question about liberating civs

Dushku

Prince
Here's where I'm at:

Spoiler :

I took over Amsterdam, then Greece took over Rotterdam and Utrecht, eliminating William from the game. If I conquer Rotterdam, will I be offered the option to liberate William? If so, and I turn it down, will I get the option after taking Utrecht? Or will the option only appear for Utrecht since that was the last to fall? Or is it that because I took William's initial capital, the option to liberate him will never appear for me?

I kind of want to keep Rotterdam as a staging grounds on my way to Athens. I'm wondering how worth it it would be to take Utrecht and liberate William just to have another trading partner. I already have access to 7 Ivory, so having as many trading partners would be good, yes? Still pretty new to domination, so let me know if I'm way off the mark here.

You can liberate a city that was not someone's original capital

I think the only reason you can't liberate is if
1. you were the one that killed them
and possibly
2. you were at war with them when they were eliminated

I was able to liberate a civ I was at war with when they were eliminated in my last game (I did NOT eliminate them, but I took their capitol already and WAS still at war when they were put out...)

I would note that they still hate me, but I don't care, I got open borders with them when I liberated them and they vote for me in WC...still, if you're looking for a good trading partner, they are not likely to offer much since you still have their original cap...

Crus8r

Any time you take a city that ever belonged to another civilization besides yourself and the person you are at war with, you have the option to liberate it. This includes if the civilization you'd be liberating is still alive. I'm not sure if you can liberate the city of a civilization you're at war with, however.

In my last game I was able to Recall To Life a civ that died while I was at war with them. (But I was not the one who killed them off.) That really surprised me as I am certain that Liberate is not always an option! Maybe the rules changed with the last patch? Or maybe it depends if they died early, while your treaty to war was still binding? Or maybe the civ turn order matters some how?

I have been actively at war with a civ and still had the option to liberate their cities (either I conquered it from their allied CS or third civ I was also at war with at the time). That can situationally be of use, as my wounded units teleported away, out of immediate danger.

Top Bottom