Question about monasteries.

mmmfloorpie

Chieftain
Do monasteries continue to give their benefits after scientific method is researched?

I know you can't build them afterwards, but my strategy has always been to delay scientific method as long as possible so I can build as many monasteries as possible.

If they lose all their benefits, however, I'll stop doing this!

They only give culture after scientific method. You need monasteries to build missionaries without organised religion though.

You don't want to delay SM too long, as there are several valuable techs and prizes waiting on the other side: Physics (free GS), Biology, Communism (free GSpy), etc.

It does make the Great Library obsolete, however.

If I have the GL (which I usually do), what I try to do once SM is directly available for research is time it so I acquire SM right after the GL city produces its last GL-accelerated Great Person. When it's available, a Great Scientist will research part of SM, which can make it cheaper to acquire through trade, as it is an expensive tech.

So long as you have at least one monastery built for each religion present in your civilization, you're good to go. As PS said, you'll lose the +10% research after SM and only retain the culture and ability to build missionaries (which is handy if you switch to free religion for the +1 :) for each religion in a city.)

I think you also lose the gold, research and culture if you have the appropriate wonders.

I think you also lose the hammer, gold, research and culture if you have the appropriate wonders.
That's correct, yes--the AP, Spiral Minaret, and/or U of Sankore effects on monasteries are lost once you obtain Scientific Method. If you've got that full trifecta in play, you usually want to delay SM as long as it seems feasible. If you can raise your EPs against your main competitors so you know what they're researching, you might want to wait until you see one of them researching it before going after it yourself. Even then, it depends how badly you want/need to win the Physics/Communism races and so on.

You can continue to build missionaries after discovering Scientific Method when not Organised Religion.

(I was surprised to discover this as I delayed exchanging for it, I am currently in Free Religion).

To replace some (or all, maybe) of the science output, build a few Observatories (available at Astronomy, not too surprisingly). Although rather than replacing the output after the loss you might want to build a few before the monasteries go obsolete.

Or just edit the files and tell the Monasteries not to go obsolete......This is what I have done (similar with walls and castles), it is stupid that just because you have scientific method, people abandon the monasteries, as they are still around (and because you can still run a religious civic)

Same for walls/castles.....oh, we have gunpowder, break down them walls!!!! Hell no, enemies still have melee/horses/archers, leave them walls alone!

Or just edit the files and tell the Monasteries not to go obsolete......This is what I have done (similar with walls and castles), it is stupid that just because you have scientific method, people abandon the monasteries, as they are still around (and because you can still run a religious civic)

Same for walls/castles.....oh, we have gunpowder, break down them walls!!!! Hell no, enemies still have melee/horses/archers, leave them walls alone!

The reason this is done (from a historic point of view) was because during the middle ages, in the absence of any type of schools or any sort of public education outside courts and palaces, monasteries were sort of scholastic haven.
Monks were among the few people who were actually literate.

Once science (as we know it today) started developing, due to scientific method, it moved from monasteries and monks to universities and scientists.
So, yes, we still have monasteries today, but they are everything but a scientific center :D

Same goes for walls and castles, which were rendered useless once people started bringing cannons into a fight. No point at building something so massive, that probably coasted a lot, if the enemy can demolish it in few minutes with cannon shots :)

With those edits, Monasteries and Castles will become priority builds. I've usually got the AP religion Monasteries anyway, so that'll help me a lot. You've actually found a way to buff Protective slightly so it's more competitive as a trait.

I usually try for the AP religion and the others of the trifecta if I can, so I do delay Scientific Method somewhat. With your system Scientific Method will become a priority. In RFC Scientific Method is a priority tech regardless.

Top Bottom