to kill the civ before it can get the required tech.

But when they respawn the TC troops still come.

I think it is changed to rifling for the AI England, Netherlands and France.

I have said time and again, that India needs a total overhaul. The problem has been partly alleviated with RT's new map, but even that remains inaccurate since india is too small to replicate it historically. That, and the terrain is uncharacteristically flat while almost all of peninsular india is hilly. Not to mention hills in the Aravalli region. Then there are the ridiculously unhistorical spawn of the Mughals from the very heart of North india without flipping any Afghan cities. The TC events for India only continues the unhistorical circus of DOC India, because an entire 200 year period history of India which sits between the destruction of the Mughal empire and the rise of the British, characterized by the Marathas have been written off.

The British get a huge stack of soldiers in three places of peninsular india while the French get one large stack to take Cochin. The British attack Mumbai, Calcutta, and Chennai. As the Mughals (and even the Indians) I haven't had much problem teching up to rifling around the time of their invasion, so I had my own army of riflemen and cannons to fight them off. I don't know where this strategy stands for the present version though, so I'm gonna download it now and see.

P.S : The Marathas are my favorite early modern dynasty in India and I'm still completely pissed that Leoreth didn't give them a place in this mod. As much as I am pissed each time I see the Mughals filling in for what should be india in the modern world !

P.S : The Marathas are my favorite early modern dynasty in India and I'm still completely pissed that Leoreth didn't give them a place in this mod. As much as I am pissed each time I see the Mughals filling in for what should be india in the modern world !
Calm down.

I have said time and again, that India needs a total overhaul. The problem has been partly alleviated with RT's new map, but even that remains inaccurate since india is too small to replicate it historically. That, and the terrain is uncharacteristically flat while almost all of peninsular india is hilly. Not to mention hills in the Aravalli region. Then there are the ridiculously unhistorical spawn of the Mughals from the very heart of North india without flipping any Afghan cities. The TC events for India only continues the unhistorical circus of DOC India, because an entire 200 year period history of India which sits between the destruction of the Mughal empire and the rise of the British, characterized by the Marathas have been written off.

The British get a huge stack of soldiers in three places of peninsular india while the French get one large stack to take Cochin. The British attack Mumbai, Calcutta, and Chennai. As the Mughals (and even the Indians) I haven't had much problem teching up to rifling around the time of their invasion, so I had my own army of riflemen and cannons to fight them off. I don't know where this strategy stands for the present version though, so I'm gonna download it now and see.

India's tech rate has been nerfed, so I'm not sure how easy that would be. (Leoreth unnerf plz). I remember suggesting over a year ago that the Marathas be added as a civ, because they are quite important, and I think Leoreth said that he wasn't against it.

That being said, I also think an India overhaul is a good idea.

Leoreth's in my India history discussion group too, he can get some good sources from there for referring.

The thing that should be remembered is that the British conquered India through diplomacy, trade and intrigue and not outright conquest. Its not like the Spanish conquest of the Aztecs. In-game the means extensive use of espionage and diplomacy to conquer India over a 100 year period. (British conquest lasted roughly from 1757 - Usurpation of Bengal to 1849 annexation of Punjab) . That it must be remembered was only possible because the Marathas which were then the only indigenous uniting empire in India at the time became weak.

The Mughals had been practically wiped out by the early 18th century. IT didn't last long after Aurangzeb went and by 1730 the Marathas were riding into Delhi !

Then there are also the Carnatic wars to consider. I think a proper in-game simulation of the Indian situation should be one of complete mad chaos with huge stacks of powerful armies killing each other for the control of India ! In the least, at least alter the 1700 AD scenario. Wipe out the Mughals ( have 3 independents represent the post 1700s Mughals with one kingdom in Bengal, one in Awadh/Varanasi, and including Delhi and Lahore.

The Marathas control all of Central india and South india. It would be difficult considering how small india is compared to its historical size. You practically have Calcutta in Orissa !

Top Bottom